Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Squeaks Everywhere

I have squeaks and rattles everywhere. I understand there is going to be some amount of flex and play when I go over speed bumps and what not. But I am looking for solutions to three major issues that are keeping me from having the perfect car I always wanted, and have no problem paying for.

1. The buzz in every single door panel caused by bass or talk radio played over the speakers. I think it is the faux wood paneling. I have heard suggestions, but no one has offered a sure fire solution. I want to know what I am getting into before I tear into the panels. Any suggestions are welcome, but those with proven results would be appreciated.
    2. My door panel on the passenger side front door: I push on the inner portion (the leather part) and it has play of more than 3/4 of an inch. I donít understand. It is starting to rattle just with the slight vibration of the engine. I want to get it fixed but donít know where to start. The driverís side door appears to be one solid piece, and the passenger, three solid pieces of crap stuck together. Maybe there are clips that I donít have connected? Has anyone seen this? In the top corner I can push it in almost a full inch.
    3. The glove box: It doesnít seem to close all the way. It slopes open towards the drivers side. Is there a second clip that isnít engaging? Is this just from wear and tear? It isnít falling open, you can only tell when it bounces as I drive. Let me know if anyone has seen anything like this.

I love this board and the knowledge and experience that it represents. It has helped a ton with my Volvo experience so far. I donít know if I ever want to own a car without this support system ever again. Thanks everyone, and I look forward to hearing suggestions on this one.

Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

Jim,

If youíve isolated the culprit Ďbuzzí to the wood inlays, my guess would be that the toothed lock washers that hold the inlays in place have started to lose their bite. It only takes me minutes to remove each door panel and push each washer down the plastic posts which they sit on.

With regards to the issue of the passenger door panel, my understanding is that there was a TSB to fix the problem. It involves applying hot adhesive to the loose door panel insert. Have you checked the outer perimeter around the door panel to make sure all of the plastic push clips are solidly in place? Without seeing the door panel, itís hard to make sound judgement.

My own sagging glove box was repaired by the dealer and a new frame and hinge pin were also covered by warranty.

I suggest you to visit a good dealer, it's easy and fast to fix your problems. If you want to do it on your own, I should send some pictures from the VADIS CD.
    My04 XC70 ocean blue, 2.5T petrol, AWD, manual, DSTC, Nokian WR

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info.
    Art- Is it true that all I have to do is push the washers back in place? If so how long will the fix last? Is there something that I should apply to the washers to help them stay? And as far as the door panel; you can see where there used to be adhesive. There is a green tint around the portion that can be pushed in, when viewing it with the panel off. This leads me to my next questions.
    1. What is a TSM?
    2. I recieved no paperwork with my used car. It is a 2001 XC with 65,000 miles. Am I still under warrant?
    3. Can my shop seperate from the dealer carry out work under a TSM?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimwashington
    Thanks for the info.
    Art- Is it true that all I have to do is push the washers back in place? If so how long will the fix last? Is there something that I should apply to the washers to help them stay? And as far as the door panel; you can see where there used to be adhesive. There is a green tint around the portion that can be pushed in, when viewing it with the panel off. This leads me to my next questions.
    1. What is a TSM?
    2. I recieved no paperwork with my used car. It is a 2001 XC with 65,000 miles. Am I still under warrant?
    3. Can my shop seperate from the dealer carry out work under a TSM?

1) TSB = Technical Service Bulletin. This is not quite a recall, but if a customer comes in with said problem, there is a free(usually) fix for it. Depending on the type of problem, it may still be covered for free outside of warrantee. It just depends. TSB's are not pro-active like recalls, as they aren't considered as serious.

2) The standard warantee is 5yr/50kmiles. So unless the previous owner had a transferrable extended warantee, I would say you no longer have any warantee coverage.

