Thread: spare key

Unhappy Imported post

I tried to get a spare key for our new (used) '02 XC 70.  The dealer says the key is $150 plus $100 for the remote (or visa versa),...  and something about it taking an hour of shop labor to program the key.    We love the car, but is there a way to get a spare key or two without spending that kind of money?
    2002 XC 70 35k
    1995 850 GLT 99k
    1980 242 GT

Default Imported post

You've come across one of the more expensive side effects of the modern car entry system. The key and remote will cost you. I had to replace my remote a few years ago for an S90 sedan and it cost around $100. A new key will cost around $20 and THEN you must have it laser cut by Volvo which runs another $25 (approx). Then after all this the key/remote must be programmed for you car's VIN/inginition which is another $25 (usually 1/2 hr of labor is nominal charge).

So a new remote will cost around $125 + tax and a new key will cost around $45 + tax. Both then would cost around $170.

For this reason when I bought my XC70 (OSD style) I bought an extra key and remote for $60 and they cut key and programmed it for FREE.

Losing you key is both frustrating and an expensive replacement. Losing or having the remote chewed by the dog is even more expensive.

Your $250 seems a bit steep to me -- try negotiating the price down some and ask other Volvo shops in the area what they charge. You can buy blank/uncut keys from Borton/MN for a reasonable price.
    Regards -- Barry Sharp
    ==============
    Current: MY2012 XC70 T6/Twi Bronze/Espresso Brown/Polestar/Platinum/BLIS/Tech/ABL/Scuff Plates/Front&Rear cameras
    Traded 2011 C30 R-Design
    Son's '01 S60 2.3L T5,Maya Gold,96Kmi
    Son's '03 XC70 Platinum Green (OSD)
    Daughter#1 2011 XC60
    Daughter#2 2010 XC90
    SOLD '86 745 GLE 6-Cyl-Turbo Diesel,Graphite,255Kmi
    SOLD '03 XC70 to my son
    SOLD '03 XC70, '04 S60R, '07 S60R

Default Imported post

I recently bought a key from my volvo dealer and had the parts dept. cut it but not program it.  That was $40.  I plan to hide it on the outside and use it to open the door when I inevitably lock myself out of the car.  Most likely, my keys will be in the car when this happens.  I know that this in unlikely with such a smart car, but I will find a way and the last time AAA used a slimjim on my 240 DL I spent a day taking apart the door to put things right.  Anyway the whole key set from my dealer would be aroung $250.

Wait Griswold
    Wait Griswold
    2003 XC70
    South Lake Tahoe, CA

Default Imported post

My car came with 3 keys - 2 with remotes and a valet key.  Seems to be enough for me ....! Why do you need another?  The valet key could be used also as the hidden key if you really want this.
    2001 XC silver/brown-taupe. All the bells and whistles.
    Nokian WR 235-60-16

1975 Mercedes 450 SL silver/black

Default Imported post

My '04 XC has the integrated key fob.  If I need this replaced, are there separate charges for the key itself and the "fob" part of the device?  It sounds like some of you have a separate key and remote device for operating basic functions.  Is that the case?  Did the car not used to come with the integrated device?

And, I too have two key fobs and a valet key.  I would need another one, though, if my wife or I lost our key fob.
    A Volvo with some stuff in it

Default Imported post

on the '02, the key is separate from the remote fob (not integrated).  No valet key came from the previous owner. Primarily, am concerned with my wife's misplacing the entire thing (key and remote) permanently and secondarily with locking the key in the car or losing it temporarily (maybe someday they'll make them with a locator, like cordless phones?).  Gone are the days of repalcement keys for $1-10.  So far, the cheapest idea is the unprogrammed key that would only open the door; but the main message I hear is that I will have to be more careful than before.
    2002 XC 70 35k
    1995 850 GLT 99k
    1980 242 GT

Default Imported post

A more spendy soln is to buy Volvo's OnCallPlus. With this you simply call OnCallPlus anytime of the day/night and they will remotely unlock the car for you.

I have this on my S60R and I tested the system out to make sure it did work as advertised -- IT DID.
    Regards -- Barry Sharp
    ==============
    Current: MY2012 XC70 T6/Twi Bronze/Espresso Brown/Polestar/Platinum/BLIS/Tech/ABL/Scuff Plates/Front&Rear cameras
    Traded 2011 C30 R-Design
    Son's '01 S60 2.3L T5,Maya Gold,96Kmi
    Son's '03 XC70 Platinum Green (OSD)
    Daughter#1 2011 XC60
    Daughter#2 2010 XC90
    SOLD '86 745 GLE 6-Cyl-Turbo Diesel,Graphite,255Kmi
    SOLD '03 XC70 to my son
    SOLD '03 XC70, '04 S60R, '07 S60R

Default Imported post

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (barrysharp @ Dec. 30 2003,20:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">A more spendy soln is to buy Volvo&#39;s OnCallPlus. With this you simply call OnCallPlus anytime of the day/night and they will remotely unlock the car for you.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I agree it&#39;s a valuable feature, but it&#39;s of limited value if your lost keys are somewhere other than in your car.
    On the road: Black/Taupe Leather 2004 V70 AWD with Premium and Touring Packages, HU-803 AudioMax, and Xenon Headlamps
    Formerly: Box-Stock 2003 XC70 White/Taupe Leather with Premium and Touring Packages and HU-803 AudioMax (Dec 03-Jan 04)

Default Imported post

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Chipshot @ Dec. 30 2003,21:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I agree it&#39;s a valuable feature, but it&#39;s of limited value if your lost keys are somewhere other than in your car.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Yes, but at least you have someone to talk to while you fumble for your keys in a dark parking lot.
    A Volvo with some stuff in it