Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New ETM Recall

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    Agreed, I'm sure Don never intended to service the unit which is evident by the cut wires at the top of the VEXED picture.

I have my own ETM module to play with. I'll see what I can do.

Appreciate all the time and effort you put into this.

Thanks you - for everyone that has one of these ETMs...

I have a lot of patience myself and I'll try to find my ETM and see what I can do. I'll let everyone know what progress I'm making.

Perhaps it is a waste of time and effort, but I hate losing...

I enjoy challenges (which this appears to be)
    These have been failing now for several years.
    Don't you think that if someone could rebuild them and save a customer a couple of hundred or more, (before the service campaign and new warranty last spring came about),
    they already would have?
    Why waste your time when there must certainly must be other items you could spend the time playing with?

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    These have been failing now for several years.
    Don't you think that if someone could rebuild them and save a customer a couple of hundred or more, (before the service campaign and new warranty last spring came about),
    they already would have?
    Why waste your time when there must certainly must be other items you could spend the time playing with?
    What do you care how I spend my time?

As far as someone rebuilding them goes, I really don't know if anyone has tried to replace the potentiometer films! Do you know if anyone has even tried to contact Marelli-Magneti and asK?

Why do you have to be so negative?

I didn't ask for your smart ass remarks either!

If I want to waste my time fixing flasher modules, relays, TV's, CD Players, ETMs, ABS modules, bad solder joints, that's my ****ing business!

Cheers! Rebellious Rabbit
    1978 242 DL Sedan
    1989 240 DL Wagon (Beige)
    1989 240 DL Wagon (Silver)
    2000 V70 XC Moondust
    2000 V70 XC SE Moondust

What do you care how I spend my time?

As far as someone rebuilding them goes, I really don't know if anyone has tried to replace the potentiometer films! Do you know if anyone has even tried to contact Marelli-Magneti and asK?

Why do you have to be so negative?

I didn't ask for your smart ass remarks either!

If I want to waste my time fixing flasher modules, relays, TV's, CD Players, ETMs, ABS modules, bad solder joints, that's my ****ing business!

Cheers! Rebellious Rabbit
    Yes, I read where someone tried, no good.
    Americans and people in general are very ambitious, if there is a way TO MAKE MONEY, someone would be doing this already.
    It's not as if this is something new, they've been failing for 6 years now so I'm not being negative one bit, neither were there any "smart ass remarks" just being realistic.
    So, as I said, if you like doing this why don't you rebuild ABS modules cheaper than Victor and the others?
    For $75 bucks, (plus shipping) owners would be lining up at your door
    Really!

Whatever, JRL.....

I'll fix my own ABS module when it breaks instead of paying someone else to do it.

Just because others have failed at repairing ETMs, that doesn't mean that it's impossible! Being able to help others by learning how to replace the films (if they can be obtained from the Magneti folks) or by swaping the PCB from one ETM to another ETM is a victory - Perhaps avoiding a trip to a stealership hundreds of miles away. There are others here that don't have it easy, and there are those that like to try out ideas - like fixing something oneself.
    1978 242 DL Sedan
    1989 240 DL Wagon (Beige)
    1989 240 DL Wagon (Silver)
    2000 V70 XC Moondust
    2000 V70 XC SE Moondust

Unhappy

I understand what you're saying but there (obviously) must be a reason why many very capable people have not done it.
    Perhaps being an electronic part that can stall a motor in mid flight, MM is reluctant and rightly so, to provide any rebuild parts for the ETM?
    I could see the law suit now

Queens, New York City, United States Of America

Whatever, JRL.....

I'll fix my own ABS module when it breaks instead of paying someone else to do it.

Just because others have failed at repairing ETMs, that doesn't mean that it's impossible! Being able to help others by learning how to replace the films (if they can be obtained from the Magneti folks) or by swaping the PCB from one ETM to another ETM is a victory - Perhaps avoiding a trip to a stealership hundreds of miles away. There are others here that don't have it easy, and there are those that like to try out ideas - like fixing something oneself.
    Good point, but these thing shouldn't be failing, at least not so early, maybe over 15 years or more. Volvo really struck out, and so has it's owners. I guess for them to make a recall on all the cars for the Electric Throttle body, someone has to die in a traffic accident or soemthing real bad. That's what happened with the explorers a few years ago with the firestone tires, ppl had to die for them to recall them. Hmm ford, same thing with crown victoria's with the fuel tank( not to sure if someone died cause of those, for them to recall that) I heard the new camry's have faulty tranny's, will they do the right thing or shaft ppl like volvo has.
    TyranT
    2007 Nissan Altima 2.5S CVT
    HID 6000k,LED'S 20% tint
    2000 Volvo V70XC AWD (SOLD)
    HID Lows/Fogs 6000k, 50%/35% tint, Dual Exhaust, Speedtuning ECU upgrade
    1997 Volvo 965 - 50%/35% tint
    1997 Nissan Altima HID 6000k/ Intake

