Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Urgent...Need to Know ASAP

Ok, I was checking my oil level with the dipstick, and the orange part broke right below the gasket. This means that I cannot put the top back in or else I will lose the gasket down in the tube. So...I need to know if the car is drivable...meaning, for a day, without the dipstick in place, or should I wait till I get ahold of a new dipstick without driving it? Will my OBD go crazy because of the missing seal?

Please reply as soon as you can with some definite knowledge.

Why not just cover the opening with some duct tape until you get the replacement?

Bill
    Bill
    63 PV544 (attempted restoration)
    83 245 DL OSD (transferred to son)
    85 240 GL OSD (transferred to son)
    03 XC70 OSD (traded-in 4/12)
    05 AWD S80 OSD (transferred to son)
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

Lightbulb No dip stick

coolwhipdefuser,

I have to agree with BillAileo. Our engines don't have a pressurized oil system. Remove anything that could fall into the oil sump, cover the tube with duct tape and go order a new one.

coolwhipdefuser, how did you make out with your broken dip stick?

Ok, well, it turns out that the dipstick just simply broke, and since you told me that we had unpressurized oil systems, I thought it would be fine to drive it over to the dealer to get a new Volvo dipstick. I bought a new one and went to put it in and the upper part (orange/red part) would not even go into the dipstick tube at all. So I went back in and spoke to the guy, and he said that I must have an early production year model (early '98) which has a different dipstick tube from the rest of this generation of XC. Which means I ended up getting a new dipstick tube and got it installed at the dealership. I got it installed there because my dad said he'd pay for the installation since he doesn't like me tinkering with my car, and we were going on a long trip that day. So, in all, it set my dad back about $110 for the whole deal, parts and labor included.

I'm just glad that I didn't have to pay for it. All of the essential service issues are paid for by my dad, since he gave me the car and he still pays for the insurance and all that. I just have a nice dad I've found out. Its nice to be a college student and not worry about having to pay for your car or insurance.

Thumbs up

Good for you. Glade it all worked out for you.

Did they replace the dipstick tube o-ring that is located between the tube and oil pan?
    [2002 V70 XC] Venetian Red Metallic/Blk Leather*33k+ miles
    -Hands-Free Phone Set, all packages except Nav.
    Turbocharger replaced April/2005 under warranty.

[1991 245] Metallic Blue/Blue Leather*175k+ miles my daily beater.
    [1994 854 GLT] *141K+ miles

Member of Volvo High Mileage Club and the miles keeps ROLLING!!

Queens, New York City, United States Of America

WOW your dad pays the insurance and for repairs, I'd like to have a dad like yours lol
    TyranT
    2007 Nissan Altima 2.5S CVT
    HID 6000k,LED'S 20% tint
    2000 Volvo V70XC AWD (SOLD)
    HID Lows/Fogs 6000k, 50%/35% tint, Dual Exhaust, Speedtuning ECU upgrade
    1997 Volvo 965 - 50%/35% tint
    1997 Nissan Altima HID 6000k/ Intake

Quote Originally Posted by RedXC View Post
    Did they replace the dipstick tube o-ring that is located between the tube and oil pan?
    Yeah, they replaced that too. The parts manager (guy who helped us out) definitly made sure we would be charged as much money as possible.

I replaced mine this weekend. I didn't use a new seal but my old one was still pliable so I felt ok about re-using it. I'm out $42 for the parts. All it took was a 12mm wrench and a twist and pull to get the tube out. This one oughts stay together for another 8 years .
    98 XC70 150k : 2006 XC90 (In the family)
    83 245DL 172k : 2006 S60 (also not mine)
    95 855 GLT 138k

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast