Thread: Need opinion

Default Need opinion

Hello all,

I have to move some junk from a grassy hill. Two trips to the landfill if I use my '01 XC. The ground is dry but mushy with mole tunnels. I wonder if I should use the XC or rent a 4X4 pickup? The hill is pretty steep but not impossible. Maybe a 20%+ grade.

What do you think?

the XC might be able to go up.... just drive up fast
    [2002 V70 XC] Venetian Red Metallic/Blk Leather*33k+ miles
    -Hands-Free Phone Set, all packages except Nav.
    Turbocharger replaced April/2005 under warranty.

[1991 245] Metallic Blue/Blue Leather*175k+ miles my daily beater.
    [1994 854 GLT] *141K+ miles

Member of Volvo High Mileage Club and the miles keeps ROLLING!!

Canada: Calgary Alberta - Panorama Mountain BC - Pender Island BC

I'd go with the XC. We've never have had a problem when we go up a mossy-covered drive to our country place.

John
    '04 XC70 Canadian Premium and Sport packages, Black (425,000 kms)
    '06 XC70 Ocean Race Model, IPD to 240 hp, 18" rims, Deep Blue
    Other rigs: '06 Toyota Avalon, '15 Jeep Grand Cherokee, '23 BMW330e (Plug-In-Hybrid)

Loaded with weight, will help. Have a good friend with a winch at hand just in case

Yeah well the wife just shot down my idea. Her car, my mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragman View Post
    Yeah well the wife just shot down my idea. Her car, my mess.
    Take her with you she is your wife, your mess

Ta-ta, j.
    Second gen., Nautical Blue XC70Volvo: "Anything else just isn't up to it" and Wife's Volvo S70: "In manual Transmission She Trusts"

Use the car, and buy her some new shoes with the money you saved over renting the truck.

You would be surprised at the capabilities of these cars. Last summer my son was working at a bike shop and got a new $6000 bike. He was so excited to build it that he didn't notice the $500 seat and seatpost had gotten chucked back in the bike box. The box got immediately taken to the dumpster, and as luck would have it, the bi-monthly garbage truck pick up was a few minutes later.

When I found out, I called the garbage truck company who radioed the truck, which had just dumped its load at the dump. So I jumped in the XC and raced to the dump to look for the box before the tractors that stir and compact the garbage buried it. When I pulled up to the check-in station at the dump, the workers looked at me like I was crazy to want to try to drive a station wagon into the pile. But they let me, I think they were hoping to see me bury the car and have to get towed out. I pulled up next to the line of 4x4 trucks unloading, having had no problem driving throught he deep, stinky garbage.

I got out of my car, and low and behold, my brother was unloading right his truck right next to me! He just said, "stupid, what are you doing?" I never found the seat, but came away really impressed with the garbage manuevering capabilities of the car.
    '04 XC70, Ice White, Taupe. Original owner (196K miles as of may21). 6 wheel bearings, broken ignition switch, broken turbo downtube flange, failed throttle body, many warped rotors, and a myriad of weird crap. Still my favorite car ever.