Default Removal of rear springs?

Does anyone have a write up or can point me to a direction on how to remove the rear springs for '98 XC?

I've only changed the coil over type style like in the fronts. Do I need to compress the spring with a compressor while it is on the car, or does it drop out somehow?

THANKS
    1998 V70XC

i did this with a friend a while back, and don't remember using a spring compressor for the rear. it is very tight in there, however. we removed the bolt that has its head facing down towards the ground in the circular bushing area there the wishbone to the rear is anchored up front.

thats about as best as I can do to describe it. you know you need a special tool to remove the rear shocks...or at least make it easier to do?

rodrigo
    Notre équipe, c'est couleuvre...et dans couleuvre il-y-a le mot cool. Alors, on va ce la jouer plutôt cool...que Vipère

I'll be holding off on replacing the nivomats for right now. I bought a set of bilstein tc's for the front, and I am going to be ordering a set of tme lowering springs from ipd on tuesday.

Do you remember, once you removed that bolt, was the spring still under heavy compression? I just don't want that thing flying out of there and putting a hole through my chest.
    1998 V70XC

Quote Originally Posted by BlackStarPower View Post
    I'll be holding off on replacing the nivomats for right now. I bought a set of bilstein tc's for the front, and I am going to be ordering a set of tme lowering springs from ipd on tuesday.

Do you remember, once you removed that bolt, was the spring still under heavy compression? I just don't want that thing flying out of there and putting a hole through my chest.
    it was not under comprssion.
    IPD no longer has AWD lowering springs. wait for Kaplheke coilovers or go KW V3's, which are BIG bank!!

rodrigo
    Notre équipe, c'est couleuvre...et dans couleuvre il-y-a le mot cool. Alors, on va ce la jouer plutôt cool...que Vipère

Hi! I am trying to remove the rear springs on my old 2000 V70 Cross Country but I am not successfull. I got some tips from a friend to use a jack under the control arm to lower it once I removed the bolts holding the nivomat shocks. But the control arm will not lower. I even removed the whole shock and nothing happens. I found some information about removing a nut on the underside of the spring but the there is nothing under the bushing/holder. I am only able to find videos or pictures of the regular V70. Please enlighten me.

Best regards
    Thomas

Nivomat Shocks are of a self-leveling type which are used in conjunction with the alongside coil springs which are 'softer' due to the nature of the 'self-levelling' design whereas the shock itself absorbs some of the 'normally' spring function.
    If not aware of this , it's easy to mis-match parts.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	prod_7031279824.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	6.4 KB 
ID:	7914
    Coil Spring Compressor...
    Last edited by JBMorris; 09-14-2016 at 05:17 PM.