Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by Astro14 View Post
    I don't like replacing things that aren't broke yet...

Coils aren't (or shouldn't be) a maintenance item, like a T belt, or oil...I replaced one on the T5 about 2 years ago...no misfire or issues on the other 4 since then...
    if it is over 150,000 miles, it might be a good idea to do some preventive maintenance. I did by replacing the remainin 4 good ones with IPD HD coils 1 month after replacing #3 which was misfiring.

2000 Silver V70 XC SE - 153,000 miles and counting...
    Mostly stock - IPD HD TCV - IPD HD coils

Quote Originally Posted by Xilikon View Post
    if it is over 150,000 miles, it might be a good idea to do some preventive maintenance. I did by replacing the remainin 4 good ones with IPD HD coils 1 month after replacing #3 which was misfiring.
    That's dumping good money down a hole for me. This is an 11 year old boat, with a great motor, but everything is getting tired. The wiring is all crumbling, the thing is HEAVY, and eats tires, suspensions, and brakes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner! The CD player is broken, and the tranny is a P.O.S.. The sunroof is not working right, and the electrical system is getting gremlins. Plus, it is a gas pig, getting worse mileage than my neighbor's 300+ HP Chevy 2500HD pickup!

I would put tinfoil in there if it worked, and got me to the dealer for a trade-in, but this country is so broke, and so am I, so I can't afford but to keep it limping along.

Well, I checked the codes. The first was:
    PO422
    Type: Powertrain
    ECU: 11
    Description: Main Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold

Then I noticed the second, which was:
    PO303
    Type: Powertrain
    ECU: 11
    Description: Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected

So, it SOUNDS like it could be a coil, or some other reason cylinder 3 is misfiring. Besides switching coils, anything else to check? What is the deal with the catalyst? Is that just a by-product of the other condition? Will it go away after correcting the coil (or whatever it may be)?

Thank you all so much for your assistance. If it is not raining tomorrow, I will go try the switch first thing in the morning, and maybe just get one over at Autozone so it is over and done with.

Edit to add:
    I just noticed the mileage and dates on some of the earlier posts. I guess mine going at over 100,000 mile is not as unusual as I might have guessed it would be. Maybe I'll order a second one just in case since they are on sale right now.

'Squatch - the misfire is likely causing the CAT code as the cat has to deal with the extra unburned fuel...

I would change the coil - clear the codes and see how it runs...
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Quote Originally Posted by Kitheme View Post
    Finally got the chance to swap coil #4 (replaced less than 1k mi. ago, a month before I purchased the car) with #5 (looked original, and very loose fitting) and voila; got code P0304. Definitely need to replace it.

Was about to order the coil from ipd when I noticed on the Advance Auto Parts website that a Volvo owner in my area had purchased one of their no-name aftermarket coils. When they opened the box, out popped a Volvo OEM part. The person said they bought two more from a different Advance and found Volvo-stamped OEM parts again. So I wandered down to Advance tonight and, sure enough, the supposed off-brand part is a Volvo OEM, $25 less than the dealer's price. From what I was told, this particular company (BWD/Intermotor) often purchases parts wholesale from other manufacturers.

Will swap the coil out tomorrow and move on to the next fix!
    Just picked one up at Advance now. It is an Intermotor, and their web site says "BWD/Intermotor Ignition Coil". It doesn't say VOLVO anywhere on it, and it is made in China. I think it came to $58 after tax, which is less than FCP or IPD after shipping, plus I can fix it this weekend rather than waiting until it arrives during the week. I will try the swap trick first, to make sure that is indeed the problem, in case it isn't so I can get refunded on the return.

Thanks.

Check the coil wiring loom and earthing is sound heat kills these electrical items and 3 is right in the middle so really suffers with heat.
    MY01 Ocean Race XC70 Blue/Silver

Not a fan of Chinese electrical parts - if the coil works, great, but...

In the future, a Bosch from FCP Euro would be my first choice.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345