Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Navigation/GPS sucks.

Had my XC since August. I haven't read much here about the navigation system and I am writing this to recommend against puchasing this over priced option. I traded an MDX with navi. for the XC that happenned to have a navi. option. I couldn't test the XC navi. b/c Volvo mails you the DVD after you take delivery but I thought that they were comparable in function. What I learned was that the Volvo navi. has a very limited functions in general and specifically the "facilities" menu is limited as there is little ability to look up, for example, a specific location such as Macy's or some other store. It only lists shopping centers. This greatly limits the useability of the navi. I used the MDX navi. like a phone book.

The 2005 version in some Japanese cars are further updated by showing more of a 3D view and are voice activated.

Why are the Europeans so far behind on this technology? What a rip.
    2004 XC 70, Black, Graphite, Navi., Xenon and lots of other goodies.

I am very pleased with the navigation system in our car. I like the control on the steering wheel and the remote so people in backseat can use it as well. I also like the position of it (very easy to glance from the road) and how it tucks away neatly.
    2004 Volvo XC70- Prem, Tour, Nav, Xen, tow hitch

Default Re: Navigation sucks

Quote Originally Posted by hunterxc
    ...the Volvo navi. has a very limited functions in general and specifically the "facilities" menu is limited as there is little ability to look up, for example, a specific location such as Macy's or some other store. It only lists shopping centers. This greatly limits the useability of the navi. I used the MDX navi. like a phone book.

The 2005 version in some Japanese cars are further updated by showing more of a 3D view and are voice activated.

Why are the Europeans so far behind on this technology? What a rip.
    Calm down, it's not that bad. Besides, it's made by Mitsubishi Electric. Good hardware but only average software. The search categories are one problem as you discovered. Other limitations have been discussed. 3D would be nice but I don't like voice activation which is still too primitive.
    '04 XC90 2.5T, ~170K miles, ash gold/graphite, 7-seater, towing, nav
    "Objects in the mirror may be just as they appear." - Steve Forbert

Default Vns

I agree, the VNS is not that bad... but outdated. Of course no other Navigation system can be so well integrated with the car. The new garmin units (1000$ CAD) are far more useful, better coverage (don't ask me how so considering the fact that they're using Navteq maps) more POI categories, extended memory, ans so many more reason to choose it over the very expensive VNS.

Besides, the maps coverage in Canada is more than very limited. I called and emailed Navteq a few times in the past 2 years. The customer support is... well... a little strange.

That told, if the main purpose of having VNS is to quickly get to an address in a populated area, this is the right tool you're looking for. Otherise... roadtrip, extended POI, voice recognition, better coverage... you may consider to use a Garmin or pocket PC Unit.
    Volvo XC70 2004, Nautic Blue metallic, Sport PKG (DSTC, Xenia, Bi-Xenon, ZF Servotronic) VNS, rear Skid Plate, Thule evolution

Quote Originally Posted by Big
    I don't like voice activation which is still too primitive.
    Ehrr. , voice activation ?, is the RTI voice activated ?, how the h.. do you use voice commands ?
    I have had it for almost a year, and dod not know about tis !!

Best Regards Kim
    Got a 03 XC70 D5 :-)))

Quote Originally Posted by Soft
    Ehrr. , voice activation ?, is the RTI voice activated ?, how the h.. do you use voice commands ?
    I have had it for almost a year, and dod not know about tis !!

Best Regards Kim
    It doesn't have voice activation, but some factory units, like Honda/Acura do. That is an awesome system (also has touch screen), and I thought the voice activation worked very well. IMO it's certainly easier than scrolling through the rediculous letter by letter input system Volvo uses. For the price Volvo needs to offer better software.

It's sad that a $500 unit has so much more functionality. I used a Garmin Street Pilot Color for four years and loved it.

2005 XC70 Barents Blue & Taupe leather, deliv. 12/04, built 11/04
    Prem / Conv / Climate / DSTC / NAV / 650 / Sirius / 60/40 / 3rd Row / Boosters / Thule / Weathertech mats / Mud Flaps / 46% Tint / Nokian WR SUVs

serviced by Red Bank Volvo, NJ & Volvo Westport, CT
    2001 V70XC~someone else's problem vehicle now
    VolvoClub ofAmerica

Default VNS vs others

Finding a Navigation system that carries full coverage in Canada, that's what I've always been after. The lack of coverage in Canada keeps many people from adding this optional device to their car. For US citizens, the lack of POI and the outdated interface is also a concern. Of course, the VNS has dead reckoning capabilities and controls on the wheels, but it's far more easy to use the touchscreen on the Garmin or Magellan GPS.

Unfortunately, Volvo has choosen not to update its VNS. So in 2005, you get the same navigation system that the one that came on the XC70 I took 2 years ago. But the price didn't change at 2500$ CAD

for less than 1000$ you may consider the Garmin c330. Has a better screen resolution but it does save only one route: http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/garmin/spc330.htm

The streetpilot 2620 (about 900$) will save up to 50 routes but has a 8 colors screen and lower resolution: http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/ga...c330sp2620.htm )

I called Navteq today, the latest update doesn't include all of Canada. But MapSource North America City Navigator v 6.00 includes full coverage maps for the United States and Canada: http://www.gpscentral.ca/accessories...ynavigator.htm

If you plan a roadtrip, the Garmin STP 2610 (about 800$) is exactly what you need: http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/ga...tpilot2610.htm

Hope this will help.

Thomas
    Volvo XC70 2004, Nautic Blue metallic, Sport PKG (DSTC, Xenia, Bi-Xenon, ZF Servotronic) VNS, rear Skid Plate, Thule evolution

actually the software, as I understand it has changed nearly every year, ever so slightly, so one can by a new nav 2004 dvd and in effect get an updated system from the 2003.

Autorouting should be able to be turned off so that the driver can insert the turns and save routes. This is a big problem for the NAV system, imo when it always wants to plot you a certain way and you always prefer to go a different route.

2005 XC70 Barents Blue & Taupe leather, deliv. 12/04, built 11/04
    Prem / Conv / Climate / DSTC / NAV / 650 / Sirius / 60/40 / 3rd Row / Boosters / Thule / Weathertech mats / Mud Flaps / 46% Tint / Nokian WR SUVs

serviced by Red Bank Volvo, NJ & Volvo Westport, CT
    2001 V70XC~someone else's problem vehicle now
    VolvoClub ofAmerica

Thumbs up I am surprised

Well what a load of spanners we have here.

I have just had a free ride on a D5 with all the works (I am planning to do a comparison so I don't want to spoil the outcome) but I think for what it is it is very good, it is primarily a point to point direction guiding system, it is not designed to take you to Macy's in Florida.

I think the new unit in the new MY06 D5 will be a little better but for what it does and how it does it I was well impressed. Watch my comparison in the coming days for further coverage.

Default be aware of full coverage

There is something all of us should be aware of: http://www.gpsnuts.com/GARMIN/CN/citynav.htm

As stated in the review, the full coverage in Canada is somehow... not. Also, see how the navigator takes you for the ride of your life if you ask it to get you from the North to the South.

Thomas

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast