Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Question A/C recharge "How-to"

I was trying to find the A/C recharge instructions. Nothing in the owner's manual that I could see. I take it it is the little 6nm labeled valve on passenger side.

Is this the correct fill location? Seems awful odd to put it way down there, near the belts when you need to run the engine when filling (don't you?), doesn't it?

Any other tips/pointers here?

Anyone else interested in this?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 05-25-2007 at 01:33 PM.

Filling AC systems isn't for the faint at heart. You need the right tools to get it right. If you guess wrong, and put too much refrigerant in, you crack the compressor or cause excessive drag on the motor. I still have 10 cans of R12 (Freon) and would love to top-off my 92 truck. I have the $2 connector hose to add it. However, without the high/low pressure gauges needed to do it right, I am not going to take the chance. I cracked the compressor on an Accord, and by the time I was done, it had cost $$$.

My thoughts..... take it to the dealer or an AC shop.
    '04 XC70, Ice White, Taupe, Premium, Touring, HID, Rear Bash Plate, Subwoofer+PA300, Nokian Hakka 2 235/60-16 + Michelin Primacy 235/55-17.
    Original owner.

I've done so many of those it hurts your head. The can comes with a hose and gauge. I just need to know where the valve is. It is easy peasy, and those things are stronger than you suggest or have experienced as far as I've seen.

Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

The service valve is located under the hood, just to the left at the front of the car. It’s easily identified by the 6nm torque reading label. Volvo strongly suggests the following prior to recharging the A/C system:

NOTE: Refrigerant must only be filled via the service valve (TXV system) on the high pressure (HP) side.

HINT: A specification decal in the engine compartment lists the refrigerant capacity of the air conditioning (A/C) system. (R134a, 2.17 lbs.)

NOTE:

* The most common cause of failed filling on the high pressure side is incorrect vacuum pumping or because the pressure in the filling unit is not high enough, or a combination of these two.
    * The filling unit should preferably have a heating unit for refrigerant. This is so that the pressure in the filling unit is higher than in the system that is to be filled.
    * When filling with refrigerant, compensate for the volume in the filling hoses before closing the filler valve.

I have never had a problem using a $9-12 can from Walmart.

Just start the engine, screw it on, wait until the needle hits the right mark, wait a minute, unscrew, and cold galore!

Again, never had a problem with this before. Is there something unique to the V70XC to be on the lookout? Are the V70XC systems somehow inferior?

Thanks.

P.S. There are 2 valves with the 6nm on them. One is on the side of the engine near the belts/pulleys. The other is up front and looks where a radiator cap would go.

Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

From what I understand, the valve located near the belts/pulleys is a low pressure valve and can be used to pump the refrigerant out. The one at the front with the yellow ‘Refrigerant Under Pressure’ label is a high pressure valve and is the only one to be used for refilling purposes.

Other than that, Here’s Volvo’s procedure for pumping/draining the refrigerant. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Pumping
    CAUTION: Check and if necessary top up with new compressor oil according to Refrigerant, safety regulations before pumping up a vacuum in the climate control system.

* During vacuum pumping, the vacuum pump can be connected to the service valves for both the high pressure (HP) and low pressure (LP) sides
    * Operate the vacuum pump for at least 50 minutes .

NOTE: The vacuum pump (recycling station) must have a final pressure lower than 0.1 mbar .

Vacuum test
    The vacuum must be checked after vacuum pumping.

* The value of the vacuum gauge may only increase by 0.1 - 0.3 mbar during an interval of 4 minutes .

NOTE: The vacuum test is not a substitute for leak tracing.
    Draining

NOTE: The ambient temperature must be above 20̊C when draining the system

When draining refrigerant, the recycling unit can be attached to the service valve for both the high pressure side (HP) and the low pressure side (LP) at the same time. This is the quickest method.

* The engine must be switched off
    * Check the amount of oil (if any) that has run out when draining the refrigerant.

NOTE:

* The recycling unit must be equipped with an oil separator. The oil separator must be of a type that allows the amount of oil in the refrigerant to be measured.
    * Always disconnect the battery lead when working on the climate control system. Disconnect the battery lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Art
    ...The one at the front with the yellow ‘Refrigerant Under Pressure’ label is a high pressure valve and is the only one to be used for refilling purposes.

... Good luck and let us know how you make out.

You were partly correct. The front one is the one to fill it on, but that is the low pressure. You got high and low mixed up.

Well, I went to Autozone and was looking over the choices for cans of refrigerant. The guy there told me which one to get, and I asked which hose/gauge to get. He said don't bother. He then came around the counter with a "real" set and it turns out they do it for you there on the spot. So, $10 later, I am cool as a cucumber. I had a little left over, called my mother in law who came down and he filled her car (our old Jetta) up with the remainder. We ended up using another can in her car, so it was like 7/8 in the 2001 V70XC and 1 1/8 in the 1996 Jetta GL.

$20 later and two cool customers.

Nice!
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 05-26-2007 at 04:14 AM.

Hi --Funny that Volvo would have you fill on the high side...All cans of 134a say MAKE sure to connect to the LOW side---Injury can result if connected to high side.. I have Subaru also--it has the ports clearly marked as low and High--adapter of 134a will only fit on the low side --connector is too small to fit on high side hose...Bye--John

AC still working fine.

The answer to the "How to?" question is to take it to Autozone, where they will do it for you for the price of a $10 can of refrigerant. Heck, buy the kid a Dunkin ice coffee while you are at it.

The Subaru was cooking us, needing $200. In WalMart I found this cool package, consisting of a can of refrigerrant, filling hose, and integrated gauge for $20. I bought it, filled the system according the the gauge, and it works great. I wish I would have something so simple years ago when I cracked the compressor on my Accord by guessing how much to put in.
    '04 XC70, Ice White, Taupe, Premium, Touring, HID, Rear Bash Plate, Subwoofer+PA300, Nokian Hakka 2 235/60-16 + Michelin Primacy 235/55-17.
    Original owner.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast