Default Elliptical crossbar installation guide?

Decided to go with the elliptical crossbars and have unpacked them. The instructions pointed to my user manual (which I have misplaced).

The nifty tool can easily rotate the plastic plugs, but they don't seem to pop out and I don't want to force them. I'm pretty sure they come out since it seems to be the place for the hex wrench to go. Any helpful hints from someone who has installed these things?

Thanks in advance.
    2004 XC70 - Metallic Crystal Green/Touring/Versatility/Nav

Okay- I couldn't remember how this worked, so I went out and looked (the wrench was even in the glovebox where I left it...!)

Using the tool, rotate 90 deg in either direction. This will loosen the cap. Lift up (toward the center of the bar on the whole square cap assemble. The cap is attached to a rubber leash. The plugs don't come out, they are just the anchor for the cap. The torx bolt to fasten the bar to the rack is underneath about a inch forward on the bottom plate.

Good luck. Don't feel stupid when you realize what you were doing wrong... it's just that Volvo's "controls" are too "intuitive" for the common "man."
    Current Volvos
    2012 XC70, OSD, Twilight Bronze/Espresso
    2008 C70, OSD, Celestial Blue/Cream Sovereign

Former Volvos
    2009 XC70 Oyster/Black
    2006 S60R Black Sapphire/Nordkap
    2003 XC70, OSD, Ash/Espresso
    2000 S40, Ice White/Black

Thanks for the solution. So simple, I was rotating it by 180 degrees and it wouldn't budge, at 90 degrees it's sooo easy to work.
    2004 XC70 - Metallic Crystal Green/Touring/Versatility/Nav