Default threatening messages

Last week appeared on the board computer the message “engine system service required” even if the car was running perfectly. the dealer checked the car with VIDA but no problem has been found, he told me that the message has probably been caused by dirty diesel whith a consequent temporary malfunction of the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation )valve. I asked how can I recognize if the cause of the message is something stupid rather than a serious problem in the engine and he answered there is no way to know it without going to an authorized dealer to get the car checked. considering that also the displayed MPG is quite far from reality I think that such an information system is absolutely useless since you can’t trust the messages coming out of it (some months ago I had “antiskid off” but even in that case no problems found). Am i the the only one getting this kind of threats?
    ciao

First of all! Was there any DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) MIL (Check Engine Light) ???

I believe EGR will create a sighly misfire.
    [2002 V70 XC] Venetian Red Metallic/Blk Leather*33k+ miles
    -Hands-Free Phone Set, all packages except Nav.
    Turbocharger replaced April/2005 under warranty.

[1991 245] Metallic Blue/Blue Leather*175k+ miles my daily beater.
    [1994 854 GLT] *141K+ miles

Member of Volvo High Mileage Club and the miles keeps ROLLING!!

no fault code has been found, and yes, the yellow light was on when the message appeared. before going to the dealer i tried with the old method (familiar to all the pc users) switching off the engine and let it cooling down but no result at all, the message was still there.
    of course while going to the dealer it disappeared..
    actually the egr setting that volvo is installing is quite tight to reduce emissions and probably it's the reason of this messages.
    anyway it's quite annoying not to know if the message is referring to a real problem rather than a temporary inefficiency.
    thank you for your reply
    ciao.

The Mil is set after one or more monitors have failed. For a number of non
    critical faults, the monitor must fail several times.
    The same is true for resetting the MIL, if the failing test succeeds several times,
    the system assumes you may have cured the condition. Example: the MIL is set
    when the leak test of the fuel system fails, which can be caused by the filler
    cap not being closed properly. This monitor runs once every time the car is
    started (and a number of conditions are met).
    If, after filling up, you were to close the filler cap as it should, the MIL will
    eventually be reset. This scenario may happen without the driver realizes what
    exactly is going on.
    I think the dealer's guess about the cause is just that, a (wild) guess.
    Although action is required whenever the MIL is set, you shouldn't feel
    threatened when it lights, it is a warning.
    If a critical condition arises, the general warning light (triangle) will light red,
    whereas the MIL (yellow) indicates problems concerning the emission sytem.
    Willy
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Willy
    The Mil is set after one or more monitors have failed. For a number of non
    critical faults, the monitor must fail several times.
    The same is true for resetting the MIL, if the failing test succeeds several times,
    the system assumes you may have cured the condition. Example: the MIL is set
    when the leak test of the fuel system fails, which can be caused by the filler
    cap not being closed properly. This monitor runs once every time the car is
    started (and a number of conditions are met).
    If, after filling up, you were to close the filler cap as it should, the MIL will
    eventually be reset. This scenario may happen without the driver realizes what
    exactly is going on.
    I think the dealer's guess about the cause is just that, a (wild) guess.
    Although action is required whenever the MIL is set, you shouldn't feel
    threatened when it lights, it is a warning.
    If a critical condition arises, the general warning light (triangle) will light red,
    whereas the MIL (yellow) indicates problems concerning the emission sytem.
    Willy
    thanks for your reply, next time the yellow light will blink (because i'm sure there will be a next time) i'll try not to be too anxious
    ciao

when you get this messages test to take of the battery power in 5 minutes
    and then try again