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrant11429 View Post
    Good point, but these thing shouldn't be failing, at least not so early, maybe over 15 years or more. Volvo really struck out, and so has it's owners. I guess for them to make a recall on all the cars for the Electric Throttle body, someone has to die in a traffic accident or soemthing real bad. That's what happened with the explorers a few years ago with the firestone tires, ppl had to die for them to recall them. Hmm ford, same thing with crown victoria's with the fuel tank( not to sure if someone died cause of those, for them to recall that) I heard the new camry's have faulty tranny's, will they do the right thing or shaft ppl like volvo has.
    As far as I know, no one died.
    But there have been several hairy incidents, not to mention MANY people getting stranded in the middle of nowhere, on a trip, 200 miles from a Volvo dealer.
    The new software will get you where you're going and you can get the throttle body fixed or relaced later

Default The Swedish Jaguar.

Fixing Volvo software so the engine will run longer is only part of the problem.

The other part of the issue is that Volvo should not be manufacturing cars that can realistically only be fixed at a Volvo dealer. A really dumb idea. Volvo owners do not want to be robbed by a Volvo dealership.

There are not now nor will there ever be Volvo dealers in large parts of the country. Volvo cars should not be driven into the parts of the country where they can't be fixed. It is more than ironic that a Volvo "Cross Country" shouldn't be driven cross country. I was lucky. I only had to "limp" for 20 miles on back roads to get to a Volvo dealership. Never, ever buy a Volvo unless you live and drive within 5-10 miles of a Volvo dealer.

It is not safe to drive a Volvo in "limp home" mode on I-5, I-10, or I-95. Would anyone voluntarily drive hundreds of miles at 30 mph. while traffic passed going 60-80 mph! I don't think so. How about trying to cross a low-level mountain pass (elev. 2400 ft.) to get to the nearest Volvo dealership. Doesn't sound like fun does it. Anyone want to "limp" in 110 degree temperatures on I-10 from Quartzite, AZ, over to Phoenix where a Volvo dealer is located? Not me.

The fact of the matter is that these Volvo cars, '99-'00 V70's, are now and will forever be defective until the throttle body is redesigned to eliminate the need for replacement. Nobody wants to be dependent on a Volvo dealership for repairs. (Are you listening Volvo?) Until Volvo designs a better car, the knowledgeable Volvo prospect will vote with his/her feet.

Volvo is now advertising "performance." They're desperately trying to sell to potential BMW/SAAB/Audi customers. It isn't working. "Performance" customers are not as dumb as Volvo thinks.

Volvo sales are declining. That's unfortunate. Volvos used to be a good car. Customers paid a premium to drive a Volvo. Not so anymore.

Volvo sales will continue to decline until they fix the defect and start to design, manufacture and sell what their customers demand, i.e. safe, reliable cars. Anything less and Volvo is just a Swedish Jaguar.

Edmonds17

This has all been said before.
    The TB design was changed in 2002, and with the new software it WILL NOT GO INTO LIMP MODE.
    Should it have been better, sure, but that's over and done with, the newest car that has it is now nearly 6 years old

JRL: You're right. It's all been said before. Unfortunately, Volvo refuses to listen.

The newest cars are now 6 yrs. old. It has been more than 6 yrs. and Volvo still hasn't redesigned the throttle body. The defect still keeps happening.

Volvo has stonewalled owners and government safety officials for all these years. Blamed owners for "bad gas" and for living in a rural area. (Seattle is a "rural area" if you never leave New Jersey.)

Volvo really wants these 6 and 7 yr. old cars to be taken off the road and scrapped. Not surprsingly, Volvo owners prefer to drive their cars regardless of age. (I see a number of people still driving 122/Amazons in daily use.) The problem just keeps festering.

How long will it take Volvo to notify owners of the safety recall? Answer: As long as possible.

We should all start counting the months until the recall notice is received. The recall was announced Nov. 23, 2006. They send me sales literature all the time asking me to buy a new Volvo. Let's just see how long it takes them to notify me of the safety recall. Any bets on how long it will take?

Edmonds17

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast