Default 60K Service = $775??

Taking our 2002 V70XC in for service next week.

It's time for the relatively major 60K service. This hurts!

Tire rotation and Balance
    Oil Change
    Brake Adjust
    Brake fluid flush
    Safety inspection
    Battery service
    Diagnostic code check and clear
    Transmission Fluid change
    Cabin Air Filter
    Engine Air Filter
    Spark Plugs

$775!

Ouch.

Default Tranny fluid change is nearly $300 of that

Volvo charges I think nearly $20/quart of tranny fluid and you need like 10+ quarts of it. The equivalent Mobil 3309 ATF is like $60+ for a case of 12 shipped to your door.

If you can DIY or find someone handy to do it for you following gibbon's method posted on this site, you can save yourself $200+.
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

Default Thanks

Interesting that when my tranny was acting up at about 45K miles, the tranny flush under warranty and a ECU reflash made a world of difference.

Given how finnicky the tranny seems to be, I've got no problem paying up.

But $775 was indeed a shocker!

Quote Originally Posted by Gundo View Post
    Taking our 2002 V70XC in for service next week.

It's time for the relatively major 60K service. This hurts!

Tire rotation and Balance
    Oil Change
    Brake Adjust
    Brake fluid flush
    Safety inspection
    Battery service
    Diagnostic code check and clear
    Transmission Fluid change
    Cabin Air Filter
    Engine Air Filter
    Spark Plugs

$775!

Ouch.

I am facing the same prospect of 60K service, but I am going to be damned to pay $775 for a bloody inspection. I spread my pain: I tell them what to do. I will have tyres rotated, oil changed, and bevel gear oil changed. The rest of it, I can do on my own. $775 is a rip off in my estimation.

Ta-ta, j.
    Second gen., Nautical Blue XC70Volvo: "Anything else just isn't up to it" and Wife's Volvo S70: "In manual Transmission She Trusts"

J, If you can do the rest, you can easily do the oil change and the bevel gear change. I would go to a tire chain and get lifetime balancing that you pay for only once, and then let them do the rotations and rebalancing every 5k for free. At least around Boston, the dealer oil change runs around $150, and bevel gear will be another $100, tire balancing probably $50 (every time). The bevel gear change is written up on Matthew's Volvo Site, I believe, and is easily done with a suction pump or oil vacuum can (about $40 at any West Marine or other marine store, as an example). You just open the fill cap and remove through that instead of creating a permanent drain point as some have done. I have heard some dealers change the bevel gear by drilling and tapping a new drain hole, for which you pay something pretty significant, so be sure of the costs they will charge you before hand.
    Mike
    ----------------
    '09 XC70 T6
    '07 XC70
    '98 V70M
    '98 S70 T5M
    '95 855T
    '84 MB 380SL

Quote Originally Posted by mbsl98 View Post
    J, If you can do the rest, you can easily do the oil change and the bevel gear change. I would go to a tire chain and get lifetime balancing that you pay for only once, and then let them do the rotations and rebalancing every 5k for free. At least around Boston, the dealer oil change runs around $150, and bevel gear will be another $100, tire balancing probably $50 (every time). The bevel gear change is written up on Matthew's Volvo Site, I believe, and is easily done with a suction pump or oil vacuum can (about $40 at any West Marine or other marine store, as an example). You just open the fill cap and remove through that instead of creating a permanent drain point as some have done. I have heard some dealers change the bevel gear by drilling and tapping a new drain hole, for which you pay something pretty significant, so be sure of the costs they will charge you before hand.
    Thanks for your suggestions. There are two reasons why I prefer to have my dealer change my engine and bevel gear oil: 1) They charge me only $60 for changing synthetic oil, which in my estimation is worth the money, especially that I don't have the tool for unscrewing the oil filter and 2) I am affraid of messing with the bevel gear because if I screw up something, then this is quite an expensive repair to deal with. Call me chicken, but since I have never changed bevel gear oil, I will leave it to professionals. I will follow your excellent advice in regard to wheel balancing.

Thanks again.
    Ta-ta, j.
    Second gen., Nautical Blue XC70Volvo: "Anything else just isn't up to it" and Wife's Volvo S70: "In manual Transmission She Trusts"

Unhappy Well, just got my bill. $1505.88

Pretty expensive for a 60K service (at 74k miles) if you ask me!

Sounds like the dealer goes over the car with a fine tooth comb and they found several things.

Tie Rod end replacement (which necessitated a 4 wheel alignment)
    Drive shaft seal replacement
    Upper Motor Mount replacement

All this, and the generously gave me a 10% discount on the total and fixed the broken rear booster seat handle for free.

Hopefully this preventative maintenance gets us to 150k miles