Talking On the lighter side...

On a more positive note.

I took my Cross Country out to the racetrack today. A Kart track in the desert. Had a nice time, but, on the way back, I let the car wander. Wander into the desert. A local 4 wheeling area (Must be a billion square miles or somethin) near our home in Grand Junction Colorado. The "Western Slope". We've got a lot of space out here, so the ETM failing is a concern when I'm out there, but, so the car went out off road into the dirt, but something was funny, the usual dirt road had a sweet spot. Manicured it seemed. No potholes (I been out here trying to get my old Chevy's 4WD to work before("Like a rock", right)). I was driving the usual 20 out here. Hmm, waved to the sheriff going the other way, wont be another one of those for a while, and started going 30, 40, 50... Wow, this road is cool!, It was tight, winding over little hills, and beautifully banked. I settled in at this speed. Kickin up some rooster tail, car is great, it wants to go faster. The curves are fantastic. The car mildly sliding, but, absolutely neutral, sliding gracefully. Jeez, I feel like swedish hero Ahaken Anapuken. WeeHHHHHHH. so I go for it. The auto tranny has become another transmission. Revs are up, the engine holding from 3500 to 4000 through most of the time. Now we're doing 70 on the fast straights, and I just am going every other speed through the corners, I didn't look. WEEEEEE!, and all of a sudden, the manicure ended. Oh #$%^&. BaBandg! Ok, so I didn't know it ended, got er slowed down and drove 15 for a minute. Turned around and really went for it this time!

Came home with a smile. Gonna take my friend Michael for a ride tomorrow at lunch!
    Lee
    99 v70xc
    1984 Porsche Carrera Targa
    Get a manual and work on your Volvo yourself!
    Best cars to work on bar none. (although we may have to...)

That sounds like fun! A local 4WD club here had a "meet and greet" this past Sunday and I almost took the XC out to join them on the trail ride. I really wanted my K5 but it's 650 miles away. :-(

I had a similar experience a few weeks ago on I-65 in north Alabama. Seems that there was a really smooth, straight stretch of x-way with nobody in sight in both directions, and I hadn't really noticed that the speedo goes to 145 mph, sooooo .... I chickened out at around 110. Besides - I was coming up on an overpass and didn't want someone merging in front of me at that speed.

But it felt damn nice !!!!
    Mike
    Bluegrass-XC
    (Somewhere on the Space Coast)

2000 V70 SE Cross Country
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer 4x4 (in Blazer Heaven)

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool -
    than to open your mouth and remove all doubt".

Ok...
    You are starting to find out how much fun the XC really is, next time try a CD...Buffet works for me!

Buffet? As in Jimmy? Never thought of him as "road music". I have an assortment of rock, blues and jazz that I take with me on long trips.
    Mike
    Bluegrass-XC
    (Somewhere on the Space Coast)

2000 V70 SE Cross Country
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer 4x4 (in Blazer Heaven)

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool -
    than to open your mouth and remove all doubt".

Talking More fun

So Michael and I went back the next day. Whew!

Oh, when I was doing the first drive, I had The Cars greatest hits on...

I couldn't scare him, but we were both smiling. How many things in life can you do twice?

Tonight, I found the tailgate plastic inner liner had came adrift. I laughed...
    Last edited by just66horns; 04-12-2005 at 08:22 PM. Reason: I forgot...
    Lee
    99 v70xc
    1984 Porsche Carrera Targa
    Get a manual and work on your Volvo yourself!
    Best cars to work on bar none. (although we may have to...)