3) Authorized dealers(any manufacturer) *usually* only have access to TSBs through their systems. However, some non dealer shops may have that info and be able to fix the problem. I doubt however that a non-dealer shop would have the ability to provide any TSB fix for free, even if the TSB would have typically been a free fix at the dealer. It would just depend on if the shop in question can submit warantee claims to Volvo and have them honored.

...and as far as the washers.... I've not seen these particular washers/nuts, but if they are the typical friction based ones then simply "yes" you just push them back on/down the plastic pin. However, if they are bent or the pin is already worn such that the washers/nuts do not grip anymore, then you'll have to use some sort of smaller diameter washer/nut and perhaps some adhesive to keep them in place.

I used to have these type of clips/plastic-nuts wear out all the time on 1970-80s GM trim pieces, and sometimes you just had to improvise once the plastic pin was "stripped out" and the nut no longer grabbed.

You can also try bending/squeezing the nut/washer to tighten the hole a bit if indeed it is not too loose.

Again though, this is just speculation on my part as I haven't seen these particular nuts/washers.

al
    Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 10-26-2005 at 11:34 AM.

Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

Jim,

I presume one could apply a few dabs of hot glue to the lock washers to hold them down once theyíre in place. Replacing them with new ones would also work.

Below is a photo of the my driver side door panel. The passenger side should look the same. I canít sense any play in the section of the panel that you speak of so Iím kind of at a loss for words. Is it possible that the previous owner attempted a quick fix? I can send you the TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) that I referred to earlier in PDF if you wish.

Unfortunately, claims for TSBís can only be submitted under the new car warranty whenever there is a documented customer complaint. You may wish to check with a dealer to see if they would make an exception in your case.

Quote Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger
    1) TSB = Technical Service Bulletin. This is not quite a recall, but if a customer comes in with said problem, there is a free(usually) fix for it. Depending on the type of problem, it may still be covered for free outside of warrantee. It just depends. TSB's are not pro-active like recalls, as they aren't considered as serious.
    al

The TSB is just Volvo speak for "silent recall" in that it only is a "known issue" if you complain about it enough or prove to them that you know its an issue.

The owner walks away and feels satisfied since it was fixed under warranty and Volvo doesnt have to worry about getting thousands of people coming in for a fix they might never encounter.

I had probelm with a weird moaning/groan from the rear underside of the car when driving through slush. I went to my dealership and all they said was they'e never heard of this ebfore and asked me if I coudl reproduce it. Unfortunately the slush had melted ny then.

After doind a little searching and thanks to this site I found out about the issue. When I went back the second time and I told them this and then they suddenly were able to verify the issue as a TSB!

You could try "silent recalls xc70" or known issues with xc70" on the web.
    Good luck

George

George

Question A car this expensive shouldn't squeak/rattle. Do the late models still do so?

BTW, reading some of the early posts 2001-2002ish, there seemed to be a consensus of disapproval regarding rattles and squeaks.

I drove a 2004 the other day, with about 20k miles, and it was silent as a tomb... or close

Random squeaks/rattles are a pet-peeve of mine, so my question is: Have the XC70s gotten better 2003+ with regard to fit/finish such that squeaks/rattles are at least on-par with other vehicles in this class?

al

Default No TSB on the door panel

They said it is going to cost me $180 to remove the passenger side door panel and apply the adhesive to it. No wonder it wasn't done before. Kind of pricey. Oh well, I will have to think about it for a couple of days. I will attack the wood inlays after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimwashington
    They said it is going to cost me $180 to remove the passenger side door panel and apply the adhesive to it. No wonder it wasn't done before. Kind of pricey. Oh well, I will have to think about it for a couple of days. I will attack the wood inlays after that.

Any reason why you can't do this yourself?

Certainly it is your own prerogative and priority set with regard to time/effort, but I don't think removing a door panel and applying some adhesive is worth ~$200

I haven't removed a panel on a Volvo yet, but have done so on many many vehicles. Sometimes the first time is a bit of a learning curve, but subsequent removals were usually a 10 minute affair. But I do think that there are several instructions here if so inclined

al

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast