Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Default Nokian WR 235/60-16 update

Yeah, the WRs have the snowflake in a mountain sihlouette designation, they are great snow/ice tires. But I have been wondering (nervous) about what they would do when the temperatures warmed up. Would they turn into gumbies?

We hit 85f today, and they were absolutely fine. In fact, I can't tell any difference in their handling and personality from when it was 20f. The tire sidewalls only heated up to 111f (after sustained running at 70 mph, 32 psi)) but there was no squealing on turns, mushy response, nothing detectable in normal driving. Maybe in a G-pad test something might show up, but for normal spirited driving, they are still great. I would say that their performance capabilities exceed that of the suspension dynamics of these high center-of-gravity wagons. That's a personal opinion, YMMV.

Remember, these are 235/60's, not XC specification size 215/65's. I had the 215 WRs which were "SUV" designation, and thought they were too rough riding. I love these 235 tires: smooth, quiet, excellent traction in all conditions, and really cool looking. How amazing. Heck, I would buy these tires even if they never saw snow.

My next report will come at 100f, probably in July. I highly doubt that their characteristics will fall off a cliff in the next 15 degrees, but we will see.

'04 XC70, Ice White, Taupe. Original owner (196K miles as of may21). 6 wheel bearings, broken ignition switch, broken turbo downtube flange, failed throttle body, many warped rotors, and a myriad of weird crap. Still my favorite car ever.

Default Imported post

Thanks Gibbons,

This kind of research is so useful to other members - and of interest for those who probably won't have need (no snow) for "extreme " boots.

Keep 'em coming!
    Mike.

Mine: XC 70 Sport 2009 D5 Inscription Electric Blue.
    VNS, DSTC and 4C, BLIS, LDW ventilated leather ACC; Yummy.

All gone now - XC70 MY 13 SE LUX Flamenco red - goes better than the '09 even with its "Polestar plus" upgrade. I justy miss the PCC...

Hers: V60 Flamenco Red 215HP D5 (like above XC70 spec)

Default Imported post

Gibbons:  Thanks for the update.  I'm still steaming along on the worn out Scorpians and going deaf in my left ear with all the road noise.  Hoping to get a few more miles out of them and then will try the Nokian 235's later this year before the snow flies again.
    All the best, Big Al.

Default Imported post

Big Al, when you do get them, you will say, "man, I shoulda just chucked the Scorps earlier!"  
    '04 XC70, Ice White, Taupe. Original owner (196K miles as of may21). 6 wheel bearings, broken ignition switch, broken turbo downtube flange, failed throttle body, many warped rotors, and a myriad of weird crap. Still my favorite car ever.

Smile Imported post

I recently (3 weeks ago) had the Nokian 235s put on our '01 and they are oustanding. What a difference! We've had a lot of rain recently in the Detroit area. The feel on dry and wet pavement is great.

Funny note: The tech who put the tires on wanted to know why I was putting snow tires on in May.

The road noise is gone but now my wife noticed a clunking noise from the front end. I have driven the car and noticed it also! It is annoying now that the tire noise is gone.

Is there a forum discussing control arms, sway bars? covered under warranty?

I don't want to muddy this forum. i look forward to the updates from Gibbons.
    01 V70 XC Ash-gold, chocolate int., sub-woof, Nav, window tint all the way around
    05 Merc. Mountaineer, Silver, Premium

Default Imported post

Welcome to the site reeder!    

About sway bars and/or stabilizer bars, simply search the site using these words. You'll find plenty!
    Raynald
    Former owner of a 2001 V70XC Nautic Blue
    Sept 2003 - April 2007
    « Sold » with 167,427 km on the clock, to my stepson...
    Still proudly showing volvoXC.com Sticker for posterity !!!

Question Do they rub?

These tires are 20mm wider than the width on the standard Scorpions. Do they rub at full lock on the front wheels?

Default No rub, no worries

Wiz, Nokians are typically narrow for their stated width. So, in practical application, measured with the giant caliper I bought just to check it out for myself, I found that the 235/60 WRs measure 9.4" at the widest part of the body, and the 215/65 Scorpion STRs measure 9.0". So, the 235 WR is actually only .2" (5mm) wider on each side. In fact, 215/65 WRs I tried were only 8.7" wide, they looked funny on the 7" rims.

The weather is up to 90 degrees now, and I still have noticed no heat induced personality change in these tires that are the best snow/ice tires I have used. I have Hakka Q's for our Subaru, and Hakka LTs for our truck. They turn to jelly at about 50 degrees. When the Hakka's and Potenza's (winter/summer sets) wear out on the Subaru, I will run WRs year round on it.

Thumbs up

Very interesting, gibbons. Thanks for the highly informative feedback. One or two other members purchased the original Nokian WR that had a light truck or SUV designation, and they reported that the ride quality was a bit on the rough side.

Looks like this passenger version is the tire to get!

I have been using the WRs for the past two seasons with excellent results. MUCH better cornering hot or cold. MUCH less tire noise and rumble than from the standard Scorpions. Wear has been minimal in 22K miles (about 1/3). Winter traction is excellent. That about sums it up. BTW I rotate the tires at 7.5K.

Steve
    2005 XC 42,500 miles .....and gone
    Barents Blue with Taupe
    Premium
    Convenience
    Climate (no IAQS, damn....damn)

Missing (but not as much as before) the 2002 XC 42K
    Platinum Green with Taupe
    Premium
    Convenience
    Climate

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast