Default Popping off rivets for mud flaps..suggestions

Unbelievable...I recieved my front and rear mud flaps today. I expected a simple phillips screw on type install. Nope, they have RIVETS! Can anyone explain a simple way to "pop" the factory rivets out...can I do this with a thin screw driver blade OR, do I need a rivet gun? As simple of an install this should be, I gotta pull off the tires ...aaargh ;-)
    airlaird

Just drill the center out. Start with a small bit and work up until it comes loose. Once you have the size, use a small bit first so it will center easier and then use the size that gets it loose.

Remember that the part to drill out is about the size of a medium nail, so dont use too large of a bit or you will make the hole larger and the next rivit will be loose.

Dont tell me you dont have a pop-rivit gun.. Those are the best thing around, no more screws getting loose.
    2000 F350, 4x4, Crewcab, 7.3L Turbo Powerstroke Diesel
    2005 XC90 2.5T OSD 06/2005

Default Thanks..2 more questions

Quote Originally Posted by dmd View Post
    Just drill the center out. Start with a small bit and work up until it comes loose. Once you have the size, use a small bit first so it will center easier and then use the size that gets it loose.

Remember that the part to drill out is about the size of a medium nail, so dont use too large of a bit or you will make the hole larger and the next rivit will be loose.

Dont tell me you dont have a pop-rivit gun.. Those are the best thing around, no more screws getting loose.
    I should have figured a fellow Texas knows about rivets ;-). OK, so I drill out the factory rivet and simply pull it out with pliers? And since I don't have a rivet gun can the new rivet be simply pushed in..or hammered in?
    airlaird (embarassed because I don't own a rivet gun) ;-)

Drill them out with a 6mm (1/4") drill bit. When the head of the rivet is gone, just push them out with a screwdriver. Take one of your new rivets with you and go to your local hardware store and buy a cheap rivet "gun" that is able to "pop" your new rivets, its the only way to "pop" them. You dont need to take off your front wheels to be able to fit the mudflaps, but in the rear end you have to remove the wheels. The whole opperation takes about 20min.
    NO(R)WAY

Perfect..thankyou!
    airlaird ( buying a new rivet gun for Christmas)

You will find MANY uses for it. They ususlly come with the tool and some misc sizes of rivits. Sure is a lot better than trying to use little bolts and nuts.
    2000 F350, 4x4, Crewcab, 7.3L Turbo Powerstroke Diesel
    2005 XC90 2.5T OSD 06/2005