Default xc90 aftermarket subwoofer

I have a 2004 xc90 t6 with the 3rd row seat and premium pkg. I want to install a subwoofer in the vehicle since the factory one was deleted due to the 3rd row seat. I know that it cannot go where the factory one would but I was wondering if anyone had installed an external box one, if the vehicle is prewired for it and where the wires can be found.

I read a posting in which someone had indicated that it was prewired but I cannot remmeber where I read it at Every stereo shop i visited wants to pull the dash apart and dealer service dept is useless in this regard.

Thanks
    John

Default Re: subwoofer

Here's a link on how to DIY. Looks a tad bit complicated but not too bad if you like projects.
    '04 XC90 2.5T, ~170K miles, ash gold/graphite, 7-seater, towing, nav
    "Objects in the mirror may be just as they appear." - Steve Forbert

Default sub install

I am in the process of doing the same. Did it to my previous 03xc70 this way and I expect to do the same in my 90.

I took power and ground directly from the battery with fuse inline at battery.
    In spare tire area closest to the rear bumper there is a large wire harness running more or less from the L and R tail light areas. Within this haness there are grey and grey with white line wires twisted together. one pair for each of the rear speakers. I tapped these for L and R inputs and extend to the woofer through 4 pin connector for easy removal.
    Used 8" woofer box I purchased on Ebay. Bosch dual voice coil woofer. Dual VC speakers are not required. Only chose because I have a case of them. Purchased 200w Sony 2 channel amp. I installed amp on tray in spare tire compartment on xc70. Looks tight in XC90 spare area so I may need to get smaller amp. . I am considering mounting amp to speaker box and getting power from rear aux connector if it can provide 20 amps

With this setup you don't need to reprogram the stereo and Amp turns on when it sences audio input.

I initally set bass volume on amp and adjust on the fly with the stereo controls.

Rube Goldberg and I are both on fixed income incase you did not notice.
    North Carolina

Default thanks for the info

Thanks for the info . The stereo shop was very impresssed with details . I am having the sub installed in a few weeks.

Default Subwoofer

Thanks for the post and info, i have the same problem (05 t6 with versatility) and will try to do the same!

Dave

When the dealer activates the subwoofer option in the stereo is there a crossover function that reduces low frequency from getting to the door speakers? Is there a crossover frequency setting in the stereo or just a subwoofer volume control?
    2005 XC90 2.5T AWD
    2004.5 S40 2.4i

That tutorial looks fantastic.

It does require use of the factory amp which appears to have a fiber optic input.

Does anyone know if the Volvo wire harness can be modified for use with an aftermarket amp at all? I would need to have RCA input for the amp instead of fiber.

Originally I was thinking I would wire my Amp to the rear battery and splice in RCA from a rear speaker and pull a remote wire from the amp under the passenger seat. It seemed to be the easiest way to do it, but certainly not the best. I am not sure if the rear battery can/should be used to power the amp.

I would like to do this addon without purchasing new equipment (minimal cost). I don't want to replace my existing sub/amp/cap I used before I got the XC90 (which I love!)

Can anyone comment on other methods they have done as well?

I have found some threads over on SwedeSpeed with some good after-market installs.

I thought I would link them here, maybe they will be helpfull. They have provided me with lots of good info:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=61169 (Very Custom, great info)
    http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=60574 (Alpine IVA-W200)
    http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=53429 (JL Audio CleanSweep)

I decided to have mine installed by local guy. He wired it off speaker wire from amp under the passenger seat. Used the rear battery to power the amp.

He set of the SRS light which cost about 1hr labour for the dealer to diagnose and reset. He took it out of the price of installation for me. I love the sound. Its a 12inch kenwood powered by a 250watt aline v12 The box fits perfectly behind the 3rd row seats.

Sorry to drag this from the dead. There are lots of powered subwoofer enclosures on the market now, and I've had one in a Mustang, but there is just no place to mount it in the Volvo. I was thinking of making a rack to mount it above the existing amp under the passenger (right side) seat. Any ideas for a rack? how much space to I need to leave above the existing amp? looking at the https://smile.amazon.com/Rockville-S...04G89R61DVEKF1