Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default my friend bought a Subaru

he sent me these links to bust on me. what do you think?. spare the attacks on me please...I am an xc70 owner & in this case the messenger

http://www.subaru.pl/mmedia/volvo.qt
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7dVFY5CxT0

Test drove an outback the same day as I bought the XC. The build quality wan't even close. I am an Audi quattro guy, mainly. My first quattro was an '84 4000 in '85. I once had to push a Subaru 4wd through a snow bank that he tried to follow mw through.

Never have been that impressed with them. The turbo boxer does make for a nice swap inot a Vanagon, though

Your friend must be the one who buys the stuff off infomercials. You know the ones that make their product look like the best thing since sliced bread.

The first video has been on here before, do a search

The second one is definitely a sales video made by Subaru. The tests were set up so their cars would look the best. The part I like the best is how much faster the XC90 goes into those curves then the Tribeca.

I am not saying that the Volvo XC70 is the end all to all all wheel drive wagons. But it's no slouch either. Tell your friend to find an independant test of the cars.
    Last edited by hewinutah; 10-02-2006 at 04:28 PM.
    06 XC70 Silver / Graphite
    04 XC70 Dark Blue / Graphite

What is it that they say about English and French? "The French think that they are the best whereas English know that they are the best." Don't worry about your friend. Let him think that his Subaru is better than Volvo while you know that your Volvo is better than Subru

Ta-ta, j.
    Second gen., Nautical Blue XC70Volvo: "Anything else just isn't up to it" and Wife's Volvo S70: "In manual Transmission She Trusts"

There's really no "right" vehicle, it a personal choice like your taste in clothes or music. We drove the Outback XT and Legacy GT before we bought our XC70 and V50. They are fine cars, I'd be very happy if someone gave me one, and if I couldn't afford the Volvos they would probably be my next choice. The XC70 seemed a little bigger, the interior was a bit more refined, and the ride was better for a family car. Our V50 is a lot like the Legacy GT in size but again the interior was nicer, I thought the V50 looked better, it gets better mileage in the real world, and it came with a free trip to Sweden .

The Subarus may not last longer but will probably visit the shop a couple fewer times and cost less to service from cradle to grave. OTOH, some people worship their "high maintenance" spouse/significant other, so like I said it's a matter of choice.
    '05 XC70 Most of the good stuff, no DSTC
    '06 V50 T5 AWD 6sp OSD 6/06, DSTC

Check out my signature. We have an XC and two Subarus. My wife and I interchangeabley drive the 04 XC and the 05 Legacy every day. We both agree: the XC is simply a nicer car. It should be for the extra it costs, but then again, people who try compare them are silly.

If you ever wonder about quality or design, pop off their door panels. The difference is quite shocking.
    '04 XC70, Ice White, Taupe. Original owner (196K miles as of may21). 6 wheel bearings, broken ignition switch, broken turbo downtube flange, failed throttle body, many warped rotors, and a myriad of weird crap. Still my favorite car ever.

Default here we go

A long story

I bought my first Volvo in 1998, it was a 1987 240DL wagon in a junkyard for $300.00 US. It had an M47 ( I think that is it) manual 5 speed transmission. Not a 4 speed with electronic overdrive a true 5 speed. I believe it had 129,00 miles on it at the time and it ”needs a clutch” or so it said on the windshield. I got the key and after a jump start it fired right up. They weren’t kidding when the said it needed a clutch the thing wouldn’t move. My Friend and I towed it to my house and I rolled up my sleeves, at this point it was just a “fun” challenge I mean what the heck $300 bucks? I bought a clutch, scrubbed the engine with a toothbrush (it was an oily mess). Replaced the front cam seal (the cause of the oily mess) while I had it apart I did the timing belt and water pump reassembled it. Lets go! Got it down the road, worked out the bugs on the steering rack because it sat so long, but what is that clunk? Back home, inspection hmmmm some rear axle bushings, found em’ bought em’ installed em’ Let’s go! Boy these Volvo’s are strange but at least you can fix em’ yourself. Loads of relative room and it isn’t a big old American Chevy Estate Classic with wood grained shelf paper peeling off the sides ( I can’t stand that) 2 years on the exhaust rusted out. I can’t complain. Oh it needs brake pads and rotors too no big deal and very easy to replace. Back in 1986 my Chevy brakes were never that easy to replace! This car rocks! Routine maintenance and I can go anywhere. From Allentown PA to downtown Boston on a single tank of gas (it was really low when I got there) 5 years after the clutch job the bottom was rusted out of my 17 year old car it I sadly had to let it go, I sold it to a junkyard for $400.00. he wanted the transmission. The car NEVER left me down! 219,000 miles at the end.

Before I sold my wagon a guy I work with asks me if I wanna buy his neighbors Volvo. A 1986 740 turbo. I went to look at it, it too was an oily mess. This one cost a little more to fix. I replaced the turbo, harmonic balancer, and the computer had some problem I can’t remember but my friend had a spare laying around and a bunch of other stuff and off I went. Man! did that thing ever get up and go! You could spin the tires from a stand still. It had the typical piston slap. The transmission clunked and about a year later it wouldn’t stay running. And it became a real pain in the *ss. Electrical problems everywhere.

