View Poll Results: Besides the etm think your XC is reliable all around ?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I do with full confidence

50 54.95%
  • Hell No I want to get rid of it

13 14.29%
  • Not sure I have doubts

28 30.77%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Queens, New York City, United States Of America

Quote Originally Posted by mrscullini
    what are the etm problems?
    ETM (Electronic throttle module) These cars have a drive by wire electronic throttle unit no cable throttle like older designs. On the 99- volvo's the etm modules go bad causing the car to either go dead, limping mode meaning the car can't drive for ****. Orginally the warrenty for the part was 40 or 50k, but these units would go bad after that meaning the owner has to pay out of pocket for the repair thru the dealer. They also tell you other parts are bad along with the etm like mass sensor, electronic air pump etc which aren't bad at all. Now volvo has a better warrenty on the part 10 yrs 200k. We all want volvo to do the right thing in replacing all the etms in there cars to a safer proper working part, but doubt that will happen with the new warrenty issued, unless the etms really go out of hand where ppl start dying on the road and than volvo will do the right thing. Also volvo has issued a new software for the etms saying this should fix the problems, me personally have had no problems with the etm since it broke. If the software updated is complete bull**** which many here believe, we will all find out soon enough.
    TyranT
    2007 Nissan Altima 2.5S CVT
    HID 6000k,LED'S 20% tint
    2000 Volvo V70XC AWD (SOLD)
    HID Lows/Fogs 6000k, 50%/35% tint, Dual Exhaust, Speedtuning ECU upgrade
    1997 Volvo 965 - 50%/35% tint
    1997 Nissan Altima HID 6000k/ Intake

[QUOTE=Tyrant11429]Now volvo has a better warrenty on the part 10 yrs 200k. QUOTE]

is the new warranty a blanket warranty? i mean, is it simply effective for this part or would i need to register for it or activate it by some other means?

is the new warranty a blanket warranty? i mean, is it simply effective for this part or would i need to register for it or activate it by some other means?[/QUOTE]

Nope the warrenty is on the part itself if your xc were to break down volvo would replace the etm for free, towing I doubt they would give your money back.
    TyranT
    HID 6000k,LED'S 20% tint

Worst car I've ever owned.

Ignominious customer care and "Volvo for Life" is more like "Lemon For Life".

Sorry for the acrimonious posting, but I had a real bad experience; wished it wasn't so, but it's the honest truth.

I'm outta here.

2006 Outback now with exemplar safety and reliability ratings.

This is the worst car I have ever owned!! Even Mopar is more reliable. Every month somthing else goes wrong and the stealer....won't even go there. Anyone want to trade for a mid to late 90s Acura RL or Legend?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrant11429 View Post
    Besides ETM problems (99-00 XC) you feel ur XC is reliable?
    Our 1998XC (Pre ETM) has been extremely reliable. We purchased it three years old with about 32,000mi. We have added 95,000mi since then without ever breaking down. The only costly repairs were the ABS module and a driveshaft but they were both covered under the Certified Used Car Warranty (recommended!!). Both problems did not strand the car. The only other problems are minor things.
    Upon purchasing I did some research to ensure the car was local and not from a flood prone area of the country and also I maintain the car well. I do not know if this is why we have done so well with ours-knock on wood.
    Steven
    2007 XC90 V8
    1998 V70XC
    1992 245

Quote Originally Posted by srs View Post
    Our 1998XC (Pre ETM) has been extremely reliable. We purchased it three years old with about 32,000mi. We have added 95,000mi since then without ever breaking down. The only costly repairs were the ABS module and a driveshaft but they were both covered under the Certified Used Car Warranty (recommended!!). Both problems did not strand the car. The only other problems are minor things.
    Upon purchasing I did some research to ensure the car was local and not from a flood prone area of the country and also I maintain the car well. I do not know if this is why we have done so well with ours-knock on wood.
    Well I notice most cars over 100k problems tend to start, but your lucky the driveshaft was covered. Well I hope your XC stays reliable as long as it can run.

When I had mine, the ETM was a pain, the abs module wasn't that serious of problems, the thing that annoyed me a lot was the damn door and tailgate lock kept going bad lol, changed 3 locks on that car within 2 years of owning. I'm lucky the drive shaft or bevel gear didn't go bad on me.
    TyranT
    HID 6000k,LED'S 20% tint

Default 2000 XC70 Check Engine Light

I bought my 2000 XC 70 used in Feb 2001 with less than 17K mi. It now has over 111K. Maintenance has been pricey over the past six years. One issue that has plagued my car is the check engine light. Two years ago, it stayed on almost constantly and my dealer reprogrammed the computer, which caused the car to run so rough it had to be flat bedded back to the shop. He then replaced the throttle body. Five minutes after I drove away, the check engine light came on again. He then replaced the mass airflow sensor and charged me for the part only, to acknowledge my inconvenience. The car has been running fine. Last year, the dealer informed me that Volvo came up with a software upgrade for the computer, which may have rendered my throttle body repair unnecessary. Volvo refunded the entire cost of the repair at $812.

Over the past few months, my check engine light has been coming on, when I take a curve or a sharp corner, but lately it is random. Sometimes I can make it go off by refueling the car and turning the gas cap a half dozen times. My state requires an emissions inspection to renew registration. During one of the times the light was not on, I took it to the inspection station and it passed with flying colors. A week later, I took the car to the dealer for its scheduled maintenance and mentioned all the above. The dealer connected the car to the diagnostic machine which gave an error code ECM-4801, Intermittent catalytic converter flow to low. The dealer said that if this code returns the catalytic converter may require replacement at an estimated cost of $1,100. (The dealer's estimates are always on the low side.)

What is troubling me is that my car passed an emissions test with an allegedly defective cat converter. I hate to pay $1,100 only to have that annoying orange light on my dash display again. I am planning to take the car to an independent repair facility that specializes in Volvo and Saab to get a second opinion.

Has anyone encountered this problem? If so, are you able to share any thoughts? Thank you for your time and assistance.

Is there no channel through which we can virtually flood VOLVO (Sweden, US, Europe) with all our grieves. Together, we would be stronger.

greets, Hans
    Hans
    2000 V70XC 2.4T LPGas
    ash gold pearl outside, oak inside
    Atlantis + Goodyear F1 235/50-18
    [santa] Tellus + Michelin PA2 215/65-16
    NO roofrails, NO badges on hatch

Default Love this car

I have been driving it in the recent snows we have had and it handles great. I love the AWD. You just have to keep up with the maintenance. Sure the car can be expensive to upkeep, but by doing alot of the work yourself you save money and get a better understanding of your car when it makes that funny noise. It is replacing my 94 945 Tic which has had major suspension mods, except the springs. My2000 handles better stock than the 945 on all my favorite roads.
    Hunter Davis
    Y2K V70 XC SE...54K.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast