Thread: Cloth Interior

Default Cloth Interior

My apologies if this has been discussed. Searched but did not find, so here goes.

Does anyone have any input on what it's like to live day to day with the "cloth" interior? Knowing that it's a mix of vinyl and cloth. For instance, I know that leather is easier to clean, but are there other significant downsides to not having the leather interior? Does it hurt resale value? By contrast, are there any upsides to the cloth?

Reason for the question is that we're looking at an 06 XC70 at $31,276--has climate but nothing else (aside from metalllic paint & destination). Seems like a good price ($4k under invoice) if the lack of leather isn't a big deal--though certainly do wish it had DSTC. The other premium package items aren't a big deal to us.

Thanks!

I had cloth interior in my 2001 V70. It was very easy to clean and maintain (although the cat hairs probably stuck to it more than leather).

When I purchased the car, I didn't see the need to spend an additional $1,500 on leather given that I intended to keep the car for a long time.

I moved and subsequently got a 2004 XC70 with leather. For the first few months it felt like pure indulgence, and I enjoyed the leather. After that, I hardly noticed.

From a resale value it is far better to have leather. Most people want it. I sold my V70 last summer, and compared its BB value to a leather equipped version: $1,200 difference. Had I spent $1,500+ more in 2001, then I would have gotten $1,200 of it back in 2005. I sold the car to a friend, but I'm sure that had I tried to market the car it would have been far easier to sell with leather interior.

The leather option costs you more, but it depreciates very slowly. If you are considering a possible resale at some point, and the only other package on the '06 is Climate, my vote is to get the leather.

Smile

I never buy a car based upon resale--my choice is 1. car, 2. options, 3 money!!!---why buy a car based on what future oweners want--get the most of what you want and can afford and then ENJOY!!!
    2010 XC60 3.2AWD; 2004 XC70 OSD both models

If you are going to keep the car for a long time the resale value is not as important as if you will sell in 3-5 years.

We had cloth in the Honda we replaced with the Volvo. Sold that car after 9+ years. the cloth was still OK. If you need to replace cloth it is not terribly expensive. I replaced the vinyl inset in a truck with cloth for about $150.

Cloth is cooler in summer and warmer in winter. If we did not have heated seats in the Volvo I would not like the leather at all.
    Last edited by slowflyer; 01-15-2006 at 05:30 PM.
    Current: 2010 XC70 T6 Caspian Blue/Grey

Previous: 2001 V70XC Nautic Blue/Grey 218K Volvo High Mileage Club,

Quote Originally Posted by freewill
    Reason for the question is that we're looking at an 06 XC70 at $31,276--has climate but nothing else (aside from metalllic paint & destination). Seems like a good price ($4k under invoice) if the lack of leather isn't a big deal--though certainly do wish it had DSTC. The other premium package items aren't a big deal to us.
    Thanks!
    Very good price.

I recently ordered a new one (still on the way) and did not want leather due to our planned use -- hiking, canoeing, lots of back roads, etc. Also, my experience is that cloth wears better than leather, although that is comparing a 96 "all cloth" 850 to a 96 leather 850. I hope the vinyl+cloth on the new ones wears as well.

I ordered a sunroof and DSTC in addition. I really wanted DSTC and that is why I special ordered. However, if I had seen a new one at that price without it, I might have grabbed it. Here that car would only come as the result of a special order which fell through, leaving the deposit.
    Volvo, great seats for life.
    Current: 06 XC70 (Nokian WR), 98 S70 GLT
    Previous (all used): 96 850 Turbo Wagon, 96 850 5sp, 94 850, 75 245
    Other: 08 Forester XT 5sp, 03 Outback, 00 2.5RS 5sp

Default Thanks

Many thanks for your replies. Did some additional research and it sounds like the t-tec synthetic cloth may not be a real negative, particularly since it is the graphite color which may survive toddlers in better shape than taupe. Any feedback on color choice & kids?

Now just struggling with the absence of DSTC, which looks to add about $3 to 4k since it always seems to come with the premium package & other options (at least in available vehicles in this region). Sure would like my wife's daily driver to have every safety enhancement available -- otherwise we wouldn't be interested in trading our 01 Subaru Outback (which hasn't given us any problems, aside from my sore body whenever I drive it) for a new Volvo.

Anyway, thanks again!

Go with the graphite cloth.

As far as DSTC goes - I live in New Hampshire and it's very hard to get my XC70 in a spin. I don't think DSTC is "overkill" as people have said, but I've been very happy with how the car controls without it. If I could pick between 2 cars on the lot - one with DSTC and one without DSTC - sure, I'd pick the DSTC. If having the DSTC means a special order, longer wait, etc., then I'd be just as happy without it.