I have been on the brickboard, Swedish brick & swedespeed through the years and the web groups have been a great help in diagnosing and repairing the cars. So now I have the Volvo bug and I really can’t figure out why? I start looking for another car…I like the cross country. I find volvoxc.com I read, and read, and read some more (I love the site by the way). I see that the 2001 v70xc has some issues, but all cars have them. And I also take into account the fact that most people don’t join web groups to brag how great their cars are. I find one I like and with the help of volvoxc.com I know exactly what to look for and I really knew the car before I bought it. It is kind of like DejaVu when I get in it. It acted like and drove like the average of all opinions and stories posted here. Very strange and eerie feeling I might add.
    So the car is certified and I buy it. 39,000 miles on it. The “newest” car I have ever owned. August 2004 let the Journey begin. I don’t drive very far every day but I am noticing the transmission shifts oddly just like everyone here says hmmm I’m not sure I dig this. I would scan the documents but there is a lot of info on them that doesn’t need to bee seen so I just tell ya’.

9-27-04 41,922 miles customer requests a check for trans shunt. Tech finds & performs new download software upgrade 30677036 – upgrade T $ no charge, warranty

Customer states car pulls to right. Check & advise (no advice) tech balances and rotate tires (car still pulled to the right) $ 49.95

12-17-04 45,000 miles
    Customer states sunroof skips gears and does not close properly. Tech finds sunroof motor code. Signal too high. Will order and replace motor. $ no charge warranty.

Customer states car still pulls to right. Check & advise (no advice) but tech balances and rotate tires (car still pulled to the right) $ 49.95

Customer states transmission slips. Trans clunks when starting out from stop. Check and advise. Tech checks to verify concern. Fluid very dark (but didn’t have any advice) no codes in TCM. Tech downloads software for neutral control. Tech finds upper motor mount torn (I showed them this one) which may contribute to clunking noise. Tech replaces upper motor mount. Tech performs software download 30646691 – Nuetral - C $ no charge warranty.

Customer states suspension clunks over bumps at slow speeds. Check and advise. Tech finds right front sway bar end link is worn and has excessive play. Tech repairs right front sway bar link $ no charge warranty ( but this is why it pulled to the right I learned all of these suggestions here on Volvoxc.com)

Customer states car hesitates at continuous highway speeds feels like letting up on accelerator. Check and advise. Tech finds no codes stored. Tech downloads ECM software upgrade 30677023 upgrade – E (I think this worked) $ no charge warranty.

Tech find fluid leak traces to power steering reservoir. Tech replaces reservoir and 2 hose clamps. $ no charge warranty. ( that was strange )

1-4-05 45,882 miles
    Customer states sunroof does not close properly. Tech finds faulty module in new motor. Replaces module. Sunroof now closes properly $ no charge warranty.

8-15-05 52,740 miles
    Customer requests perform recall # 141 coolant fan replaced $no charge warranty

In the meantime my cruise control performs erratically. And my keyless entry performs erratically.

And last but not least. Transmission goes bad on way home from work thankfully 1 mile from home and I literally coasted downhill into my driveway! Now that was lucky.

9-4-05 66,397 miles
    Customer states transmission failed. Volvo pays for flatbed to dealer ( This is a different dealer I wasn’t very happy with the former place.) Volvo verifies transmission failure. Dealer orders remanufactured transmission from Volvo. Dealer replaced my transmission & performs all upgrade etc. 2 full weeks $ no charge warranty. (thank goodness)

Customer states cruise control not working. Tech finds faulty siren code 0004, 0003,0005 Stored which interferes with cruise control & keyless entry. Replace siren assembly $ 152.47

Tech finds right side lower motor mount broken. Customer advises repair $ 91.22 part labor $ 127.96 total $219.18

Customer requests ETM recall, Tech downloads software ETM/ECM upgrade - P
    $41.38 had to inquire as to why I am paying for recall. Tech could not find code upgrade optional.

WHEW was a pain this car is, take notice I said THIS CAR NOT ALL XC70’S

The car is under certified warranty until June 2007, I called the dealer and asked them to find a certified 05’ XC70 to trade this one in on and we are in the works. I’m going to give VOLVO 1 more shot which I hope is not a stupid move. Most would never look back. Wish me luck.
    As for the Subaru thing. My friend is not an idiot. He has much automobile experience especially with BMW. I almost had him convinced to by an XC70 an I told him all of my strife. But the transmission failure did him in. Almost me too. Besides he didn’t want to spend $40,000 + When he sent me the videos he was as skeptical of their nature as all of us. As for the “build quality” comparison the XC70 BETTER be built better than the Subaru for nearly double the price. I looked at a lot of other vehicles but I really like the XC70 (maybe I am stupid) so I am going to try 1 more. I could go on but haven’t I said too much already….

Oh and I did know the one video was on here but that was a while ago and new readers wouldn't know about it so....my apologies to the diehards.

the youtube video was worthless. The cars was in different engines, size, etc.
    [2002 V70 XC] Venetian Red Metallic/Blk Leather*33k+ miles
    -Hands-Free Phone Set, all packages except Nav.
    Turbocharger replaced April/2005 under warranty.

[1991 245] Metallic Blue/Blue Leather*175k+ miles my daily beater.
    [1994 854 GLT] *141K+ miles

Member of Volvo High Mileage Club and the miles keeps ROLLING!!

Wow! You must really like Volvos or be a masochist. I can appreciate this because I am the same way. Before I had my first XC I owned a 1984 245 and a 1987 745 which were only moderately annoying (minor failures/repairs)

My first XC, a 1999 was the worst POS I have ever owned. I won't list everything, but it was in the shop more than it was out. After three years, I gave up. Bought a 2002XC (new) and had just a few problems. Transmission software upgrades, upper motor mount. Loved the car. Now I have a 2005XC with 19K miles. This car has had NO problems.

Best of luck.

Steve
    2005 XC 42,500 miles .....and gone
    Barents Blue with Taupe
    Premium
    Convenience
    Climate (no IAQS, damn....damn)

Missing (but not as much as before) the 2002 XC 42K
    Platinum Green with Taupe
    Premium
    Convenience
    Climate