Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default DSTC or STC standard on my 2004 XC70???

I searched the forums and saw bits and pieces on this subject (ESC or DSTC as Volvo calls it but I am truly confused as to whether my car has it. I want to be sure because many call stability control the most important safety feature ever. My window sticker says nothing about it--says the car has "TRACS" traction control.

Owner's manual says DSTC is standard on T5 Turbo and R, and that there should be a button to turn it off---I've got no button, but aren't all the XC70's T5 Turbo's??

Seems like it should be obvious but it is not--am I missing something here?

Thanks for your help.

Hi, and welcome on the forum!
    The XC's engine is a 2.5T, not a T5.
    DSTC can be standard or optional, depending on the country/region/market the car is made (configured) for.
    Indeed, DSTC cars have a button in the centre console to turn it off (some functions will stay active)
    Willy
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

I think STC is standard and DSTC is optional on the US spec models. Should be a button for one or the other (usually fourth from left under climate controls).
    2001 Volvo V70XC
    Venitian Red/Beige
    Cold Weather/Touring/Premium packages
    08/01 Build Date

Quote Originally Posted by beloosh View Post

Owner's manual says DSTC is standard on T5 Turbo and R, and that there should be a button to turn it off---I've got no button, but aren't all the XC70's T5 Turbo's??

Seems like it should be obvious but it is not--am I missing something here?

Thanks for your help.
    No and no.
    You don't have a T5 and you don't have DSTC

The T5 is the high pressure turbo, while the XC70 is the low presure turbo, with a different package of stuff inside. In US, DSTC was optional until the '07 model year, when it became standard. I have heard that is was fairly hard to find a pre'07 that actually had the DSTC installed. In the '07, there is no dash button. It is controlled by the multi purpose turn signal stalk - rotate the silver ring through miles per gallon, miles to empty, etc and you will get to DSTC. The default is ON, but you can turn off part of the system (traction part) by holding the reset button on the stalk, same way you reset the MPG, etc.
    Mike
    ----------------
    '09 XC70 T6
    '07 XC70
    '98 V70M
    '98 S70 T5M
    '95 855T
    '84 MB 380SL

So it sounds like no button = no DSTC or STC, but a different more basic traction control, yes?

Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by beloosh View Post
    So it sounds like no button = no DSTC or STC, but a different more basic traction control, yes?

Thanks for your help.
    NO, not really, AWD is supposed to get you going

Canada: Calgary Alberta - Panorama Mountain BC - Pender Island BC

For the '04 model year (which is what I drive) no button means no DSTC.

You still have AWD and STC.

STC is not the same as DSTC but it does help to keep your wheels moving in icy conditions. DSTC, on the other hand, dynamically brakes various wheels to help you keep control while turning a corner in slippery conditions.

FWIT, very few cars were actually sold with DSTC as it was an expensive option. Starting in '07, Volvo has included DSTC in their basic car in viedw of the the additonal safety aspects it offers.

Hope this helps.

John
    '04 XC70 Canadian Premium and Sport packages, Black (425,000 kms)
    '06 XC70 Ocean Race Model, IPD to 240 hp, 18" rims, Deep Blue
    Other rigs: '06 Toyota Avalon, '15 Jeep Grand Cherokee, '23 BMW330e (Plug-In-Hybrid)

Quote Originally Posted by John@CdnRockies View Post
    For the '04 model year (which is what I drive) no button means no DSTC.

You still have AWD and STC.

STC is not the same as DSTC but it does help to keep your wheels moving in icy conditions. DSTC, on the other hand, dynamically brakes various wheels to help you keep control while turning a corner in slippery conditions.

FWIT, very few cars were actually sold with DSTC as it was an expensive option. Starting in '07, Volvo has included DSTC in their basic car in viedw of the the additonal safety aspects it offers.

Hope this helps.

John
    STC is simple stability control, not really traction control

Default Dealer and mechanics also confused on DSTC!!!

Thanks for all your help....interestingly I called the place I bought it--turned out the salesmen, mechanics all eventually came out arguing about it (slow day I guess), they ended up calling a service department training superviser or something, then the owner of the dealership.

They are trying to say the "DSTC was standard on xc70, just the turn-off button was optional."

I tend to think what you have said in these replies makes more sense.

Guess gotta buy a 07 to be sure of what you are getting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast