Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Nokian WR for XC70 - what size is best?

Suddenly, it seems, Nokian WRs are all the rage - my brother is getting them for his Passat wagon in the Catskills of New York state. My wife doesn't like the slippery feeling she gets with the Scorpions. She wants Nokian WRs now!

But - what size is best? Gibbons says 230/60/16 but why (smoother ride?)

Why not standard 215/65/16? Will the dealer care?

I want what is best for my family, and I know nothing about today's tires and cars - one reason this forum is so great for XC70 owners.

Should I talk to the dealer about what to put on in order to not void warranty (I will not go to another dealer), or just get the 230/65/16?

Will I be sorry to put on 215/65/16?

Thanks for any help.

Gibbons recommends Nokian WR 235/60-16. 215 seemed to be noisy for him. I'm totally satisfied with my 235/60.
    Last edited by XC70Geo; 10-08-2005 at 01:33 PM.
    My04 XC70 ocean blue, 2.5T petrol, AWD, manual, DSTC, Nokian WR

Thanks for the feedback - 235/60/16, eh?

By the way, wish we had manual transmission and DSTC here in the states. You must enjoy your car very much!

Anybody else have the 215/65/16 Nokian WRs? Any problems? How do you like them?

Our dealer won't honor the warranty for the all-wheel drive if any size tire other than the 215/65/16 is mounted.

We want to stay with this dealer and so will get the tires in the size they approve, unless the Nokian WRs are just awful in the stock size.

Hopefully, we can get someone to tell us their experience with them. Thanks.

Canada: Calgary Alberta - Ottawa Ontario - Pender Island BC

Psychwarlord, why would a marginally larger stock size affect the warranty? That doesn't make any sense if you are replacing all 4 tires. Seems to me that the "normal" rate of under-inflation (even with diligence I always seem to have a couple of pounds difference) in a tire would have more of an offset affect.

I'm intrigued as we have ordered the larger Nokian's and will be installing them two weekends from now.

John
    '04 XC70 Canadian Premium and Sport packages, Black
    '06 XC70 Ocean Race Model, IPD to 240 hp, 18" rims, Deep Blue
    Other rigs: '06 Toyota Avalon, '15 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Hi John

I understand your position - I'm not the one to be convinced - I would get the same tires you are getting but I don't want to have any warranty problems. I just got off the phone with a service tech from my dealer who tells me the tire size can't be changed.

I need to speak to the service manager to get the definitive answer, but he just went home sick (his sick kids infected him, the pleasant receptionist informs me) minutes before I called and now I will wait for his answer.

I'm not in any hurry, but are there any other tires with this weird size issue?

Are there really people out there who have the time to play with brands and tire sizes until the optimum solution is found? I am spending a lot of time as it is trying to get info on the miracle of the internet!

From the tire charts I've seen, I get the impression that there's no more difference in diameter between a 215/65/16 and 235/60/16 than there is between a new and well worn 215/65/16. It is generally 27" vs. 27.1" on a tire with 12/32" (0.375") of tread.

For that matter, last time I looked Nokian didn't list a 215/65/16 for the WR, though they don't seem to pay much attention to their US web site. They currently list a 215/65/15 becoming available in the Fall of 2004!

btw Psychwarlord, do you have the Haldex or viscous coupling?

Haldex (2004 XC)
    2004 XC70 Ice White/Taupe

The Hakka Rsi is the best I ever have tried, had the Nokian before, but they cannot stand up against the Rsi !
    Got a 03 XC70 D5 :-)))

Below is a list of the different tire sizes on Volvo's other AWD vehicles. I assume that the AWD system is the same on all of them, save maybe the precharged part on the XC's. Either way, it seems a variety of tire/wheel sizes are available stock from the factory on the same AWD system, so why would the XC70 have the warranty voided if the tires were a bit bigger? Seems it is the standard 'NO' you get from people that either don't think, don't want to bother with it, or both.

I recall Gibbons had some good arguments against the dealer's stock 'NO'. You may want to search for them. Good luck, I am looking at a set of 4 as well. What prices -installed- are people seeing? I was quoted $720 for tires, install and disposal.

From Volvo's Website
    S60 AWD
    235/45/R17
    235/45/VR17
    205/55/R16

S60R
    235/45/ZR17
    235/40/ZR18

V70R
    235/45/ZR17

XC90
    235/65/R17