Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Imported post

Don't waste your money on the IPD unit. No offense to IPD, they have great products. The Volvo unit is cheaper. Mine was $179.00 and it has the proper NACA ducts and airflow diverters like the plastic belly pan. The IPD unit just has a lot of holes drilled in it.

Jason
    Jason,

Riding with the Big Dog.

Default Imported post

Are there notable differences between 99 and 01+ as it relates to the oil change and the filter locations? Could this make some difference in the "spill factor"?

Default Imported post

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (gracefilledfool @ Nov. 06 2002,13:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Are there notable differences between 99 and 01+ as it relates to the oil change and the filter locations? Could this make some difference in the &quot;spill factor&quot;?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Nope, same location.

jason
    Jason,

Riding with the Big Dog.

Default Imported post

wellllll........i did a site search for oil change and read everything there was to read about changing the oil. &nbsp;then, i had the dealer change the oil and filter, going to mobil 1 synthetic. &nbsp;this was done on my recently delivered 02 v70xc, overseas delivery, 3600 miles when it arrived at the dealer last week from sweden. &nbsp;to tell the truth, i really thought that a lot of you folks were kind of compulsive and i almost laughed at your general distrust of dealer servicing. &nbsp;i don&#39;t even want to go into the cost debate&#33; &nbsp;anyway, i noticed a spot of oil under the car yesterday and crawled up under there to see what was happening. &nbsp;based on the reports i had read, i was able to get the factory, plastic skid plate off easily. &nbsp;mine only had 7 bolts, however. &nbsp;when i got the plate off and looked for the source of the oil leak, i found that the drain plug was only hand loose/tight&#33; &nbsp;based on this finding and the fact i am more than 100 miles from the dealer, i will probably be changing my own oil from now on. &nbsp;

THANKS - a big thanks to all of you who posted info on oil changes, types of oil, skid plates, etc.
    '02 V70XC, white, can be seen in Volvo OSD DVD

Default Imported post

rkestner, that&#39;s not good is it? The cooler latch was broken too - makes you wonder about the dealership...

My &quot;skid plate&quot; also has 7 bolts, BTW. I&#39;m leaving the factory oil in until the 7.5K service, but I am going to change the filter. The filter is a &amp;%*tard to get at - I bought iPd&#39;s filter wrench and it requires an unusually large 6-point socket to use it. I will post the details here when I change the filter.
    MY2002 - V70XC
    Nautic Blue/Graphite

Default Imported post

FWIW

I&#39;llhopefully get arount to the catch pan for the oil filter this weeekend. I&#39;ve been way too busy lately. I have been commuting back and forth to Madison, WI from the western burbs of Chicago to see my father who is undergoing Chemo for lung/adrenal cancer. He seem to be fairing pretty well so far. Some scary times with a vicious staff infection though.....My attorney fixed that one in a hurry......150 miles each way 4 days a week. I was driving the Volvo, but quickly opted for the TDI as I can make 2 round trips and one 1 way on 15 gals of Diesel. Yep 750 miles. Averaging 75+ mph too.

I&#39;ll have the pictures to show what I did when we get done.

Thanks,

Jason
    Jason,

Riding with the Big Dog.

Default oil change(s) update

wellll......

had the 60K service done at the dealer recently, including oil and filter change. picked up the car and got about 1 block from the dealer when blue, oil based smoke appeared in voluminous quantities from under the hood. did a u-turn and returned to dealer to find that they overfilled the oil causing the turbo oil supply hose to burst. once again, simple things not done right. seems like i will have to remain directly involved in the maintenance of this car. i do not fault the dealer, but i am always vigilant and assume that i know best for the car.

worked on the car yesterday, including checking the battery levels. it appears that i am the first to remove the battery cover since it was installed at the factory during production, in spite of at least 4 dealer maintenance visits requiring battery checks. once again, attention to detail and simple things.

rich kestner
    '02 V70XC, white, can be seen in Volvo OSD DVD

Default I want to change my oil

I just bought my v70 and I want to change my oil. Is there any website out there that can give me some detailed instructions. Or would any one out there be kind enough to respond with some pointers?

Quote Originally Posted by williamohara
    I just bought my v70 and I want to change my oil. Is there any website out there that can give me some detailed instructions. Or would any one out there be kind enough to respond with some pointers?

Raise the car of course, have jack stand support the car, use a 12mm i believe to unbolt the under car cover, there should be 7 of them. then you'll locate the oil pan, use a 17mm wrench to crack lost the drain plug.. drain the oil, besure to replace the drain plug washer each oil change, reinstall the drain plug. then the IPD item oil filter wrench cap using a 3/8' rachet unscrew. replace the seal on the cap with a new one, stick the filter on, tighten it back up. re attach the under car cover. Fill the engine will min of 4.5 quarts of motor oil. Run engine for a few seconds, check oil level. Then your all set. Just remember your next oil change.
    [2002 V70 XC] Venetian Red Metallic/Blk Leather*33k+ miles
    -Hands-Free Phone Set, all packages except Nav.
    Turbocharger replaced April/2005 under warranty.

[1991 245] Metallic Blue/Blue Leather*175k+ miles my daily beater.
    [1994 854 GLT] *141K+ miles

Member of Volvo High Mileage Club and the miles keeps ROLLING!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12