Default Make a copy of a nav dvd

I tried to make a copy of my nav dvd, i did this because the dvd costs a fortune and when i use the car with the seat all the way back, my heel flips the dvd players door and the dvd is ejected and i almost broke it ( and if its damaged i have to buy a new one, there is no replacment deal ). But when i use the copy sometimes it doesnt work, i get a "could not read dvd" message. But when the car havent been used for a while it works fine again, then i stop and it will not work at once, i have to wait a couple of hours(not use the car). The original works great every time. I tried the copy in my friends car with same specs and year and in his it doesnt work at all, only gets a "DTC 2000:dvd error" but his original works also great. So is there anybody thats know why my copy works sporadic in my car, never in my friends car, but mine and his original works great in both cars? Is there someone that have made a copy that works as the original?
    NO(R)WAY

There are few variables that could cause your issues. The type/brand of media, the write speed, and the dvd drive itself. Check out the faq here, that might help you out.

I have a 2004 version of the Volvo Euro DVD I no longer need, want to buy it, cheap?
    Russ
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -- Edmund Burke
    2005 XC90 V8 ( ), Silver with Touring, Climate, Convenience, Nav and DVD

Quote Originally Posted by Bobalouie3 View Post
    I have a 2004 version of the Volvo Euro DVD I no longer need, want to buy it, cheap?
    PM sent to you Bobalouie

Yesterday i did it again and almost broke the dvd, so now i have used some real "Mcgyver" tape to secure the dvd hatch.
    NO(R)WAY

Default Re: Make a copy of a nav dvd

Quote Originally Posted by No(r)way View Post
    Yesterday i did it again and almost broke the dvd, so now i have used some real "Mcgyver" tape to secure the dvd hatch.
    Our feet frequently hit the DVD player, too. Stupid place to mount it. I made a shield by cutting a refrigerator storage container in two and fastening it to the floor with velcro; sort of works.

What DVD media format (dual layer +R or -R) and brand did you use for your copy? Brands sourced in China, Hong Kong and Taiwan are known to be of poor quality.
    '04 XC90 2.5T, ~170K miles, ash gold/graphite, 7-seater, towing, nav
    "Objects in the mirror may be just as they appear." - Steve Forbert

I used Verbatim dvd+r dl, and it works sometimes in my car but never in my friends car and its the same yearmodel and specs. So now me and my friend have locked our dvd players with tape. We tried also to make a copy of his dvd also, but its the same, works sporadicly in my car and never in his.
    NO(R)WAY

Default Re: Make a copy of a nav dvd

Quote Originally Posted by No(r)way View Post
    I used Verbatim dvd+r dl, and it works sometimes in my car but never in my friends car and its the same yearmodel and specs. So now me and my friend have locked our dvd players with tape. We tried also to make a copy of his dvd also, but its the same, works sporadicly in my car and never in his.
    Verbatim is high-quality media although they were reported to have had a bad supplier in 2002. If your disk is recent that should not be the problem although I might burn another disk to be more confident. Your European market may use different disk suppliers, too.

I assume your friend uses the same nav system version. If his DVD is a newer version that might explain why your older copy does not work.
    '04 XC90 2.5T, ~170K miles, ash gold/graphite, 7-seater, towing, nav
    "Objects in the mirror may be just as they appear." - Steve Forbert

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    I assume your friend uses the same nav system version. If his DVD is a newer version that might explain why your older copy does not work.
    We both have the same version nav dvd, both originals works great in both cars. So our solution on the problem is taped dvd hatches to avoid damaging the dvds. That dvdplayer is so on the wrong place
    NO(R)WAY

Is it possible the dvd has a copy protection built in?

There are many programs that can remove this protection so you can write to another disk. I use one to put my dvds on my ipod/itunes.

2005 XC70 Barents Blue & Taupe leather, deliv. 12/04, built 11/04
    Prem / Conv / Climate / DSTC / NAV / 650 / Sirius / 60/40 / 3rd Row / Boosters / Thule / Weathertech mats / Mud Flaps / 46% Tint / Nokian WR SUVs

serviced by Red Bank Volvo, NJ & Volvo Westport, CT
    2001 V70XC~someone else's problem vehicle now
    VolvoClub ofAmerica