Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Stuck Fuel Filler Door

Although I don't post often, I visit this website often, and I don't remember seeing anything about this problem.

My fuel filler door won't open. When the button is pushed, clicking can be heard at the door, and the message is that the door is unlocked, but the door won't open as it it is still latched at the top. If tried unsuccessfully to "slip" the latch and push pull etc. Of course there is little gas in it so it is a problem, (because the car is in the middle of nowhere too) and there is no obvious way of opening it from the inside. Has anybody else had this happen? Is this common? Any ideas on how to open this? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    '04 XC70 - Ruby Red/Taupe, Premium, Touring
    '07 Chevy Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by redwagon04
    Although I don't post often, I visit this website often, and I don't remember seeing anything about this problem.

My fuel filler door won't open. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    My first impression is that the latch is just stuck. While someone presses the push in on the door and see if that loosens it enough to allow the latch to open. If not hit the door with your fist while someone pushes the button. That might just give it enough clearance for the latch to click open. Then put a very small amount of Door Eze (?) on the latch.

DonWillson

FWIW: On a trip one day my fuel door would not open. I repeatedly pushed the switch, etc. No luck. Finally, I started the car and turned it off, and then tried again and it functioned properly. This happened about a year ago and never happened again.

Bill
    Bill
    63 PV544 (attempted restoration)
    83 245 DL OSD (transferred to son)
    85 240 GL OSD (transferred to son)
    03 XC70 OSD (traded-in 4/12)
    05 AWD S80 OSD (transferred to son)
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

Quote Originally Posted by DonWillson
    My first impression is that the latch is just stuck. While someone presses the push in on the door and see if that loosens it enough to allow the latch to open. If not hit the door with your fist while someone pushes the button. That might just give it enough clearance for the latch to click open. Then put a very small amount of Door Eze (?) on the latch.
    I feel like an idiot: I did not know that XC70 had a push button to open the fuel latch. Where is it located? I know that my fuel latch locks and unlocks automatically.

Ta-ta, janusz
    Second gen., Nautical Blue XC70Volvo: "Anything else just isn't up to it" and Wife's Volvo S70: "In manual Transmission She Trusts"

The button is on the left side of the dashboard near the side air vent.

Bill
    Bill
    63 PV544 (attempted restoration)
    83 245 DL OSD (transferred to son)
    85 240 GL OSD (transferred to son)
    03 XC70 OSD (traded-in 4/12)
    05 AWD S80 OSD (transferred to son)
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

Talking

This must be a USA thing, there cannot be a button I have missed ?? :-)
    XC70 MY03 D5
    Got a 03 XC70 D5 :-)))

Quote Originally Posted by BillAileo
    The button is on the left side of the dashboard near the side air vent.

Bill
    Thanks Bill. I will look for it Talk about being a nincompoop. I have driven my car for so long . . .

Thanks.
    janusz
    Second gen., Nautical Blue XC70Volvo: "Anything else just isn't up to it" and Wife's Volvo S70: "In manual Transmission She Trusts"

Default Update

After trying everything, I finally gave up and got it to the nearest dealer.

The service guy had an interesting comment this morning...."that happens, but usually in the cold weather." It turns out that the actuator (piston) was broken and had to be replaced. I find it disappointing that there is no alternative to open this like a pull cable or something....although I understand this is an electric system rather than a mechanical one. This makes me want to grind the fuel door locking tab so it won't lock any more....Oh well.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.
    '04 XC70 - Ruby Red/Taupe, Premium, Touring
    '07 Chevy Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by redwagon04
    After trying everything, I finally gave up and got it to the nearest dealer... I find it disappointing that there is no alternative to open this like a pull cable or something...
    Now IMO that really is not good engineering practice. I would have expected that all remote fuel door latches would have a secondary manual release in the cargo area. The solenoid fails or jams and if your fuel level is low you have to be towed to a Volvo dealer. All because of a poor quality part and/or poor design in a secondary (actually unnecessary) system which isn't even part of the drive train!

Does anyone know how the dealer tech gets it open? If there isn't an easy way I don't think it would be over-reacting to never let the fuel level get below 1/4 or 1/3!
    '04 XC70, Ash Gold / Taupe, Premium, Touring, Tinted Rear Glass, Rear Skyddsplåt, Wing Profile Load Bars, USA Spec 11,
    StonGard Light Protection, Yokohama YK740 GTXs, Meyle HD Sway Bar Links, ipd HD TCV, subframe & top brace poly bushing inserts,
    TitaniumTim XC Cup-holder Coasters.

Pennhaven,
    I see, we are in the middle of the ETM story. But this does not mean (thanks for God) that if any problem happens to any Volvo this will be a worldwide disease, and will involve you or me.
    There were problems with the fuel door's hing (as I remember), so it has proved to be not a very good construction. I agree, we should not over react this.
    My04 XC70 ocean blue, 2.5T petrol, AWD, manual, DSTC, Nokian WR

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast