Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Here are a couple pictures of my application. I did not permanently mount the end of the wiring harness...instead I wedged it securely between the hitch and the bumper cover on the left side of the receiver.

Apparently my link to pictures did not work so I have attached them below.

Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

As an alternative to the Hidden Hitch, several members including Saabstory, have installed Drawtite hitches. You can view text and photos of Saabstory's completed install in the link below.

http://volvoxc.com/resources/how-to/hitch-install.php

Quote Originally Posted by wagonguy View Post
    I just recently joined this forum after purchasing an '02 Cross Country wagon.

I read all the posts I could find regarding installing trailer hitches and weighed the benefits of a factory vs an aftermarket hitch. I tend to be a do-it-yourselfer, but was a little intimidated about the effort involved installing a factory hitch. Consequently, I ordered a "Hidden Hitch" from hitchmart.com for $154 delivered and am extremely happy with it. It has a round tube and really hugs the chassis for a factory, professional look . The installation was real easy taking less than an hour with basic tools. I had several 2" receivers from previous vehicles, but this hitch came with a 1-1/4" drawbar, pin, clip and receiver cover . I then ordered a factory wiring harness (p/n 8698079) from autowebaccessories.com for $74.47 plus shipping, which plugged right into the pigtail in the car by the spare tire. The total cost was less than $240 and I am extremely pleased.

Thanks to all who have contributed previously regarding this topic. It was those posts that helped me solve my trailer hitch dilemna.

I have also purchased p/n 8698079. My 2003 has the electrical pigtail in the trunk area. It plugs in fine, but I can't get the lights to work. I just get a solid tail light reading. I read osmewhere that the Volvo needs to flash a setting on the car so it is recognized? Has anyone else had this problem?

Any input would be great.

Thanks.

No, my 2004 (and others, so I've heard) needed no such flash or VADIS download to work.

Cool Tow Hitch Harness

2 weeks ago, after my '02 V70 was totaled while parked in Boston, I purchased a 2004 XC with a Draw Tite hitch- no wiring.

I only tow a lawn trailer 4 times a year.

I want to purchase the OEM harness ( p/n 8698079) but not install it perminantly. Hope to attach it to the connector near the spare tire and run it outside closing the rear hatch over it when I need it.

Does anyone use the harness that way? Is there enough rubber gasketing around the rear hatch to not crush the harness wires? I checked last night using an orange extention cord (3 wire round) and I coud see some deformation in the orange jacket. The OEM harness looks to have some area with flat cables that might work.

THANKS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12