Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: New ETM Recall

Default New ETM Recall

A new recall has been announced recarding XC's and other Volvo models. Set forth below is the news announcement:

"More than half of the vehicles being recalled -- 170,099 -- are Volvo passenger cars, station wagons and sport utility vehicles from the 1999-2002 model years, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said.

Volvo Cars of North America, a unit of Ford Motor Co., is recalling vehicle speed controls on some C70, C70 convertible, S60, S70, S80, V70, V70XC and XC70 models. A malfunctioning electronic throttle module may cause the vehicles to unnecessarily go into "limp home" mode, in which the vehicle's speed is limited to 10 to 30 mph, NHTSA said.

Dealers will install upgraded software on the affected vehicles' electronic throttles."

I guess Volvo still won't admit the inherent design/manufacturing flaws involved in the throttle module. Seem to be blaming the software for "unnessarily" going into limp mode. Bah Humbug.

Edmonds17

Default NHTSA Recall Notice

Set forth below is the NHTSA recall notice.

Report Date : November 23, 2006 at 04:59 PM
    SEARCH TYPE : VEHICLE
    Make : VOLVO
    Model : V70XC
    Make : VOLVO Model : V70XC Year : 2000
    Manufacturer : VOLVO CARS OF N.A. LLC.
    NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 06V441000 Recall Date : NOV 14, 2006
    Component: VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL
    Potential Number Of Units Affected : 170099
    Summary:
    ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, A COMBINATION OF THROTTLE POSITIONING SENSOR IRREGULARITIES, A DIRTY THROTTLE HOUSING, AND/OR INEFFICIENT SOFTWARE CALIBRATION MAY CAUSE A WARNING LAMP TO LIGHT AND THE SUBSEQUENT ONSET OF LIMP HOME MODES.
    Consequence:
    THIS RESULTED IN A HIGH NUMBER OF VEHICLES GOING INTO THE LIMP HOME MODE WITHOUT NEED.
    Remedy:
    DEALERS WILL INSTALL THE CURRENT SOFTWARE UPGRADE ONTO THE INVOLVED VEHICLES. THE MANUFACTURER HAS NOT YET PROVIDED AN OWNER NOTIFICATION SCHEDULE FOR THIS RECALL. OWNERS MAY CONTACT VOLVO AT 1-800-458-1552.
    Notes:
    VOLVO RECALL NO. R155. CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

I hope this is helpful.

Edmonds17

it is indeed...i am going to look into this.

rodrigo
    Notre équipe, c'est couleuvre...et dans couleuvre il-y-a le mot cool. Alors, on va ce la jouer plutôt cool...que Vipère

Queens, New York City, United States Of America

So they still haven't come up with a new etm design ?
    TyranT
    2007 Nissan Altima 2.5S CVT
    HID 6000k,LED'S 20% tint
    2000 Volvo V70XC AWD (SOLD)
    HID Lows/Fogs 6000k, 50%/35% tint, Dual Exhaust, Speedtuning ECU upgrade
    1997 Volvo 965 - 50%/35% tint
    1997 Nissan Altima HID 6000k/ Intake

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrant11429 View Post
    So they still haven't come up with a new etm design ?
    nope...it is cheaper for them to replace it with the crappy ones and keep fixing them/uploading software/replacing them as they fail as opposed to making it an official recall (instead of making it a service bulletin to dumb the computer into thinking all is fine) where everyone will have to replace it.

rodrigo
    Notre équipe, c'est couleuvre...et dans couleuvre il-y-a le mot cool. Alors, on va ce la jouer plutôt cool...que Vipère

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonds17 View Post
    Set forth below is the NHTSA recall notice.

Report Date : November 23, 2006 at 04:59 PM
    SEARCH TYPE : VEHICLE
    Make : VOLVO
    Model : V70XC
    Make : VOLVO Model : V70XC Year : 2000
    Manufacturer : VOLVO CARS OF N.A. LLC.
    NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 06V441000 Recall Date : NOV 14, 2006
    Component: VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL
    Potential Number Of Units Affected : 170099
    Summary:
    ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, A COMBINATION OF THROTTLE POSITIONING SENSOR IRREGULARITIES, A DIRTY THROTTLE HOUSING, AND/OR INEFFICIENT SOFTWARE CALIBRATION MAY CAUSE A WARNING LAMP TO LIGHT AND THE SUBSEQUENT ONSET OF LIMP HOME MODES.
    Consequence:
    THIS RESULTED IN A HIGH NUMBER OF VEHICLES GOING INTO THE LIMP HOME MODE WITHOUT NEED.
    Remedy:
    DEALERS WILL INSTALL THE CURRENT SOFTWARE UPGRADE ONTO THE INVOLVED VEHICLES. THE MANUFACTURER HAS NOT YET PROVIDED AN OWNER NOTIFICATION SCHEDULE FOR THIS RECALL. OWNERS MAY CONTACT VOLVO AT 1-800-458-1552.
    Notes:
    VOLVO RECALL NO. R155. CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

I hope this is helpful.

Edmonds17
    Im sorry...im a bit confused..is this Bulletin #155? If so...B.155 was out on April (?) of '06

rodrigo

I reprinted the NHTSA defect recall notice verbatim.

It is quite possible that Volvo issued instructions to it's dealers long before NHTSA mandated the recall.

The important point is that, thanks to NHTSA, Volvo owners no longer have to wait to be stranded before the upgraded software will be installed.

The engine died on our XC long before the upgraded software was available. Dealer replaced the defective ETM with a new defective ETM. Now, I will be able to go into the dealer and get the upgraded software. I personally doubt that merely upgrading the software will cure the defect. Nevertheless, it is better than nothing.

Edmonds17

Default This is already in place right?

I wonder if this is a differnt "software upgrade" than the one that was connected to the Volvo recall that the Calif Dept of Emissions Control generated. Last Spring Volvo initiated an extended warrenty for the ETMs (up to 10 years and 200000 miles) in the US AND a software upgrade. I had the upgrade done when I had the car in for othe service. If this is new fine...otherwise they are simply saying that what they've already done fits the need...(which it doesn't).
    1999 V70 XC Dark Blue/Taupe - Gas/Auto Trans. with Nokian WRG2s 205/65/15
    2002 Acura TL White/Tan

My dealer did the upgrade to the software, when I took the car in for another repair. This was in early November, so apparently the dealers were already notified to do this.
    Greybeard
    2000 V70 XC-SE
    2002 Camaro Z28
    2001 Harley Electraglide Classic
    2009 Dodge Ram 1500

"The ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."

This is the same as last spring's 155 service "campaign" The only difference is that it's now a federal mandated recall, dealers have been doing it since April.
    There is NO new ETB design, there never will be, so deal with it.
    All the complaining won't get you anywhere.
    I have found that once the software is installed (and your TB is CLEAN) there have been few to no more failures of the throttle body and if there is, you will NOT be stranded as the limp mode was removed

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast