17 10.24%
  • Worried about My Volvo dying in the desert

37 22.29%
  • I have more than 80K miles without a failure

31 18.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Throttle Module

Started going around 60K miles. Had it replaced at my expense (partial coverage under 3rd party extended warranty.

Default Contact NHTSA

Very Very important to all involved that you go to the NHTSA site and submit a complaint on the Throttle Module failure if you haven'te already done so.
    1999 V70 XC Dark Blue/Taupe - Gas/Auto Trans. with Nokian WRG2s 205/65/15
    2002 Acura TL White/Tan

Who do we complain to and what do they do about it?

My warning light came on briefly this past weekend and then went off when I restarted the vehicle. I've already had to replace the AWD on my 00xc. I really don't know if I want any more trouble out of this vehicle and I am thinking of selling it. I don't want to jump the gun but this vehicle seems to have a lot of problems.

I JUST COMPLAINED..do they contact you for further information?

Sorry, sounds like you are soon to have a $1000 ETM failure.

Nowadays, since the ETM problem has generated enough complaints at the NHTSA, they will likely contact you by phone for additional info.

The number of complaints has finally reached a threshold that gets an investigator assigned, and a response.

EVERYONE should register a complaint with the NHTSA, it is the ONLY way to get any action or satisfaction ... it is obvious that VOLVO doesn't care about it's customers enough to do it without prompting by a govt. agency.

RARMSTRONG ... After I fixed mine, and before it fails again, I traded my C70 for a more reliable vehicle that won't strand me on the highway. I suggest you restrict your driving to within 50-100 miles of the nearest Volvo repair center, because the towing bill can be enormous. I also suggest you don't alllow any "timid" drivers to operate this vehicle, as loss of power and steering can be quite daunting to an unsuspecting operator.

Volvo = "Legendary Lip Service"
    Ex-C70 owner
    ---------------
    VEXED

Bud,
    When the contact me what will happen? Will they force Volvo to replace?
    Thanks again!
    rob

Default Tbd

What the NHTSA will do remains to be seen....however, the more people who complain about Throttle Module failures and the consequences of those failures the more likely they will be to institute a recall. Problem so far has been 1) people haven't realized that this is something they should contact NHTSA about and thus it's been "under the radar" and 2) they have been putting it under many different categories of problem within the NHTSA web site and making it unclear to NHTSA that most of these failures are the result of the faulty Throttle Module. It's a huge problem that impacts most model year 99-01 Volvos and is't a miracle that there have been few injuries. Failures result in a variety of problems that could easliy cause injury. The key is making the NHTSA aware of the magnatude of the issue.

When they contact you they will ask a variety of questions regarding the nature and consequences of the failure. Just give them the facts.
    1999 V70 XC Dark Blue/Taupe - Gas/Auto Trans. with Nokian WRG2s 205/65/15
    2002 Acura TL White/Tan

Bought my wife an '01 V70 XC (63k) at the beginning of the month from Volvo Richardson (TX). Noticed a hesitation at highway speeds in Dallas (we live in NW Ark). Sr Service Tech swore up and down it was just the "different handling characteristics of the AWD" even after we drove the car three times with him. Found it odd, but figured we were buying the car Volvo Certified. Returned home and within an hour found this forum and figured it was the ETM. The car had been serviced entirely by another Dallas-area dealer so I called them. They said the last tme they saw the car they recommended the ETM be changed. Apparently the previous owner decided it was time to trade it in. Anyway, my wife took the car to Tulsa to get it checked out. The first dealer she took it to would not even look at it, even though I had talked to them the day before and they said bring it in. I made a call to Jackie Cooper Volvo and they said bring it over. Within a three minute test drive they said it was the ETM. Surprise, it is covered under the Volvo Certified warranty. However, Richardson Volvo had just submitted the paperwork so it would be 3-4 weeks. Called Richardson and ripped them a new one having felt like they were well aware of the problem but figured if they could get us back to Arkansas we would be someone else's problem. Wrong answer! After much discussion, Richardson agreed to pay for the repair. The icing on the cake? Jackie Cooper's service writer charging sales tax due to Richardson being out of state. They did offer a 10% discount to them (almost enought to cover the tax). The service writer told the sales manager at Richardson that maybe next time they should consider making the repair themselves since we had them drive it three times. Sweet!

Anyway, we love the car and I guess you could say we were approaching failure and Volvo covered the cost. Thanks to Jackie Cooper Volvo. You have a customer for life.

*Sorry for the length of the post, I've been saving the rant for awhile*

Thanks, good to hear a story that turned out well.

However, the replacement part is the same faulty design, so expect another ETM failure around 50-60,000. Some people have had trouble with the new ETM after only 10,000 miles, so always be aware that the time-bomb is lurking under the hood.
    Ex-C70 owner
    ---------------
    VEXED

When I spoke with NHTSA, they commented that their numbers show 66,000 for the failure point.

It seems to me that ETM has overshadowed some of the other areas of concern such as: the ABS unit, the upper torque bushing, the turbo O ring, etc.

This car should be renamed the V70 AX for Anxiety. I've never been so concerned with something inevitably going wrong with a car.

I sold my 850 at 260,000 miles without having any major problems. It still had the original clutch.
    2000 V70 XC, 2003 Nissan 350Z, 1996 Saab 900S

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast