Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Adventures in the Inland Sea

An unbelievable experience. This week-end was one of the best I ever had. Who would have thought that the XC70 could compete with the big boys in the sand dunes. Check it out yourself:

Doing 205 Km/h on the highway to get there .

Deflating the tires. I guess the following pictures will prove that this is not a debatable issue anymore and that the air pressure needs to go down. The desert experts I was with recommend getting it down to 15 psi (normally 30 when on the road)

Starting to move behind the big boys. Will the XC make it??

Lots of sand, but the weather was great.

Still keeping up.

No problem in going over this one.

And that one.

Making sure everyone is catching up.

Off we go again. The XC is very comfortable on the dunes.

Trying to go down one of the highest dunes.

A close-up picture so you would get a feel of this gigantic dune.

Impressive isn't it?

Got stuck, but mainly due to my inexperienced driving. The trick is to keep moving and not to stop at the tip of the dune. (But I had to take some pictures for this site ).

After pulling me out, it's time now to go down the dune.

Did it . Incredible, unbelievable. Malarrimo Enduro is for beginners. This is the real stuff .

Continuing the journey towards the camping site.

The inland sea.

Overlooking the camping site.

Ready to go down?

Going, going, gone. Is that steep or not.

Now for the XC.

I had to climb back on the top of the dune to get a picture of the camp.

We had a great swim.

Anymore proof that the XC can go anywhere? Check this out.

On the way back, I got stuck again. Here again it was entirely my fault as I went up on the wrong side of the dune.

I'm actually standing and looking at the car. Almost 90 Degree inclination.

Had to reverse the car all the way back in order to go over the dune again.

Mission accomplished. Time to head back.

I have posted more pictures in the photos section. Check them out.
    Last edited by coastal; 12-08-2005 at 09:16 AM.
    Dani K.
    06 XC Lava Sand (Four-C, DSTC, Oak Leather, Booster Seats, HU-850, Front and Rear Skid Plates, Wooden Steering Wheel, Power Child Lock, Foldable Side Mirrors, Rear Parking Sensors, Roof Spoiler, Side Scuff Plates)
    05 Mercedes ML 350 Special Edition

Fantastic story!!!
    And, the XC70 looks much better than the other cars, is much more comfortable, and can go much faster...

Thanks for sharing!

Default I'm glad you liked it

vtie you are absolutely right about the comfortable ride. I have done this trip several times in different cars (Toyota Landcruiser, Nissan Pathfinder, Mitsubishi Pajero...). I can tell you that with such cars my head was bumping on the roof all the way to the inland sea. But with the XC70 it is a different story. It is like riding in a Rolls.

You should have seen the look on everyone's face when they saw the XC70 there. They could not believe that this car is capable of such things.
    Dani K.
    06 XC Lava Sand (Four-C, DSTC, Oak Leather, Booster Seats, HU-850, Front and Rear Skid Plates, Wooden Steering Wheel, Power Child Lock, Foldable Side Mirrors, Rear Parking Sensors, Roof Spoiler, Side Scuff Plates)

Thumbs up

This is madness! Are you mad? Are you taking any passengers? WOW! What a rush that must have been, I mean I still park out in left field in the parking lots b/c I don't want anything to happen to her....and my XC is over 4 years old! Your's is new and you're pushing her to limits I'll bet Volvo hasn't! You should send them your pics.

Thanks for the great desktop pics!
    '01 V70XC/Silver/Graphite Leather, Nokian WRs
    '09 XC70/Ice White/Sandstone Leather,VCOA

Great photos!! I enjoyed every single one of them.
    And sounds like a great time too.

I'm already looking forward to your next offroad expedition.
    2002 V70XC w/volvoXC.com stickers! MTE Stage 3+

Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

Awesome photos Dani K!! Truly spectacular shots of the dunes!

Reminds me of some scenes taken right out of the Paris-Dakar rally.

Thumbs up amazing

Really impressive! What tires do you use? The STRs or something with a more aggresive tread?
    2008 V70 2.4 Classic Sports Edition

Very nice!! Now, don't forget to re-inflate the tires!!
    '05 XC70 Crystal Green - DSTC - 6CD Changer - Rear Park Assist - Third Row - Integrated Booster - Nokian WR - Thule Evolution 1600 on Wing Profile. Photos of XC70: http://sys-2005volvoxc70.blogspot.com/ Travel Photos: http://my-traveling-photolog.blogspot.com/

Default Fantastico

Dany,
    Very impressive pics. My question is did you climb up the same highest dune
    in order to go home or did you guys take an other trail to avoid climbing up dunes. Anyway I am glad I bought the same car.

Thanks for the pics

I'm very happy you liked the pictures. Yes this was a great adventure and I can still feel the thrills. In particular when you are going down that dune, (and no we did not go up the dune on the way back, we used another road, but I know that and I have seen some cars doing it).
    And yes I inflated the tires once back on the road, no worries .
    The tires I use are the same tires that came with the car. I did not change a thing. The car has almost 2200 Kms now, and you know where I drove most of them .

I remember the debate we had at the beginning of the trip when we where deflating the tires. Everyone thought I was going to park the car and go in someone else's car. I guess I proved them wrong. Volvo should be so proud that they build a car like that.

I had people asking me if the XC90 could do it, being heavier. I believe that if the XC70 could do it, the XC90 surely can.
    Dani K.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast