Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Power Window Switch Inoperable

I've had this problem for a while, but one day it completely stopped working. From the driver's seat, all of the window control switches work for going down and up, except for the rear passenger window, which only goes down. All of the individual window switches work including the one on the rear passenger window, which is how I put the window up when I use it. I was wondering if its an expensive process to fix, as in replacing the whole cluster, or if I can merely replace that particular switch.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Try eeuroparts.com for the drivers master switch. It is around $130.00 or so. The old switch should simply pop out to reveal the connector.

I just had mine replaced 2 weeks ago on the 2000 V70 XC cause the drivers window switch failed. Window went down but not up. Had to pull door apart to get switch out and found that the plastic inside of switch was just flat worn out. Looked like metal contacts got stuck and shorted. Was able to make enough contact to get back up, but contacts for another window looked pretty bad too.

I was told by a Volvo dealer and IPDUSA that the switch has to be programed to work with the car. So it was cheaper to buy from Volvo and have them program rather than buy cheaper and then have them program it. I pulled the unit and had it out so I did not have to pay labor to actually pull the door panel apart and install the switch.
    2000 V70 XC SE Red - Wifes
    +----------------------------------+
    1996 850R Black - Mine Now

Quote Originally Posted by coolwhipdefuser View Post
    I've had this problem for a while, but one day it completely stopped working. From the driver's seat, all of the window control switches work for going down and up, except for the rear passenger window, which only goes down. All of the individual window switches work including the one on the rear passenger window, which is how I put the window up when I use it. I was wondering if its an expensive process to fix, as in replacing the whole cluster, or if I can merely replace that particular switch.

Do a search on the forum for "master door switch" or "master window switch". I had the same problem, dealer wanted $150+, I followed the instructions on how to pop it out (the whole switch), which is quite easy, actually; clean the connectors, use some canned air to clear out the dust, and it works like a charm again!
    Sam
    98' V70 XC Black

Quote Originally Posted by coolwhipdefuser View Post

I have this exact same problem on my '98 XC. In fact, I've had it since I bought the car (didn't check it before I bought it ). I've heard that it's a bad master switch. The swich is easy enough to pop out, I just haven't gone through the trouble of buying a new one. That window only goes down when my kids are in the car, and the switch on the door works.

Like mentioned above, it can be just some dust or oxide on the connectors that cause this issue! I saved $200 by doing it myself!
    Sam
    98' V70 XC Black

I had the same problem on my 1998 which was caused by a small piece of debris (seed). It fried the circuit board so I had to replace the entire switch assembly. Had I disassembled it quicker and cleaned it, I may not have had to replace it. My cost from an Ohio dealership (Beechmont Motors) was $123.90 and they do not charge shipping. You might have to join VCOA for the discount but I am not sure.
    Steven
    2007 XC90 V8
    1998 V70XC
    1992 245

These switches fail regularly
    Try www.erievovo.com for a used switch, about $75.
    They R&R in about 2 minutes

Alrighty, I'll take those into consideration.

Hey coolwhip. I have a 1999 XC. I have the same problem as you, except I can put the window up and down at the drivers seat. But the rear passenger can only put it down, they can't put it up.

I think I'll change the switch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast