Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Desertxc
    But then again politics is all about the money.
    ... and a$$holes.

That phone# for Susan Campbell at Volvo Customer Care works. That poor dear got an earfull, everyone should express their opinions about Volvos Egregious, and dangerous, ETM designs.
    Ex-C70 owner
    ---------------
    VEXED

stevewa Guest

I thought about this fiasco when Lee Cordner posted that letter in Rolling a few months ago defending the reliability of Volvos. Indeed!

Default Volvo Recall

Hello,

Just wanted to let you know that it seems like something is in the works regarding a recall concerning the EFT.

I found an article on a Swedish news site highlighting the issue and the projected cost of taking care of it. As far as I can tell, nothing has been officially announced, but may be in the works.

the article can be found at:
    http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/bil/st...640839,00.html
    (it's in Swedish, btw)

Thanks,
    Sam
    98' V70 XC Black

Alright, here's my dilemma. It's now verified that my ETM is bad. I come to find out that is was cleaned, free of charge at ~43,000 miles - thanks for looking out for me Volvo.

Anyway, I can get my hands on the part pretty cheap and was contemplating doing the work myself. Now that a recall looks likely(?), is it worth doing it myself? Will I lose all benefit of the recall?

I would like some opinions.

Thanks,
    Joel

Unsure when the extended warranty is going to go into affect. You might contact the dealer garage and inquire. If they are aware of it, OR IF YOU COMPLAIN LOUD ENOUGH, they might repair it for free now.

That is what the "Secret warranty" Class-action lawsuit is about, customers who insist on a "documented customer complaint".

I suppose you could buy the part and install it, but then they have to program it, so in the end, you only save $216 in labor. Perhaps not worth the time, trouble, uncertainty?

Pretty neat how they do a TB Cleaning just to get you beyond the mfgr. Warranty.
    Ex-C70 owner
    ---------------
    VEXED

First of all, thank you Don for all the great work you have done on this topic.

The story of my Volvo is the following. 2003 I bough a 1999 V70 T (190hp) from a person in Germany with 140,000km. I brough the car back to Finland. Almost immediately after the purchase I noticed the unstable idle. I talked about it with the Volvo dealer in Helsinki, Finland but as they did not find any code and the idle was not a major problem, I let it go.

This fall (with 165,000km or 100,000 miles) the car started having problems when I started it. Initially the engine stopped after I had turned the ignition on and started the engine. When I tried it again, the engine started working ok. This winter starting the car started getting worse. Not only that I had to restart the car three times but always after the third try the engine would not start anymore.

The precise description what happens during the faulty start-up is the following. I turn on the ignition key, the starter motor works ok and the engine starts. The rpm jumps immediately to 2500-3000 just to come down as quickly as it went up there. When coming down the rpm sometimes stops between 500-1500 and oscillates pretty heavily between those numbers until it finally settles to a customary 800-900 range. Other times, which are becoming more frequent, the rpm comes down like hitting a wall and the engine stops. After three unsuccessful attempts the engine won't start anymore. That number three is pretty exact. No two or four. After the third attempt and engine won't start anymore. Start motor of course works fine. But the engine itself won't start. Looks like too much gas got into the cylinder and subsequently the spark plugs got wet. After waiting anywhere from 10-30min in a car, the car started like nothing had happened before.

This problem has become progressively worse. Last week the car also started turning the ETS light on. Right now we cannot anymore rely on the car as it won't start even when the engine is cold. Oh yeah, forgot to mention that especially during the winter cold starting the car seemed to work ok. But if I restarted it after the car had been shut down for anywhere from 10-60 minutes starting the car failed as I described above. Now that the outdoor temperature has become warmer even the cold start won't work anymore. Of course, this may have nothing to do with the temperature. The outdoor temperature may just coincidently correlate with the progression of this failure.

Funnily enough, not that many people in Finland have reported this problem. I have posted a similar message on few local Volvo forums without receiving any response. According to Volvo this problem has not surfaced neither in Sweden. Perhaps cars sent to America and rest of the Europe were installed with the Marelli part, cars sold in Scandinavia on the other hand with the Bosch part. Just a wild guess.

My understanding is that the Bosch part is somewhat more reliable, but since it is the same thin-film Poly Rheostat design, it is doomed to premature failure, especially in the warmer climates.

The primary reasons the ETMs fail more in the USA, is:

1) Out of 500,000 vehicles (worldwide) with this ETM design, ~240,000 were sold in the USA. We have more of them, we see it more.

2) The thin-film Poly Rheostat is a conductive carbon compound imbedded in a resin coating. Metal wipers (fingers) rub back and forth on this resistive resin coating many times per second, scrubbing small amounts of the material off with each pass. In the warmer climates of the USA, especially Calif and Texas and the south, the impregnated resin coating becomes soft and more pliable, more susceptable to erosion by the metallic fingers of the wiper. Apparently in the northern climate, this resin is cooler and more durable, that is why they don't see many failures in the homeland.

When mine failed, I was able to "limp" home. It never started again, until I had it towed to the "big" city for a $1000 repair.
    Ex-C70 owner
    ---------------
    VEXED

Default Bosch and Magneti Marelli ETMs are not interchangeable

Quote Originally Posted by gorby
    Perhaps cars sent to America and rest of the Europe were installed with the Marelli part, cars sold in Scandinavia on the other hand with the Bosch part. Just a wild guess.
    The Bosch and Magneti Marelli parts are different. The Magneti Marelli ETM was installed on 1999-2001 model year cars. The Bosch ETM was used on 2002-and-newer cars. They have different wiring harnesses and connections, and are thus not interchangeable.
    1999 XC70 Nautical blue/taupe, Cannondale Spica wheels, ipd skid plate (weekends)
    1991 Alfa Romeo 164S (daily driver)
    1967 Ford Mustang coupe (show car)
    ...and several other Italians ... (for fun)

Default One word - Documentation

Quote Originally Posted by ncst8wuf
    Alright, here's my dilemma. It's now verified that my ETM is bad. I come to find out that is was cleaned, free of charge at ~43,000 miles - thanks for looking out for me Volvo.

Anyway, I can get my hands on the part pretty cheap and was contemplating doing the work myself. Now that a recall looks likely(?), is it worth doing it myself? Will I lose all benefit of the recall?

I would like some opinions.

Thanks,
    Joel
    Joel,
    One word - documentation! Do you have any written evidence of the cleaning at 43K miles? Perhaps a service record or similar document. Get it, and keep it secure.

As for the part, I see two options: (1) get your car running with a new ETM; or (2) wait until the recall/warranty/legal battle with Volvo is resolved, parking your car until there is an answer from Volvo. [Of course, the timespan for this second option might be measured in years!]

If you want to go out of pocket for the repair, then getting the part cheap and doing repair yourself might be the cheapest route. If there is a retrospective recall, you are unlikely to be reimbursed for your labor. I have only once been reimbursed for my installation of a faulty supension part that the vendor knew was defective. Usually the conditions begin with the statement "Installation by a 'qualified' mechanic..."

You might also try going to your local dealer with printouts of these posts, and ask them to cut you a deal. Regardless, get everything in writing, including repair estimates and work orders. If/when a recall effort is performed by Volvo, you will have your best chance at reimbursement from Volvo, although likely in the form of discounts or vouchers for additional parts or service. Just remember that until there is a written notice of the terms and conditions of a recall, nothing is guaranteed. Caveat emptor.

My $.02.
    1999 XC70 Nautical blue/taupe, Cannondale Spica wheels, ipd skid plate (weekends)
    1991 Alfa Romeo 164S (daily driver)
    1967 Ford Mustang coupe (show car)
    ...and several other Italians ... (for fun)

Default Troubleshooter.com

Sent thread info to troubleshooter.com., a nationally syndicated radio show helping consumers and business work out their troubles. I know that sometimes they encourage all their listeners to call the offending business to encourage correction. I can't imagine that a little bit more pressure would hurt our effort.