Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I just took off the baffle and I love it! There is better throttle response for sure, and definitley more punch when taking off from around 30-40. At least it felt faster to me, but that could just be my mind telling me. Regardless, this car is fun to drive! Thanks for the heads up on this tip Hunter!

Default Glad you all enjoy the freedom

So far so good. I have not experienced any issues with removing the baffle. I have read on www.turbobricks.com adding a product called Aquamist is added to their turbos to help cool the turbo when more boost is added. So a little more moisture might help give us some added power and some longevity. I can't confirm that but it sounds good. I am going to track down the front scoop so I can set it up correctly. I might have to find a wrecked 850. Anyone know of a good u pull it in Philly area?

Hunter
    Hunter Davis
    Y2K V70 XC SE...54K.

Queens, New York City, United States Of America

dont know if water being sucked into the motor is any good, not to criticize you. I'm going to try and remove mine, and see how bad it might look if any water could be a major factor. Wonder about snow, and if it would be sucked it to ?
    TyranT
    2007 Nissan Altima 2.5S CVT
    HID 6000k,LED'S 20% tint
    2000 Volvo V70XC AWD (SOLD)
    HID Lows/Fogs 6000k, 50%/35% tint, Dual Exhaust, Speedtuning ECU upgrade
    1997 Volvo 965 - 50%/35% tint
    1997 Nissan Altima HID 6000k/ Intake

Quote Originally Posted by Y2K VOLVO View Post
    So a little more moisture might help give us some added power and some longevity.
    aquamist is controlled...
    We have 13g's which run out of efficiency pretty quick.
    16T, RICA or Upsolute (or which ever does dyno tuning), 3" d/p, race cat, exhaust, intake...then consider aquamist. The power levels attainable on a 13g are so limited that by adding aquamist the gains would be pointless....and you are still on a 13g, where as the 16T flows a lot better.

just my .02
    Last edited by rodrigo; 12-12-2006 at 08:30 PM.

rodrigo
    Notre équipe, c'est couleuvre...et dans couleuvre il-y-a le mot cool. Alors, on va ce la jouer plutôt cool...que Vipère

Quote Originally Posted by Y2K VOLVO View Post
    So far so good.... I am going to track down the front scoop so I can set it up correctly. I might have to find a wrecked 850. Anyone know of a good u pull it in Philly area?

Hunter
    Can't you just get a "scoop" from a V70R and install it? Does this scoop offer snow and rain inhalation protection?

Does any body have a picture of the "scoop"?

Default That is true

Thanks Rodrigo for the post. I totally understand what you are talking about. I was trying to make a comparison to Aquamist in a simplified way. The amount of water getting into the intake is minimal. When removing the baffle the car now has a "ram air" induction effect. This is similar to the 496 cross air induction that chevy built back in the 60's When removing the baffle theoretically it now provides cooler air when added with the water that will be sucked in when driving. The tubo will work less hard because now the air is being forced into it. It will be minimal because the air filter will help to reduce the amount of water that gets sucked into the engine itself because it is a paper filter. Volvo has over engineered the airbox. Stick with the what Volvo intended. You can't go wrong.
    I have a 945Tic that is boosted with nice upgrades and has a similar "ramair induction" that I have been driving for the past three years. The car has not had any problems yet. My compression is still high and I have driven this car through MANY rainstorms.
    I have a friend who had one of the first M3's in PA. It had a similar scoop that pulled air in from the air dam down by the pavement. He went through a huge puddle and sucked up water into the engine. He destroyed the engine because BMW had not designed the intake correctly. They replaced his engine for him at no charge.
    So anyway removing the baffle IMO is a great idea and I am not worried about how much water will be pulled in. It is above the bumper so that will block puddle water. The air filter sits parallel to the engine so how much water really will be pulled in? I don't think that much. Happy driving.
    Hunter Davis
    Y2K V70 XC SE...54K.

Just took the baffle off of my new XC,
    it does work, makes the car feel lighter on it feet.
    Now for a IPD chip.

Took mine off, didn't notice much of a difference.
    2008 XC90 3.2

Quote Originally Posted by codeyf View Post
    Took mine off, didn't notice much of a difference.
    take it up to highway speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolvolution1819 View Post
    take it up to highway speeds.
    I did. I don't think it was at all noticable. While I don't deny that it helps, the gains are probably minute.

Could just be me as well.
    2008 XC90 3.2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast