Default '05 vs. '06 EPA MPG Ratings

Just noticed that the US EPA mileage ratings for the XC70 improved from 18/24 to 19/26 between the 2005 and 2006 model year vehicles. As far as I know the only difference is the "instant traction" Haldex unit. Could this be responsible for the increase? Anyone have enough experience with before and after models to be able to comment?
    Last edited by Jack; 10-22-2005 at 09:42 AM.

No experience comparing the two, but I consistently get 24mpg each tank on ours (with free rolling WR tires). I think that's amazing for an AWD car of it's size and capability, plus it's reasonably quick. Our Subaru and previous Infiniti I30 were good for only 20mpg.
    '04 XC70, Ice White, Taupe. Original owner (196K miles as of may21). 6 wheel bearings, broken ignition switch, broken turbo downtube flange, failed throttle body, many warped rotors, and a myriad of weird crap. Still my favorite car ever.

I spotted that difference a while ago in the brochures, and asked my dealer about it. The answer was that they slightly changed the measuring conditions. Previously, the mileage and performance was measured with a partially loaded loaded car, now they measure it with an almost empty tank, a single driver, etc... I don't know if that is the real reason, but that is what they told me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack
    Just noticed that the US EPA mileage ratings for the XC70 improved from 18/24 to 19/26 between the 2005 and 2006 model year vehicles. As far as I know the only difference is the "instant traction" Haldex unit. Could this be responsible for the increase? Anyone have enough experience with before and after models to be able to comment?
    Interesting.
    On our 05 we get 17 city and 26 highway.
    The instant traction shouldn't make a difference. That just preloads torque to the rear wheels. There haven't been any aero changes, so something may have been done with the engine, though I don't recall any mention of it.

2005 XC70 Barents Blue & Taupe leather, deliv. 12/04, built 11/04
    Prem / Conv / Climate / DSTC / NAV / 650 / Sirius / 60/40 / 3rd Row / Boosters / Thule / Weathertech mats / Mud Flaps / 46% Tint / Nokian WR SUVs

serviced by Red Bank Volvo, NJ & Volvo Westport, CT
    2001 V70XC~someone else's problem vehicle now
    VolvoClub ofAmerica