Default My Solo Tofino Trip: August 27-30, 2006

Just got back from a solo surf trip up to the Tofino/Ucluelet on Vancouver Island and wow, what a trip!

The original plan was to go with a buddy but an emergency to attend to and had to back out. I'd already set the time aside so decided what the hey, might as well just got it alone!

On Sunday afternoon, I caught the ferry over to Vancouver Island and stayed with some friends in Qualicum Beach which is on the East side of the Island.

The next morning, I was off to Tofino... Here's a rest stop, nothing too interesting:

After a short 2 hour drive, I arrived at Florencia Bay which had nice waves but too small

Walk back to the car from Florencia

Surfed the morning and afternoon at Long Beach so didn't have time to take photos. After dinner drove up to South Chesterman Beach to see about one final session. Decided I was too tired and just observed...

Some surf action from South Chesterman, small but clean

A look towards Rosie Bay, end of South Chesterman

A look towards Frank Island and the lighthouse from South Chesterman

I ended up spending the night in a Ucluelet motel as I really needed a solid sleep for the next day. Woke up to another great, but windy day. Checked out Wickanninish first, it was messy:

The trees at Wick

Ended up going to Long Beach, surfed for a couple hours until the wind came up. I then went back to Florencia Bay, which is nice a protected from wind. Surfed the whole afternoon with a small swell but they were perfect shape and glassy conditions...

After I was done with surfing, I went back to Long Beach to have dinner and relax.

I spent the rest of the evening hanging out at Long Beach, taking pics and not much else, it was great!

I stayed at Long Beach until the Park Rangers closed the place at 11:00pm, then drove to Kennedy Lake where I camped in the car.

I'm 6'4" and I had no problems sleeping in the car... And with a few modifications this might even be a perfect camping car. I could have used another 2-4 inches to really stretch out the legs, but if I were to organize a little better, and maybe replace the rear folded down seats with a foam or something, I'd have more than enough room to really stretch out.

Anyways, next morning awoke to this great sunrise at Kennedy Lake

I then met up with the friends from Qualicum who came up for the day. Surfed Cox Bay for a few hours until the wind and crowds arrived, then rolled home.

Awesome trip and of course the car was perfect!
    01 V70XC/Silver/Graphite/Touring & Versatility Packs/No Mods
    Servoweb Technologies developers of web stuff...
    Paddle Surf Canada
    CanSkier.com Skier Community

Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

Knarly photos Taylor!

With commitments involving work, family and home projects, it nice to know that you can still swing out to the Island with your long board and hang out with your surfing buddies.

BTW, how’s the fresh water situation in Tofino? Heard that some of the businesses in town had to shut down due to the lack of H2O.

I only heard about the water crisis there on my last day so it didn't affect me. But wow, sure couldn't beleive they were planning on closing all non-essential businesses for this long weekend in an attempt to solve the problem.

Big props to the local business owners who took it upon themselves to find a solution!
    01 V70XC/Silver/Graphite/Touring & Versatility Packs/No Mods
    Servoweb Technologies developers of web stuff...
    Paddle Surf Canada
    CanSkier.com Skier Community

Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

This is still one of my favorite shots which you took on one of your previous trips to the area. Any recent sightings of that old paneled Woody? I could swear I saw that same wagon here on my home turf a short while ago.

Oh yea, and can’t forget the pic of this Unimog that you spotted at Cathedral Grove.