Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Nokian Tires what size?

I'm going to buy a set on Nokian WR tires but I'm really on the fence on which size to get. The 215/65R/16 or the 235/60R/16. The dealer is saying to go with the 215's but I remember the postings Gibbons did and he prefers the 235's

What tire size do you use if you are running the Nokian WR Tires and are you happy with them?

Thanks
    Morrie

I am not guessing 235/60's work better, I know they do from back-to-back experience with both sizes. The 215/65's are the SUV designation and ride really rough. They are terrible on expansion joint thumps. They are so skinny (even though they are called 215/65) that the lip of the wheel extends past the tire side wall. You will for sure curb your wheels.

I remember when I bought the 215's I had real buyer's remorse because I thought the Scorpions were better. The 235's are superior. There is no disadvantage.

That's how I see it.
    '04 XC70, Ice White, Taupe. Original owner (196K miles as of may21). 6 wheel bearings, broken ignition switch, broken turbo downtube flange, failed throttle body, many warped rotors, and a myriad of weird crap. Still my favorite car ever.

Gibbons

Thanks for the response you answered my question. I wil order a set of the 235's on Monday.

I notice you have a 68 Chevelle SS. COOL car. Do you take it to car shows and events?

Morrie

My mechanic says I may get faulty speedometer readings with the 235/60's.

Quote Originally Posted by Matyas View Post
    "Faulty" is not a good description. The difference in diameter between a 215/65-16 and a 235/60-16 is about 0.4%. In other words, if your speedometer with the old tires read 60 mph, with the new tires it would read 60.2 mph.

Quote Originally Posted by dlr97 View Post
    "Faulty" is not a good description. The difference in diameter between a 215/65-16 and a 235/60-16 is about 0.4%. In other words, if your speedometer with the old tires read 60 mph, with the new tires it would read 60.2 mph.
    That's of course assuming your tire has 100% of it's thread. As they wear down, it decreases accuracy. As long as you remain within 5%, there is no real concern, but under 2% is ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by Matyas View Post

I agree with whats already been written here, but to put it into perspective... Yes, some different tire size changes will adversely affect the speedo. That is not the case here. According to the Nokian website, the diameter of the 215 is 686mm while the 235 is 688mm. The radius of the tire is what is important for the speedo calc, so the 235, when brand new, causes the car to sit 1mm higher.

Consider that each tire has 10mm of tread and a 235 with half its tread gone is smaller than the 215 by 4 mm. The point here is that these tires are essentially the same diameter and any difference is well within the inherent error of the speedometer. 235’s work fine. I have them, and I like them.

I've less than 25000 on the stock Scorpion STR but they are about used up and it's time for some new tires. The Nokians seem to fit the bill.

T443458 appears to be the model number for the Nokians. See http://www.v70xc.com/forums/showthre...?t=4651&page=2

I found some on www.tiresbyweb.com at $155 which seems reasonable. Anyone find these locally near San Jose, CA?
    2004 XC70 - Metallic Crystal Green/Touring/Versatility/Nav

Anybody?
    2004 XC70 - Metallic Crystal Green/Touring/Versatility/Nav

We've had the 235's for a year and like them a lot. They were great in the winter and running fine in the summer heat. Much better than the OEM

Bouvier

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast