Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big Dog Advice

Thumbs up Looming large and looming around

Quote Originally Posted by John@CdnRockies
    ... I just couldn't resist jibin' ya, ...

John
    I just can't believe you did that, John. you just wait until you want some advice on hauling boats around and I will examine every word you put down and jump in at a moments notice.

BTW the clock is now ticking so that farm land is looming large, so I guess I will have to get a new XC on order and a trailer or two. You'll have to come East for a ....paint party....yard party....pool party oh what the heck let's have a party (young girls' whose mothers drive XC99's need not apply ) sorry John, could not resist that one again, he he.

Thumbs up Tie them down, good & proper

Quote Originally Posted by budrichard
    ...The weakest link is the attachment point in the Volvo in my opinion. ... -Dick
    Is this what you were referring to Dick?

Although I do prefer the idea of this, as a means of securing the dog in the back

Never did like the idea of having a missile sitting on the back seat trying to lick me, or bark in my ear when it see's another dog. I find this (second picture) makes more sense and also stops the dog from jumping out when we go for 'walkies'.

You have the correct restraint system.
    The dog can be in the back seat but we always use the rear attachment point in the cargo area. We keep a tether permanently affixed in each XC. Then you only have to harness the dog and attach the tether to the dog. Any seat belt attachment point would be stronger. i am going to look into a way to get to a seat belt anchor point with the dog in the rear cargo area. -Dick
    '11 XC70 Silver/Off Black-Hers
    '03 XC70 Silver/Charcoal-His
    '99 XC70 Silver/Charcoal -Granddaughter's
    '87 740GLE Junk Yard@287K miles
    2013 Porsche Boxster
    2017 Porsche C4S

I use the same restraint system to keep my dog on the back seat, since when I travel, the trunk is loaded. It is a very good system, it is one of the few that wil keep the dog in its place in case of a collision.
    I also have a tether attached in both my cars, it really works well.
    Willy
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

Smile It takes one to know one

As the name implies we travel with a LARGE Bouvier des Flanders, he is 115# and 27.5" tall at the shoulder. When he was smaller we used the devider 50/50 with the gate. After a bit we moved the devider to 60/40 and removed the gate to make it easier for the dog to jump into the car. Now that he is fully grown ( I hope) at 2.5 years it's 70/ 30, with just enough space for a duffel bag in the back. His regular ride is a 4.5 hour jaunt from the city to the country and he is happy to sleep or look out the window for the entire journey. I have tried the ride with the entire back as dogdom but he likes it better when he can fill the space from side to side. He can stand, turn around and sit upright so with the AC cranked to full blast he is in doggie heaven. I NEVER LEAVE HIM IN THE CAR when the temp is above 50 or we are parked in the sun so our mid trip snack is always outdoors .... as is his water bowl. BTW, I also have the cargo bed liner so his muddy paws don't make a mess.

AL

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions. We have yet to buy a XC70, but hope to in the next few months. It will become our primary source of transportation for our travels from Washington state to Wyoming for family visits. Currently the Mt Dog gets about 1/2 to 2/3rds of the back seat of our dakota quad cab (seats folded up and homemade floor to make the cargo area flat). He seems to be very comfortable and sleeps for most of the 10 hour ride. From everyones responses it sounds like the XC70 should fit our needs perfectly!

Canada: Calgary Alberta - Panorama Mountain BC - Pender Island BC

In addition to your four-footed friend, you personally will enjoy driving a Volvo over those distances. Our XC commute is 600 miles across the Rockies (Calgary to Victoria) to a country place. The trip takes ten hours and those Volvo seats are extra-ordinarily comfortable. Long rides are what this wagon is built for!

John
    '04 XC70 Canadian Premium and Sport packages, Black (425,000 kms)
    '06 XC70 Ocean Race Model, IPD to 240 hp, 18" rims, Deep Blue
    Other rigs: '06 Toyota Avalon, '15 Jeep Grand Cherokee, '23 BMW330e (Plug-In-Hybrid)

Hi, we use the steel barrier and divider. Excellent and solid accessories. There is the 12V socket in the cargo area, ideal for a ventillator (I have built one from two 8 cm PC cooler).
    My04 XC70 ocean blue, 2.5T petrol, AWD, manual, DSTC, Nokian WR

The steel barrier and divider works very very well. We used it very often so that we could put both of our dogs (60lb f siberian husky and a 60lb f lab mix) in the back and still have room for luggage. When the divider is snug you can jam one side full of luggage with no worries that it will fall on your pet. It's a very sturdy peice of hardware.

2005 XC70 Barents Blue & Taupe leather, deliv. 12/04, built 11/04
    Prem / Conv / Climate / DSTC / NAV / 650 / Sirius / 60/40 / 3rd Row / Boosters / Thule / Weathertech mats / Mud Flaps / 46% Tint / Nokian WR SUVs

serviced by Red Bank Volvo, NJ & Volvo Westport, CT
    2001 V70XC~someone else's problem vehicle now
    VolvoClub ofAmerica

We have two 75lb Golden Retreivers that we often travel with. The key here is indeed a cargo box up top. We load everything up top and they have the entire cargo area in back.
    2004 XC70 Silver/Graphite Leather, Premium, Touring

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12