Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

You must had a heck of a fun day!!! I wish I can try that. Im trying to find a off-road dirt trail in the bay area where i can try out the XC. Nice photos!!!
    [2002 V70 XC] Venetian Red Metallic/Blk Leather*33k+ miles
    -Hands-Free Phone Set, all packages except Nav.
    Turbocharger replaced April/2005 under warranty.

[1991 245] Metallic Blue/Blue Leather*175k+ miles my daily beater.
    [1994 854 GLT] *141K+ miles

Member of Volvo High Mileage Club and the miles keeps ROLLING!!

Truly impressive pictures...WOW! Thanks for sharing them.
    Cheers, Gary

2022 XC60 B5/Black
    2021 XC60 T5/ Osmium Gray (Wife's)
    2017 XC60 T6/ Bright Silver (Loaned to my Son)
    2015.5 XC70/Silver (Loaned to my Daughter)

2007 XC70/Rubyred (RIP)
    2003 XC70/Platinum Green (RIP)
    2001 V70/White (RIP)

Thumbs up XC 90 And Sand

Beautiful pictures. Yes Volvo shold see them.Impressive performance of an AWD XC70. I have a 90 AWD

I have to wonder how the bearings and other metal on metal areas will stand the test of time with sand in there.

Looks like fun though.

Thumbs up

Dani K.
    As usual you have taken us on a great trip. I wish I had as much courage as you. It was nice to see the XC matched up against the other manufacturer’s machines. I think we can all get a better idea of just how capable our cars really are.
    Great Pictures!

Sasquatch,
    I do wonder about the longevity of parts under those conditions, but I don’t believe the Volvo will fare any worse than the others. And from what I’ve seen of the cost for parts on my son’s Toyota FourRunner, I’m not sure it will be that much more expensive.
    -Steve
    '03 XC70 Silver, Graphite -Premium Package - Touring Package - VCOA
    '97 Jeep Cherokee Sport
    '78 Ford F250

Quote Originally Posted by XCS
    :...

Sasquatch,
    I do wonder about the longevity of parts under those conditions, but I don’t believe the Volvo will fare any worse than the others. And from what I’ve seen of the cost for parts on my son’s Toyota FourRunner, I’m not sure it will be that much more expensive.
    Good points. The only thing is that the Volvo is closer to the ground, and has narrower tires, thus could get stuff in more places (driveshafts, brakes, bearings, ...) more easily.

Cool stuff.

Hi Dani K., thx for the pics!! I enjoyed it very much :-) Am I allowed to copy some pics for my privat XC Homepage? I would also like to translate your description of that tour into German.

I have added a card of Katar. Could you please paint a point in that map to show us, were the tour took place? Is it the inland sea at the border to saudia?

Thanks a lot! Ragards
    Torsten - the www.xc-fan.de (and I could only drive my XC70 in special offroad terrains. But believe me, this is danger enough for a XC70. Pics from all the defectiv parts will follow ;-))

Thumbs up First up for the XC70-AT?

Dani, I'd bet that you may be the first on this site to go out and purchase the new XC70-AT. But then again, it seems your standard XC70 performed admirably!! Totally amazing expedition! Very impressive photo's. Thanks for posting. Wish I was there!
    2004 XC70 OSD May 26, 2003 Nautic Blue, taupe leather interior, prem. pkg, Volvo/Thule standard crossbars, rear skid plate, rear cargo net, Tellus wheels with Pirelli STR's.

Quote Originally Posted by XC-Fan
    Hi Dani K., thx for the pics!! I enjoyed it very much :-) Am I allowed to copy some pics for my privat XC Homepage? I would also like to translate your description of that tour into German.
    Sure thing XC-Fan. You can post the pictures on your website, which is great by the way. I only wish I could speak german. And Happy Birthday by the way.

I have added a card of Katar. Could you please paint a point in that map to show us, were the tour took place? Is it the inland sea at the border to saudia?
    The arrow on the map shows where we were. It's a fourty minute drive from Doha to Messaieed. That's where we deflated the tyres. From Messaieed onwords to the point on the arrow, it's all desert and it takes about 50 minutes to get there. You can see Saudi Arabia from there.

Thanks a lot! Ragards
    Torsten - the www.xc-fan.de (and I could only drive my XC70 in special offroad terrains. But believe me, this is danger enough for a XC70. Pics from all the defectiv parts will follow ;-))
    Make sure you post those pictures. The XC is great and I had no problems resulting from going up the dunes. I believe the effect is similar to driving in the snow due to the salt and all of that.

Quote Originally Posted by kayaking
    Dani, I'd bet that you may be the first on this site to go out and purchase the new XC70-AT. But then again, it seems your standard XC70 performed admirably!! Totally amazing expedition! Very impressive photo's. Thanks for posting. Wish I was there!
    Well kayaking I'm not sure if I'm the first one with a 2006 MY. Anyone else out there? I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures.
    Dani K.
    06 XC Lava Sand (Four-C, DSTC, Oak Leather, Booster Seats, HU-850, Front and Rear Skid Plates, Wooden Steering Wheel, Power Child Lock, Foldable Side Mirrors, Rear Parking Sensors, Roof Spoiler, Side Scuff Plates)
    05 Mercedes ML 350 Special Edition

Very, very cool pics and what a great trip that must have been.

As far as off road goes, this (no disrespect at all intended) isn't that great a deal. This would be a trail rating of 2 on the 1-5 scale. It's only a test of the traction control and awd system which are obviously very good. Sand and snow are not challenging aspects of offroad driving (articulation, clearance, approach & departure angles, etc).

...all that said this is one very very capable car...moreso than most would ever guess.

How did the tow eyelet fare?

2005 XC70 Barents Blue & Taupe leather, deliv. 12/04, built 11/04
    Prem / Conv / Climate / DSTC / NAV / 650 / Sirius / 60/40 / 3rd Row / Boosters / Thule / Weathertech mats / Mud Flaps / 46% Tint / Nokian WR SUVs

serviced by Red Bank Volvo, NJ & Volvo Westport, CT
    2001 V70XC~someone else's problem vehicle now
    VolvoClub ofAmerica

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12