View Poll Results: Besides the etm think your XC is reliable all around ?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I do with full confidence

50 54.95%
  • Hell No I want to get rid of it

13 14.29%
  • Not sure I have doubts

28 30.77%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Not thrilled

I think we have had the unfortunate luck to have all that could go wrong on this car - go wrong. ETS light is on again - and if its replaced it will be the 4th time (currently at 159K). O2 modules have been replaced several times, ignition coil #5 has been replaced 3 times, ABS mod rebuilt by Vic,various leaks, driveshaft was replaced, engine mounts replaced 2x (which i find absolutely poor as i have never heard of a vehicle that you have to replace engine mounts), thing eats tires like nobody's business, brakes - done myself - but replaced too many times (rotors, pads at least 4x and then both front calipers).... etc etc... My Chevy Tahoe with 249K has never had any major part replaced nor has any emission contol unit had to be worked on - In a nutshell my Chevy has been 100x more reliable in terms of maintenance than the 99 xc70 we are driving.

We love the physical stability of the car and how it handles but we are at the breaking point with maintenance costs.. We are balancing our pride and love for the car against the costs that it takes just to keep it reliable...

I have noticed that the newer models dont seem plagued by these "common" problems the older ones do... any insight into this?

I know volvo tried to appease us ETM jackals (not by choice!) by extending the warranty - but if it has crapped out on me 4 times to date - who is to say that if i keep after 200K i wont be back to paying 800-1000 to repair that damn part again.... ridiculous...

Any ideas for some public outcry to volvo? not that they are listening...

m-
    Last edited by mickman17; 08-07-2007 at 12:04 PM.

Default Burned Valve

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    A valve in the #3 cylinder burned and broke at 55k miles.

That looks like the same $5k valve (job) that I had done earlier this year. Very similar break pattern, but mine @ 160,000km (100k mi. ), cyl. #1 in a '98XC. Still, I decided to keep the car despite spending significant cash to keep those dash lights off.

Why have I kept it?
    It's otherwise paid for, looks fine, suits my needs, carries family with poochie in the rear, very comfortably on long trips. And has never left me stranded in 4 yrs. (though a close call or 2)
    BTW the valve burned in city traffic on a weekend shopping trip...my wife limped it home, then me to the stealership the next day.
    Her comment: "It seemed to be running a little bit rough."

Unhappy Re: Burned Valve

Quote Originally Posted by mr.bobby View Post
    That looks like the same $5k valve (job) that I had done earlier this year....
    Luckily ours was under warranty although it took a month to fix during which time the dealership loaned us an S60 that my wife preferred driving to the XC (better acceleration, more nimble). When we got it back the XC90 had been out for a half-year and seemed a much better fit for our needs so we traded up; no major problems at 85k miles although I am glad the dealer is only a couple miles from home.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.bobby View Post
    Her comment: "It seemed to be running a little bit rough."
    We were cranking up a hill when it suddenly lost power. Sputtered to a safe place and had it towed because there was obviously something very wrong.
    '04 XC90 2.5T, ~170K miles, ash gold/graphite, 7-seater, towing, nav
    "Objects in the mirror may be just as they appear." - Steve Forbert

Default Can I change my vote?

… I’m not so sure now.

I just returned from a 660 mile round trip. I got 30 mpg on the first leg of the trip and the car ran like a top, then barely 20 mpg on the return - all back roads both ways - no interstate. Two thirds of the way back the friggin’ ETS light came on and throttle response became sluggish and gas mileage went south. I know there’s a correlation between heavy cruise control use and ETM failure so I shouldn't be surprised by this since I’m commuting 80 miles per day and use the cruise extensively. This is my second ETM. First one crapped out at 66K miles and the car now has 101K miles (35K on the ETM). I’m a little disappointed (well – p’ed off) that I’m headed down this road again this soon.
    Mike
    Bluegrass-XC
    (Somewhere on the Space Coast)

2000 V70 SE Cross Country
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer 4x4 (in Blazer Heaven)

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool -
    than to open your mouth and remove all doubt".

If you want reliable buy a toyota. If you want a nice car that handles great buy European. I recommend working on your own car if you want to own a Euopean one to save a lot of $. The poll needs to have another choice: Hell No, but what did you expect, I love it anyway.

Default ETS Light is on for First Time

The ETS light came on today for the first time at 120k miles in my 2000xc70. From what I hear from you guys, the car has a 10yr/200k warranty on this and I can take it to the dealer for a free fix?? Free repair seems hard to believe, and just like the rest of you, I am somewhat astounded by the costs of keeping the car running well. I am willing to work on the car up to a point, but many of the repairs are out of my league.

The important info I am trying to get is this...IS THE ETS FIX UNDER THE 10YR/200K WARRANTY?? I want to know before I take it into the dealer!:

10 years/200,000 miles warranty
    Go to your dealer, NOW

The car seemed to have a poor service history when I bought it at 129,000 miles. The bevel gear had been replaced twice (to be fair the first one was believed defective), alternator, radiator, and much more to the tune of many thousands of dollars. It was 100% dealer serviced and appeared to spend about as much time at the dealer as in its driveway. But when I inspected it I could find no major problems so I took a chance. The first thing I did was stop taking it to the dealer for service and in the year I have owned it I have spent a little over $100 on repairs (bad #5 coil). It has run near perfectly and been 100% reliable. Go figure.

I know the previous owner thought he was unloading a lemon on me (he didn't know I had the service records), so I think I'll send him a note next month on the 1-year anniversary thanking him for selling me such a reliable car.
    Last edited by instarx; 11-25-2008 at 04:06 AM.
    2000 V70 XC SE
    165,000 miles and runs great.
    Total repair costs over last 65 months: $720 (about 1.5 car payments);
    Best single tank mileage ever: 32.8; Average mileage: 22.2; City: 18

I will have another Volvo but not a '98-00.

Since 96K when I got it...until now, 138K....
    - drivers window switch
    - drivers seat switch
    - tailgate wiring harness
    - evaporator (what a bitch)
    - radiator
    - loss of compression on #5, driving it anyway
    - radio lights out (living with)
    - more than I can think of right now.

Frankly, it's been a PITA but man I love to drive it.
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrass-XC View Post
    … I’m not so sure now.

I know there’s a correlation between heavy cruise control use and ETM failure
    You are totally incorrect!
    An ETM will last LONGER if you're using cruise control for longer periods of time.
    More highway driving leads to longer ETM life.
    The "fingers" in the ETM move less while cruising at a constant speed

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast