Default Keep the 98 XC or walk away?

As I said earlier - my daughter has freaked with the car and has put it up for sale. She went and got a Ford diesel 4x4 (she wanted something safe that could run on biodiesel)

Ok that taken care of. Should I take her car? She owes 9k on the note. I dont think the car is even worth that. BUT, If I replace the viscous coupling and the assorted front end stuff and change all the juices PLUS new tires.... will I get a ride that will last a while (10 years) without screwing up. Will the ac evaporator last that long?

Shoud I walk? Car is a 10 on the inside and outside.

Default Sounds like a lot to put into a 98

9k plus all those repairs for a car that has a spotty record? - Ouch (Although given it doesn't have the ETM issue not as spotty as the 99-01s.). It's 9 model years old. Replacing the VC has got to cost a lot ($1,000 plus and probably closer to 2000.) Not sure what front end stuff is needed but all that sound like big, big money unless you're a great DIYS mechanic and can get the parts and handle on your own. If so maybe it's worth a chance...if you're someone who only has the dealer to "deal" with I'd cut my losses now and move on. Good luck and let us know what you do.

PS you didn't indicate milage but given age I'd say your right...even in good shape it's not worth 9,000 especially if over 100k miles.
    1999 V70 XC Dark Blue/Taupe - Gas/Auto Trans. with Nokian WRG2s 205/65/15
    2002 Acura TL White/Tan

Ford? Safe? Your kidding.

I would keep the XC, those cars are great to ride in. Just keep up with the intervals, and take good care of it.
    [2002 V70 XC] Venetian Red Metallic/Blk Leather*33k+ miles
    -Hands-Free Phone Set, all packages except Nav.
    Turbocharger replaced April/2005 under warranty.

[1991 245] Metallic Blue/Blue Leather*175k+ miles my daily beater.
    [1994 854 GLT] *141K+ miles

Member of Volvo High Mileage Club and the miles keeps ROLLING!!

Queens, New York City, United States Of America

Get rid off it, thats too much money to invest into that car
    TyranT
    2007 Nissan Altima 2.5S CVT
    HID 6000k,LED'S 20% tint
    2000 Volvo V70XC AWD (SOLD)
    HID Lows/Fogs 6000k, 50%/35% tint, Dual Exhaust, Speedtuning ECU upgrade
    1997 Volvo 965 - 50%/35% tint
    1997 Nissan Altima HID 6000k/ Intake

I agree with both RedXC and Tyrant11429, the car is a great ride, but it also is a lot of money to invest in a car all at once. Its really up to you on whether or not you want to spend the money to finish paying off the car and replace the VC.

I would say walk. You got 9k tied up in the car already. (I hope it has low miles) Your looking at $2-5000 (worst case with everything) to add to it. that's 11-14k, it's not a house, you normally can't recoup that if you try to sell it later. If it's a 10 inside and out it should be a good pick for a dealer, it's cheaper for them to mechanically fix it than do body work.
    Volvodad3

2001 V70 XC (my daily)
    117k and counting!
    Ash Gold/Sand
    Loaded! minus Nav, 3rd seat and Premium stereo.
    Scorpion's
    Cross Bars
    Tint (not an official 'mod')

99.5 VW Jetta TDi (Hers)
    2002 GMC Savanna 3500 (Work)
    93 Cadillac Eldorado (gone, but still in the family)

Default Update on this insanity...

Ok, my daughters 1999XC sorry if I said its a 98 - She took back the 2006 Ford 250 4x4 and got a 2000 250 4x4 7.0 diesel instead, bought it on ebay for 20 grand - 35k miles, bench seats and manual windows!!! Great ride. Anyway Here is what I had to do.

replace VC and shaft
    replace EVAC
    replace radiator
    replace oil dip tube and o-ring
    replace 2 ball joints
    replace 2 sway links
    replace right front motor mounts (others done last year)
    alignment
    4 new Mich Pilots

everything else has been done to service reqs.

Do not give me ___ about how much money and stupid I am to spend on this car.

Dealer would only offer me 4k for the car - now that its fixed - Im open to offers. I know I am losing money bt I feel better about selling the car to someone that can actually feel that it may be reliable for awhile.

thanks