Default New Member & Used XC70

Hi All;

I'm a new member here. My wife and I are thinking of buying a used XC70. Justing looking for some guidance / opinions from all you experts. Probably looking at MY2004-2007. Any particular years that are better than others? Problem areas? Reliability issues? What kind of highway mileage can we realistically expect? Any other thoughts appreciated. It's been many years since I last owned a Volvo (1978 242GT). Thanks in advance.

Hi Climbgdh - thanks for posting! Answers to your questions:

1. Any particular years that are better than others?
    The newer the Volvo XC, the better of course. Any model from 2003+ is good - though the verdict is out on the new model introduced in 2008.

1. Problem areas? Reliability issues?
    There are no major problem areas or reliabiltiy issues. We do have a few members with coil spring problems breaking - but that is for those who live in areas of high salt (knocking on wood). It seems an issue with all European made/designed cars, including VW, Audi, BMW, and Volvo that the springs don't like salt - what car does?

As long as you regularly flush the transmission, change ALL your fluids at recommended intervals and recommended maintenance of plugs,filters, and belts, the car should last a long time.

The rubber in most of the mounts and connectors (mostly the upper engine and lower transmission) will need to be replaced after 4-6 years. As well, the sway-bar end links will wear out after some time as they do in most vehicles. Other areas - the power steering clamp may need to be checked for tightening.

But really, it's very intermittent issues we see here on the forums. They're not as reliable as Toyota - but then again, sometimes that's not a bad thing.

3. What kind of highway mileage can we realistically expect? Most experience 10L/100km city, and anywhere from 7-8L/100km highway (20/30mpg). Wintertime - expect more fuel consumption, especially in heavy snows.

IMHO - having owned a Toyota (1), Honda (1), Suzuki (1), Mazda (2), Nissan (2), Volkswagen (1), and Chrysler (1) - in decreasing order of reliability experience - I have enjoyed owning my Volvo the most.

My 01XC has 96K miles, hope it lasts to 150K.

Volvo engine will last forever, everything else will eventually fail and require obscenely expensive repairs unless you are a highly qualified well equipped DIYer.

IMHO: new Volvos are great if you lease or trade in before 60K miles, used are a total crapshoot and you can expect to invest avg. $150-$300 per month [$1800-$3600/yr] on repairs and maintenance between 75K-150K miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Forkster View Post
    3. What kind of highway mileage can we realistically expect? Most experience 10L/100km city, and anywhere from 7-8L/100km highway (20/30mpg). Wintertime - expect more fuel consumption, especially in heavy snows.
    Wow! I experience about 10L/100km highway...and around the city is around 12L/100km. Do I have a problem somewhere? Or maybe it's the Malaysian weather that causes the air conditioning to work overtime? The AWD system has been disengaged by removing the connecting shaft to the rear diff...so I'd think I should be getting lower consumption?