Default Overhead DVD system... any ideas???

Hi, I am new here and appreciate all the information everyone is willing to share. We purchased an 01 V70XC in March and have been enjoying it more than any car we have ever owned.

I purchased a Delphi Overhead DVD system for my wife for mothers day and am trying to figure out how to mount it. Here is a link to the product I purchased... http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Delph...oductDetail.do

I have installed DVD systems in the last two cars we owned. This one looks a bit more tricky. I think I will have to build some type of support system because I want to mount it behind the sunroof. There is no roof support to mount it to because the interior cover for the sunroof slides back in this area.

Does anyone have any suggestions for this installation? Any ideas or photos from experience would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Hasn't anyone installed something like this??

I am going to start the installation tonight. I pulled the trim ring from the sunroof and it looks like there is a pretty good crossbar just behind the sunroof. I think I can cut a 4 inch piece of aluminum sheet metal and make a second crossbar which will sit about six inches behind the current one. The little bump in the headliner behind the sunroof will have to be cut out but I need a channel for my wires anyway. I will take pictures as I go and post them when I'm done.

Wish me luck!

Any ideas would still be greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to see the result :-)

Kim
    Got a 03 XC70 D5 :-)))

Good Luck Idaho!!!
    Kaiserslautern Scott
    XC-90, Black Sapphire,V-8, Climate, Touring, Convenience, Exterior styling, Nav, Tow, DVD, Xenon

Quote Originally Posted by 01XC70Idaho
    Hasn't anyone installed something like this??

I am going to start the installation tonight. I pulled the trim ring from the sunroof and it looks like there is a pretty good crossbar just behind the sunroof. I think I can cut a 4 inch piece of aluminum sheet metal and make a second crossbar which will sit about six inches behind the current one. The little bump in the headliner behind the sunroof will have to be cut out but I need a channel for my wires anyway. I will take pictures as I go and post them when I'm done.

Wish me luck!

Any ideas would still be greatly appreciated.
    I hope your project works out well Personally I prefer DVD that is built into the headrest; it makes it much more cleaner design and easier to deal with.

Good luck.
    Ta-ta, janusz
    Second gen., Nautical Blue XC70Volvo: "Anything else just isn't up to it" and Wife's Volvo S70: "In manual Transmission She Trusts"

Here is mine:

It's 10.2 inches and it can play DVD's from a custom fitted DVD player in the glovebox or from the Xbox in the cargo area.

I'm due to get my car back today so I'll post some pics final pics of the install in a new post.
    2001 XC - Ash Gold

Thumbs up Install Complete!

Well, the install is complete! Only one problem... I sometimes get on a roll and before I even realized it, I had the headliner half way back in without any pictures.

There is a really nice crossbar just behind the sunroof. The trim ring from the sunroof actually clicks onto the edge of this bar. I was able to use four small screws (with nuts and lockwashers... and RED locktite ) and mounted the plate for the DVD system under this crossbar. I placed the screws in the valleys of this crossbar so the sunroof cover could still slide back without scratching over the top of them.

Then to support the front of the unit, I made a second crossbar similar to the one already in the car and mounted it to the sunroof rails just like the other one was. It is very sturdy and has no bounce in it whatsoever. When the unit is screwed into the mounting plate it sort of squeezes the headliner between it and the mounting plate... this makes it even stronger.

Here are some pictures of the finished product. Notice the unit is all one piece. The DVD's are inserted and ejected just above the dome lights. It works just like an in-dash CD player. The dome lights come on with the main dome lights, or you can push a button on the unit and turn them on by themselves. This is a great feature because the rear dome light is so far back the driver and passenger can barely reach them.

I would highly recommend this DELPHI unit... especially for $499.99! They also have a 10" model (this is the 8").

Great job and great pics. Thank you.
    My04 XC70 ocean blue, 2.5T petrol, AWD, manual, DSTC, Nokian WR

Default Where are the photos from the installation itself ??

Hi, much more intresting: the photos from the installation. Are there any pics from the mounting? Some details?

Regards
    Torsten - the www.xc-fan.de

Default No "during" pictures.

Sorry... like I said in my post... I got a little carried away and had the headliner almost all the way in before I realized I hadn't taken pictures.

I used the factory crossbar behind the sunroof for the main support. Then I just created another crossbar of my own similar to the factory one. If you pull your headliner you will see what I am talking about. My homemade crossbar mounted to the sunroof rails just like the factory one.

You could mount this unit using only the factory crossbar, but it would be a little flimsy at the front of the unit. I imagine it would bounce up and down when you drove on a bumpy road. The second crossbar is the way to go.