Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ETM Update

Default ETM Update

The US Dep. of Trans. contacted me on 1/9 regarding the ETM problem. A very nice rep. had retrieved my name from a Volvo complaint. He is compiling info on the type of problems arose from a faulty ETM. As of right now, if you have had ETM work done, Volvo will refund labor costs.
    Next step, I hope, recall and replace.

Go to www.VEXEDvolvo.org for additional info.
    Ex-C70 owner
    ---------------
    VEXED

Quote Originally Posted by cookeville
    The US Dep. of Trans. contacted me on 1/9 regarding the ETM problem. A very nice rep. had retrieved my name from a Volvo complaint. He is compiling info on the type of problems arose from a faulty ETM. As of right now, if you have had ETM work done, Volvo will refund labor costs.
    Next step, I hope, recall and replace.
    Does Volvo have a redesigned ETM?

Ta-ta, j.
    Second gen., Nautical Blue XC70Volvo: "Anything else just isn't up to it" and Wife's Volvo S70: "In manual Transmission She Trusts"

Default dept of transportation investigation

This is the first I have heard of an investigation by the Dept. of Transportation. Please provide more information. Who did you contact? Where and how did you file a complaint? What will be done with the information? I would like to file a complaint anywhere and everywhere. I still have not been contacted by NHSTA eventhough I have contacted them more than once and requested an email or call. We must get the word out about this dangerous design and force a recall not just a warranty extension.

* sigh *

I'll say it once again .....

Go to www.VEXEDvolvo.org ..... click on FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) and scan about halfway down the page.
    Ex-C70 owner
    ---------------
    VEXED

Simple "no" would have sufficed
    Second gen., Nautical Blue XC70Volvo: "Anything else just isn't up to it" and Wife's Volvo S70: "In manual Transmission She Trusts"

Default ETM Info from Volvo Cars US

Here's an e-mail exchange I had with Volvo US over the past few days (please read my initial e-mail at the bottom, first):

Dear Marc,

Thank you for contacting Volvo Cars of North America.

The new electronic throttle module is an upgraded version of the original. In addition, our engineers will also be releasing new software for the electronic throttle module to our authorized retailers in March 2006.

Sincerely,

Bill Clark
    Volvo Cars of North America

> To : [email protected]
    > Subject : FW: File No: XXXXX Date : Tue, 03
    > Jan 2006, 09:29:37 AM EST
    >
    >
    > If someone could answer my question: Is the replacement ETM of the same design as the original or is it an improved design? If it's not an improved design, then it seems likely I'll be dealing with the ETM issue again in the near future.

I've e-mailed your HQ in Sweden requesting this information several times, and have been told "do not worry." Apparently, headquarters is extremely reticent on this point, which leads me to believe the answer isn't likely to be acceptable.
    > Still, I'll remain guardedly optimistic pending your answer.
    > Thank you,
    > Marc

Default ETM replacement failures

I have neglected this site for a while.

The ETM now being installed in Volvo part number 8644347. I have reports that they have failed: driving out the door of the Volvo dealer, 7,000 miles, 12,000 miles and 20,000 miles. The current wiper in the throttle position sensor has 12 fingers. I have received resistance films that show full penetrations on one film and 6 penetrations on a different film. My theory on this is that those 9 fingers finally penetrated the thick film resistor and found the smooth plastic backing and could go no deeper. The remaining fingers finally scraped away enough of the thick film resistor that they no longer made contact.

If anyone has any evidence to the contrary, a part number from you service ticket, that shows a different part number being installed let me know.

Don Willson
    [email protected]
    VEXEDvolvo.org

Default More on ETM as of 1 /23/06

Our friends at the Volvo Club of America (VCOA) have published more about the ETM defect in their current "Rolling" magazine.

P. 8 ("Volvo in the News) says that "Volvo has voluntarily decided..." to extend the ETM warranty to 10 yrs./200,000 mi. The article says later on that "[t]he agreement was reached as a result of working with the California Air Resources Board..." Those of us that have watched this debacle should chuckle at the VCOA's use of the works "voluntarily" and "working with" in the article.

The most interesting thing about the VCOA article states:

"The electronically controlled throttle module of the fuel injection system can malfunction due to corrosion and get stuck..."

Are they serious? Has anybody heard of "corrosion" causing the ETM defect? In my case, our XC was always garaged from the day we bought it until the day the ETM defect stranded me in a strange town in California. "Corrosion?" Baloney. Anybody ever hear of an ETM getting "stuck?" The onboard computer puts the car into "limp-in" mode when the ETM defect occurs.

This fiasco just keeps getting stranger and stranger. Now, they are attributing the ETM design defect to "corrosion." If you believe this, I have a bridge I want you to buy!

Edmonds17

VOCA, although closely aligned with Volvo Cars of North America, is not a part of the company. Their writer's use of "Corrosion" and "stuck" in the Rolling summary are certainly not technically the best choice of words but the gist isn't so far off. The important point for most people is to learn about the extended warranty not the technical aspects of the underlying problem.

Bill
    Bill
    63 PV544 (attempted restoration)
    83 245 DL OSD (transferred to son)
    85 240 GL OSD (transferred to son)
    03 XC70 OSD (traded-in 4/12)
    05 AWD S80 OSD (transferred to son)
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast