View Poll Results: How many times has your abs module gone bad?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Once

58 66.67%
  • Multiple times

4 4.60%
  • Never

25 28.74%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

If the module is truly bad, yep
    I would check wheel sensors first

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    If the module is truly bad, yep
    I would check wheel sensors first
    I'm getting ABS, Brake, Check Engine and Traction warning lights and my ABS is out.
    I had the dealer pull codes and he says ABS module is the problem, that it is shorting out.
    Sound like the correct diagnosis or could bad sensors cause the same symptoms?

A bad ABS module will causevall of those symptoms.

I have the syntoms with the ABS and tracking warning lights, and now lately I've gotten the "brake failure, stop immidiately" message often.

I'm worried about the "brake failure, stop immidiately" message, it's not fun when the car tells you to stop. Is it any dangerous to drive with this message? The brakes should work mechanically anyways..

I drive a v70 xc 2000

Default abs

1st one failed around 100K. Had Victor rebuild. A few years later, failed again. Bought an Ebay core unit for about $30 and soldered power connectors. Came apart easily with a 1" wood chisel carefully used to tap open the unit. Worked since then. Victor unit also has some other ungraded capacitors, resistors. Resoldered that unit. On shelf as back-up. Takes about 10minutes to swap, just because you are working a bit blind. 1st time took me an hour, even with instructions.

I think mine gone bad twice already this week.

Default Holy Good Timing Batman

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrant11429 View Post
    How many times has your abs module gone bad ?
    Mine went bad once and had it rebuilt and no problems since, notice on the 70 series these go bad in a few years it shouldn't since the abs is an important part of safety. Think ate built them like that so they knew people would come back to them.
    My ABS Module went out this week just as I got back in to my small town from a trip to the big city. Earlier in the day my dash told me my anti skid needed servicing. That disappeared and then, at the end of the day, as I drove in to town, it said "Brake Failure, Stop Safely". I pulled over, stopped easily and thought "Hm - that wasn't so bad". I got back on the quiet road I was driving and tried to stop again from 15 mph. My foot went to the floor. I pumped the brakes and stopped.

Cost for part alone I was quoted $1400. I was charged $200 by my local mechanic to find the problem at which point he said "I've done one of these before and I can get the part installed but the computer issues are awful. Took me a whole day to get that done. Take it to the dealer - I ain't touchin' this." One of the things I like about my mechanic is that he is a straight shooter. That and he has a guy in there who was a Volvo certified mechanic for the last 20 yrs until the dealership he worked at closed.

The good part (and one of the many reasons I think my car likes me) - I am 350mi under my warranty.

You NEVER,EVER buy a new one because it will also fail!
    Once repaired properly for 50-$75 it should never fail again

You also need to find a VOLVO mechanic, it sounds like yours is not one
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Quote Originally Posted by dragondiscuscoach View Post
    My ABS Module went out this week just as I got back in to my small town from a trip to the big city. Earlier in the day my dash told me my anti skid needed servicing. That disappeared and then, at the end of the day, as I drove in to town, it said "Brake Failure, Stop Safely". I pulled over, stopped easily and thought "Hm - that wasn't so bad". I got back on the quiet road I was driving and tried to stop again from 15 mph. My foot went to the floor. I pumped the brakes and stopped.

Cost for part alone I was quoted $1400. I was charged $200 by my local mechanic to find the problem at which point he said "I've done one of these before and I can get the part installed but the computer issues are awful. Took me a whole day to get that done. Take it to the dealer - I ain't touchin' this." One of the things I like about my mechanic is that he is a straight shooter. That and he has a guy in there who was a Volvo certified mechanic for the last 20 yrs until the dealership he worked at closed.

The good part (and one of the many reasons I think my car likes me) - I am 350mi under my warranty.
    FYI - You're posting in the
    forum section for '98-'00 XC's.
    You own a very different car.

+1 for having your existing module repaired.

'98 " Last of the Good Ones!" V70 R
    Upsolute ECU - E-Codes/SilverStars - ArcticGrade Oil Lines - HD SkidPlate - Spoiler - XC Grill -

That's right. "Brake failure, stop!" and "Oh no, dust in your etm!" and "Wheel sensor on left needs checking," and "Motronic connection to the Engine management system has failed," to "Yes, we detected another issue so we are going to shut down your transmission," warning light, all originate with the ABS module in my car.
    I have erased many types of codes with the OBD II reader/wiper, and these are codes that do not appear when the module is functioning well.

How many times have I repaired it? Had it opened once and soldered main pins.
    I am sure I fixed my module also recently by removing the electric connector and blowing it and connecting it again.

Good thing is we know how to fix the module circuit board pins with new solder, so that is good.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast