Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a late addition but my Vovlo dealer said that 2001 and up XC's have an electronic part in the all wheel drive that doesn't necessitate the constant monitoring of tread depth to avoid the VC angle gear problems. Is that true? If so, I'd look at spending a little more $$ to by a newer XC. In the long run it might mean less $$$ in repairs.
    Greybeard
    2000 V70 XC-SE
    2002 Camaro Z28
    2001 Harley Electraglide Classic
    2009 Dodge Ram 1500

"The ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."

Quote Originally Posted by Greybeard View Post
    This is a late addition but my Vovlo dealer said that 2001 and up XC's have an electronic part in the all wheel drive that doesn't necessitate the constant monitoring of tread depth to avoid the VC angle gear problems. Is that true? If so, I'd look at spending a little more $$ to by a newer XC. In the long run it might mean less $$$ in repairs.
    MY01 still has the crappy ETM and the VC
    MY02 gets the good ETM but still the VC
    MY03 has the same good ETM but gets a 2.5 turbo and the Haldex AWD.
    01 XC70, Mistral Green, 85,000kms

Default New ETM recall

I have just posted a news release describing a new ETM recall for the infamous '99-02 Volvos. This recall was apparently mandated by the NHTSA.
    Anyone owning one of these cars should review the news release and then contact Volvo to get the defect repaired.

It has been years since Volvo learned of the defect. Volvo elected not to fix the defect. Then, public pressure forced them to modify their position slightly by extending the warranty. Now, it looks like NHTSA has mandated Volvo to change the software.

I am skeptical that just a software change will correct the defect. We shall see.

Edmonds17

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12