Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

Red face Voyage To Vulcan Aboard the XC

Okay, so it’s not what I quite expected. Still, it was an interesting journey to the small farming hamlet of Vulcan (pop. 1762 humans) and a place that I just had to see for myself. Naturally, my launch vehicle of choice was the XC.

Docking with the Starship

Starship Specs
    I can only assume that the town was not permitted to use the ‘Enterprise’ moniker due to trademark infringement.

The Vulcan High Command Center

...otherwise known as the...

The Inner Sanctum

While in Vulcan, don’t forget to chow down at the local Eatery. There’s also fine dining in the center of town at Worf’s Restaurant.

Found an anomaly in your stellar hard drive? There’s nothing that Starfleet Engineering can’t handle.

Okay, now things are getting a bit freaky.

Time to set a course for home. Live Long and Prosper.

Related Trivia:
    The Vulcan starship location was recently featured in a Ford of Alberta Television commercial.
    Coincidentally, Volvo names all of its alloy wheels after celestial orbs/ moons in the solar system.

You can find more information on the Town of Vulcan here.

Default Art has a new kind of roof carrier

Art:

Great post - I like your new roof top carrier.
    Regards -- Barry Sharp
    ==============
    Current: MY2012 XC70 T6/Twi Bronze/Espresso Brown/Polestar/Platinum/BLIS/Tech/ABL/Scuff Plates/Front&Rear cameras
    Traded 2011 C30 R-Design
    Son's '01 S60 2.3L T5,Maya Gold,96Kmi
    Son's '03 XC70 Platinum Green (OSD)
    Daughter#1 2011 XC60
    Daughter#2 2010 XC90
    SOLD '86 745 GLE 6-Cyl-Turbo Diesel,Graphite,255Kmi
    SOLD '03 XC70 to my son
    SOLD '03 XC70, '04 S60R, '07 S60R

Canada: Calgary Alberta - Panorama Mountain BC - Pender Island BC

So Art, what can you feature on Red Deer, Alberta (for the unitiated, that's Art's home base)?

Drove by your neck of the woods a few weeks ago bound for Edmonton. The seats are so comfy in my Volvo, that I opted for the 3 hour drive instead of hopping another plane.
    John
    '04 XC70 Canadian Premium and Sport packages, Black (425,000 kms)
    '06 XC70 Ocean Race Model, IPD to 240 hp, 18" rims, Deep Blue
    Other rigs: '06 Toyota Avalon, '15 Jeep Grand Cherokee, '23 BMW330e (Plug-In-Hybrid)

Default Time to move

Maybe an 'Off Topic' trip rather than a XC70 trip. Will it morph itself to another area or not....the answer is out there....

Quote Originally Posted by Barrysharp
    Art:

Great post - I like your new roof top carrier.
    Me too...although it’s a shame it exceeds the allotted weight carrying capacity for the XC’s load bars...LOL! Was thinking of buying a 1:43 souvenir scale model and using it as a hood ornament.

Quote Originally Posted by John@CdnRockies
    So Art, what can you feature on Red Deer, Alberta (for the unitiated, that's Art's home base)?

Drove by your neck of the woods a few weeks ago bound for Edmonton. The seats are so comfy in my Volvo, that I opted for the 3 hour drive instead of hopping another plane.
    John
    Truly don’t mean to disparage my own home town but Red Deer is pretty bland John. Likely the reason why many choose to drive through instead of stopping. Sometimes we just feel the need to head out and explore just to get our fix and the Volvo is a great vehicle to do it in, regardless of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by AWD*V70XC
    Maybe an 'Off Topic' trip rather than a XC70 trip. Will it morph itself to another area or not....the answer is out there....
    It wasn't my intention to turn this thread into a tourism travelogue. One of the reasons for posting was to add a bit of levity relative to the forum. Sometimes we get caught up in analysing the complexities of the car and forget about the simple pleasures of driving it. I was also hoping that this would encourage others to diarize similar travel experiences in their own XCs. I’m also certain that John didn’t mean for any digression on his part.

With that said, Taylor has my blessing to move this to OT. Sorry for the rant.
    Last edited by Art; 10-29-2005 at 03:13 PM.

Thumbs up Arts Excellent Journey

Art,

This post is what volvoXC is all about. The love we have for our cars and the fun they can provide us. Sometimes everyone gets too caught up in what is or can go wrong and forgets how much fun we can have in our XCs. I, for one, really enjoyed your post.

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us.
    -Steve
    '03 XC70 Silver, Graphite -Premium Package - Touring Package - VCOA
    '97 Jeep Cherokee Sport
    '78 Ford F250

Techically I guess it would be considered to be OT, but I agree with Art and XCS's sentiment in that this thread definitely needs to stick around these parts... It'd be cool is to see some similar daytrip threads posted from other areas around the world too.

That's actually one of my favorite things about this site, seeing the photos of the same car in so many different places and situations all over the World!

Thanks for posting Art
    01 V70XC/Silver/Graphite/Touring & Versatility Packs/No Mods
    Servoweb Technologies developers of web stuff...
    Paddle Surf Canada
    CanSkier.com Skier Community

Talking Re: kahr-y-tan

Quote Originally Posted by Art
    You can find more information on the Town of Vulcan here.
    Funny site, especially the "Vulcan is conveniently located 120 Km South-East of Calgary and 100 Km North-west of Lethbridge on Highway 23." Convenient to what??? Thought you might appreciate my special Volvo remote...

'04 XC90 2.5T, ~170K miles, ash gold/graphite, 7-seater, towing, nav
    "Objects in the mirror may be just as they appear." - Steve Forbert

Techically I guess it would be considered to be OT, but I agree with Art and XCS's sentiment in that this thread definitely needs to stick around these parts... It'd be cool is to see some similar daytrip threads posted from other areas around the world too.

That's actually one of my favorite things about this site, seeing the photos of the same car in so many different places and situations all over the World!

Thanks for posting Art
    Thanks guys. I wouldn’t have objected if this thread was banished to the OT bin. AWD does raise a valid point as threads do, on occasion, have a tendency to stray off course leaving the reader bewildered as to its true path.

Funny site, especially the "Vulcan is conveniently located 120 Km South-East of Calgary and 100 Km North-west of Lethbridge on Highway 23." Convenient to what???
    I believe the last photo in the set backs up your statement Big. Kidding aside, it appears that the town folk are quite sincere in trying to put Vulcan on the proverbial map. Gotta give them full marks for being so creative and bold.

Thought you might appreciate my special Volvo remote...
    Cool....didn’t see any of those at the center. Does it require a VADIS download to operate or do you just set it to stun?
    Last edited by Art; 10-30-2005 at 01:00 AM.

Lightbulb

OK, as it has Coastal's blessing I will put up with it under one condition Art, you will have to go to Drumheller (if my memory serves me right) and get some wonder shots of your XC amongst the Hoodoo's. I think those 'pillars' are one of nature's strangest sites. With the right light, position and placement of the XC it could appear the place is somewhere off this Planet. Please.
    Last edited by AWD*V70XC; 10-30-2005 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Change of venue

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast