View Poll Results: How many times has your abs module gone bad?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Once

58 66.67%
  • Multiple times

4 4.60%
  • Never

25 28.74%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Queens, New York City, United States Of America

Default How many times has your abs module gone bad ?

How many times has your abs module gone bad ?
    Mine went bad once and had it rebuilt and no problems since, notice on the 70 series these go bad in a few years it shouldn't since the abs is an important part of safety. Think ate built them like that so they knew people would come back to them.
    TyranT
    2007 Nissan Altima 2.5S CVT
    HID 6000k,LED'S 20% tint
    2000 Volvo V70XC AWD (SOLD)
    HID Lows/Fogs 6000k, 50%/35% tint, Dual Exhaust, Speedtuning ECU upgrade
    1997 Volvo 965 - 50%/35% tint
    1997 Nissan Altima HID 6000k/ Intake

Default Not yet

Not once in the 11k of ownership. <crosses fingers>
    98 XC70 150k : 2006 XC90 (In the family)
    83 245DL 172k : 2006 S60 (also not mine)
    95 855 GLT 138k

Default Once

Once at 101,000k miles and being replaced with a rebuilt one by an indy garage tomorrow.
    Last edited by tgrumaj; 08-10-2006 at 09:21 AM.
    1999 V70 XC Dark Blue/Taupe - Gas/Auto Trans. with Nokian WRG2s 205/65/15
    2002 Acura TL White/Tan

Question I've had one

What a great post seem to remember something along these lines before but it might have just been a discussion.

For the unknown amongst you, the ABS system comprises of several components that all work (or fail) together. It is a bit light the lights on your Christmas tree, you know, one lousy bulb fails and you have to check each one to find the faulty one. From what I remember of my case there are sensors in the wheels (so that is four parts) then you have the main ABS unit in the engine compartment (that's another part) and then you have the OBC which also interacts with the system (oh that's another one, that makes uummmmm 6 parts) The ones in the wheels can be cleaned with 'air' so I was told but I have never heard of the main control unit being "rebuilt", I was sold a new one, maybe I looked gullible to the dealer that day.

Of course when I had the warranty on the main unit it was never that, that needed replacing but as soon as the warranty ran out...guess what needed replacing!!!

A costly piece of kit but luckily mine has lasted thus far.

Default ABS Story

Like everyone else I started my ABS story with the ABS & Tracs light coming on followed by "Check Engine". Went to the dealer and had the code pulled and no shock...it was the ABS module code. Dealer asked for almost $1000 to replace the module. So....went to my good old indy guy. He took off the unit and found "wetness" all around the unit. Bottom line is that there was a leak of brake fluid from the ABS controller unit (what the ABS module plugs into. It has 8 or so chorme "nipples" (my term) that plug into the holes in teh back of the ABS module. Two of them were leaking brake fluid into the ABS module thus causing the problem with the module.) If the dealer (or I) had just plugged in a new ABS unit it would have only been a matter of a short while until the brake fluid leaked back in and damaged the new module. Now I have a rebuilt ABS module and a new (but used) ABS controller unit on the car. I guess the bottom line is it aint always just the ABS module.
    I just hope I don't wind up in your "multiple times" category Tyrant!!
    Last edited by tgrumaj; 08-11-2006 at 04:40 AM.
    1999 V70 XC Dark Blue/Taupe - Gas/Auto Trans. with Nokian WRG2s 205/65/15
    2002 Acura TL White/Tan

Queens, New York City, United States Of America

I hope not too, it just seems these modules go bad within a few years, wonder how good the rebuilt ones are to the orginal ones , maybe more durable.
    TyranT
    2007 Nissan Altima 2.5S CVT
    HID 6000k,LED'S 20% tint
    2000 Volvo V70XC AWD (SOLD)
    HID Lows/Fogs 6000k, 50%/35% tint, Dual Exhaust, Speedtuning ECU upgrade
    1997 Volvo 965 - 50%/35% tint
    1997 Nissan Altima HID 6000k/ Intake

Default Once

I had the usual symptoms. I pulled the unit out and carefully cracked it open(not easy). I found numerous failed solder connections of the module connector pins where they are soldered to the pc board. I reflowed all the connector pins to the pcb and closed it back up using the pushon washers that I carefully removed during disassembly. I sealed it up with black rtv sealant. It's been working fine for a year now.

just replaced mine at 112k to the tune of $996. Thankfully, the extended warranty covered it.
    Volvo n00b in training
    Boldly going where no Volvo has gone before
    Volvo: The safest car to die in...
    About Me & My Design

Cool

Had to replace mine last summer at about 90K miles - the dealer wanted around $900-1,000. Thankfully my brother is rather handy with cars - he found some guy on e-bay (he searched for "Volvo ABS control unit" )that repairs ABS modules. Removing it from the car was a task basically because it was a little difficult to reach - but the repair cost less than $200. I'm at 110,00 miles right now and it's been working fine so far. If anyone is interested in replacing theres I can get you more information - on removing the ABS module from the car as well as the person who fixed it.

I just had mine rebuilt. It takes about 15 minutes to take out and put in. The rebuild cycle took a couple of days including shipping. He found a cracked circuit board. The dealer wanted over $600 just for the part and probably another $150 to swap it. I did the whole job for around $150 and so far so good.
    Marc
    2000 V70 XC AWD

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast