View Poll Results: How many times has your abs module gone bad?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Once

58 66.67%
  • Multiple times

4 4.60%
  • Never

25 28.74%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

2000 V70 SE XC wagon with 64000 mi. Lights been on for a couple of months, took to dealer (240mi away is closest) for proper diagnoses-$810 for repair. Just pulled it out today and sent it in for a rebuild for hopefully $140.

Are you guys sending it to Vitor Rocha Volvo ABS Module repair

rodrigo
    Notre équipe, c'est couleuvre...et dans couleuvre il-y-a le mot cool. Alors, on va ce la jouer plutôt cool...que Vipère

Yah, I sent mine to Victor Rocha. Sent it on a Sat and had it back in the car the following Friday. He said that the board in it was cracked, the common problem.
    2000 V70 XC SE Red - Wifes
    +----------------------------------+
    1996 850R Black - Mine Now

i used to work in electronics so if someone can post a pic of said abs unit, i will do mine. it comes on and off occasionally. so best to do it soon ! meant to ask, are these xc model specific or are they interchangeable with other models too ?

Quote Originally Posted by rab View Post
    i used to work in electronics so if someone can post a pic of said abs unit, i will do mine. it comes on and off occasionally. so best to do it soon ! meant to ask, are these xc model specific or are they interchangeable with other models too ?
    There is a guy here on Long Island who did the job himself following a page I found in Volvospeed as a how to. He replied back a few days later saying it was not too bad, and that he put his module back in, and the lights went out after a few minutes of driving. As soon as VS is up and running again (going through updates) I will post that link.

PS: Mine has not been touched in the last 30k I've driven it...it's up to 72,000 miles

rodrigo
    Notre équipe, c'est couleuvre...et dans couleuvre il-y-a le mot cool. Alors, on va ce la jouer plutôt cool...que Vipère

Default ABS module

It seems like this is a real problem with this generation of V70 and perhaps other models. I had the same issue on my 99 XC and took it to a former Volvo tech that fixed it for $180, instead of the $1,000 the dealer wanted. In fact, I found the guy on this board in case anyone wants to know how to get around a dealer. It's a rebuilt ABS module that is supposed to be much better than new and so far (500 miles and counting) no lights!! Fantastic

I'm working on a 1997 850. The ABS light is on and I've replaced the wheel sensors, no help. Where is the abs module so I can inspect/replace it?

Thanks!
    Last edited by just66horns; 04-25-2007 at 12:36 PM. Reason: typo
    Lee
    99 v70xc
    1984 Porsche Carrera Targa
    Get a manual and work on your Volvo yourself!
    Best cars to work on bar none. (although we may have to...)

Unhappy abs issue

sorry; I don't know. The mechanic that fixed my abs light issue did the work and I wasn't around.

here's something else I learned after taking my abs sensor to Victor. A Volvo tech said he's heard that some people who claim to repair them cheap are actually just disabling the light at the sensor and while it might show there's no problem...really nothing's been done. If the light is coming on it means that there's a serious ABS problem or the ABS model is bad. Be careful who you take it to for cheap repairs...Victor did mine and it works great...ABS too!

My car is a 2000 V70XC with 110K miles. The ABS and Trac lights had been on for around 5,000 miles. I was putting off getting the ABS unit fixed. Finally while driving over the SF bay Bridge the speedometer went to zero and the odometer turned to all blank lines. They both were off for about 5 minutes then came back on. This repeated a few more times during the drive home. Local Volvo shop quoted around $800 to remove and replace with the OEM controller. GULP!

Started reading some of the various Volvo boards. Remove and replace didn’t seem that difficult. Found a company on E-bay where they ship the new unit out, you do the swap and send the old one back in. Wasn’t much feedback on the quality of the new controller board. Really wanted to avoid this exercise again. Found lots of good references to Victor Rocha’s ABS Rebuilds in southern California. His rebuilds are reported to be much stouter than the original units and he is also set up to test your old board when he receives it.

Victor’s rebuild service was the obvious choice for me. Pulling the old controller board took about 55 minutes after buying the Torx E5 socket in a set at Kragens for $16. Had to remove the air filter cold air box and move the turbo intake hose a bit to reach two of the four screws. Reintallation time was only about 30 minutes. Victors instructions are top notch, especially the part about the wiring harness connector. The warning lights are off now and I can't wait for the snow to really test the ABS controller out.

I hope my answer to the original question posted is "ONCE!"

ps: Thought I should register and post since others posts saved me over $600 along with a serious dose of D.I.Y. satifaction!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast