Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Imported post

Well I did the first oil change on the XC last night. One thing I must admit that I was chuckling at was the little grill that covers oil fill opening. What a great idea! You never need to worry that some chucklehead mechanic is going to drop a nut or a wrench in the engine. (don't laugh, I've seen it happen)
    The one beef I have is the #$% ^$@!#$^& Volvo design and location of the oil filter. I was ticked off when I changed the filter at 3K and again now. See, since I installed the aluminum skid plate I have access without removing it everytime I need to change the oil. The issue is the darn filter is full of oil and a lot more above it that comes streaming down all over the plate and runs out the vents in 6 places all over you clean garage floor. ARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!! Why can't they get the hint and use an anti drain back valve and mount it up top like most european manufacturers. Sheeesh, what a mess. I had to use a whole bottle of brake cleaner to clean off the plate and then had to drag out the hose and flush the car, garage, and driveway down. I have a topsider oil vacuum system (works great) and it would be nice to not have to go under the car at all. I need to make some kind of insertable plastic cover to slide in there before I remove the filter and have it funnel the oil to the front and into a catch pan.

Sorry for the vent!

Jason
    Jason,

Riding with the Big Dog.

Default Imported post

I was wondering what year your XC was, mine 99
    I just joined the club of owners and am beginning to set up a service plan for my self which included the frequency of oil change.

And it is good to vent...

Default Imported post

Not only is it good to vent but the information can be useful. I was going to change the filter today myself (at 3400mi.) and I happened to read your post.

Cue postponement of filter change to next weekend while I organize my cone & catch pan.

What is the size of the bolts on the plastic skid plate?
    MY2002 - V70XC
    Nautic Blue/Graphite

Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

Default Imported post

Great tips Jason!

Any chance of submitting some pics of your change next round? I'm thinking that it would make a nice addition to the resources how-to section.

Default Imported post

Thanks guys,

I'll snap some shots on the next go around. It'll be in 2 months or so as I'm starting to accumulate the miles rather quickly. On point I'll make is that the change would be a lot less messy with the plastic pan as you can remove that and put a catch pan directly under the filter. I guess there are trade offs to protecting the engine......I have been snooping around different stores looking for something to catch and funnel the oil forward and out of the pan. Nothing yet but I'm picking up some thin acrylic sheets and am goint to try and mold them to a shape that allows removal of the filter and still fits into the opening. I'm thinking that that might require the removal of the aluminum skid plate and a permanent attachment to be large enough to catch everything. HHmmmmmmmm.....I have to give this some thought.....

Jason.
    Jason,

Riding with the Big Dog.

Arrow Imported post

That sounds all way to messy for me. I'll spent the extra bucks at the dealer...
    2008 V70 2.4 Classic Sports Edition

Default Imported post

If I understand the issue correctly... it is not just that the oil doesn't fall in the pan but that it gets the engine compartment messy.  A sure way to accumulate dust and other useless items from the road.

Can and does the dealer do it any better?

Default Imported post

Well I think the issue is more in Jason's case that he has a heavy-duty aluminum engine skid plate under the car, not the wimpy plastic plate that's factory installed.

There is a cut-out in one corner of the skid plate around the oil filter container. The cut-out is there so that you can change the filter without removing the plate. The problem is that when you unscrew the filter container the oil in it and above it is partially caught by the plate and distributed over the floor in a fairly wide area.

That is not good, so Jason was unhappy...

He probably had the car on a ramp, which would increase the likelihood of the skid plate catching the oil. A dealership (one would hope) would have the car on a lift so this problem is less likely to occur there.
    MY2002 - V70XC
    Nautic Blue/Graphite

Default Imported post

Wiz,

LOL, you are partially right. The cut out is there but to protect the oil filter it is off to the side so you have to tip the oil filter cartrige side ways to get it out. Thus spilling the contents everywhere. The nice thing is you don't need ramps for the oil change at all. I just use a creeper and roll up there and remove the offending part.

Also you don't get oil all over the engine compartment. You would have to drop the quart during the fill up to do that. You get a little run down the oil pan but that's all. The rest just slowly spreads out across the belly pan! See, you can't really get an oil filter wrench in there to remove it quickly. You have to spin it by hand. This is hard to do, A. It's hot. B. The rubber O-ring seals it tight and makes removal a lot slower and harder. C. see B. D. See B & C! It turns hard for he first 4-5 complete rotations due to the tight seal. Also, upon re-install make SURE YOU TIGHTEN IT ALL THE WAY! It may seem tight, but in general it is not. You do not need a Challlenger O-ring failure on you new XC.

Just like I said, have a can of brake cleaner handy. wipe up what you can, and spray down the rest. That stuff will get the oil up for sure. One side not, brake cleaner is the same stuff, well close that dry cleaners use. So if you get an oily stain on something you can use it to take the stain out.* (*always check for color fastness first)

Martha's tip for the day.

Jason
    Jason,

Riding with the Big Dog.

Default Imported post

Good info. Jason...I was seriously considering the IPD skid plate. It seemed like a great idea, having access to the filter.
    I still like the idea of the extra protection though.
    On my 2001, I don't remember seeing that little grill. It must have come out in 2002.    
    '05 XC90/V8/Titanium Grey/Graphite loaded, minus the navigation system

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast