Default Buy Protection for Fog Lights?

I just paid for our Volvo XC70 for OSD 4/4/05. The Seattle dealer tired to sell me front headlight protection for $270, which sounds like a 3M film product overlaid on the lights and a guarantee relacement on front lights for 5 years. Did anyone take that? What do you think?

Thx

Thumbs down Near rip off

$40 + P&P and you can order straight away, that's how much they are in the UK.Give me a PM if you are interested

They are like the ones in the product review area (I think)

I know this is the wrong shot but thy are the round type for your car, these are for the V70.

Let me know asap.

Default Headlights only or entire nose?

There are at least two types of plastic protection available for aftermarket protection. There is the 60mm film for the headlight glass, available from numerous aftermarket sources for much less that $270.

The second type of protection is a clear film applied over the entire nose of the car to protect the paint from minor rock chips. $270 would appear to be quite cheap for this level of protection, so I'll guess this is not the option you are inquiring about.

I looked into purchasing and applying the 3M film on my headlamps. Then my mechanic said that, in his experience, it made the lamps hotter and subsequently the bulbs burned out more often. His suggestion was to hold onto my money and buy a used headlamp assembly IF I ever needed one, such as on eBay. I took his advice, and am taking my chances, even in Oregon where gravelling the roads is the local response to ice and snow. No rust and corrosion problems, only a thriving windshield repair and replacement industry in Oregon. My '89 745t is on its third windshield, BTW, yet I have only found one rock chip in the headlamps in 10 years.
    1999 XC70 Nautical blue/taupe, Cannondale Spica wheels, ipd skid plate (weekends)
    1991 Alfa Romeo 164S (daily driver)
    1967 Ford Mustang coupe (show car)
    ...and several other Italians ... (for fun)

Default Pick 'em up at OSD

Quote Originally Posted by dseattle
    I just paid for our Volvo XC70 for OSD 4/4/05. The Seattle dealer tired to sell me front headlight protection for $270, which sounds like a 3M film product overlaid on the lights and a guarantee relacement on front lights for 5 years. Did anyone take that? What do you think?

Thx

Dseattle,

You should be able to get fog light protectors when you go to Sweden to get your vehicle. I know of at least one forum member -- barrysharp -- also in the Seattle area -- who purchased his when he picked up his MY '03 a few years ago. Not sure if he got them at the Factory Delivery Center or at a local accessories shop, but I assume that the folks at the FDC could point you in the right direction. Barry indicated that he paid about $12 each for them, but that was a couple of years ago. He carried them back with him for Sweden and when his car eventually showed up, he installed them in about five/ten mins. Anyway...I just throw it out as another option for you.
    Cheers, Gary

2022 XC60 B5/Black
    2021 XC60 T5/ Osmium Gray (Wife's)
    2017 XC60 T6/ Bright Silver (Loaned to my Son)
    2015.5 XC70/Silver (Loaned to my Daughter)

2007 XC70/Rubyred (RIP)
    2003 XC70/Platinum Green (RIP)
    2001 V70/White (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by gary
    Dseattle,

You should be able to get fog light protectors when you go to Sweden to get your vehicle. I know of at least one forum member -- barrysharp -- also in the Seattle area -- who purchased his when he picked up his MY '03 a few years ago. Not sure if he got them at the Factory Delivery Center or at a local accessories shop, but I assume that the folks at the FDC could point you in the right direction. Barry indicated that he paid about $12 each for them, but that was a couple of years ago. He carried them back with him for Sweden and when his car eventually showed up, he installed them in about five/ten mins. Anyway...I just throw it out as another option for you.
    Tis true - The FDC installed for light plastic protectors for free and the set cost $12. I also picked up three sets of plastic headlight protectors from a local Volvo accessory store in Goteborg and brought them back to US via airplane luggage. Two sets were for other XC70 forum members and cost was around $75 per set. Now this was back in Mar 2003 so things at FDC may have changed since.
    Regards -- Barry Sharp
    ==============
    Current: MY2012 XC70 T6/Twi Bronze/Espresso Brown/Polestar/Platinum/BLIS/Tech/ABL/Scuff Plates/Front&Rear cameras
    Traded 2011 C30 R-Design
    Son's '01 S60 2.3L T5,Maya Gold,96Kmi
    Son's '03 XC70 Platinum Green (OSD)
    Daughter#1 2011 XC60
    Daughter#2 2010 XC90
    SOLD '86 745 GLE 6-Cyl-Turbo Diesel,Graphite,255Kmi
    SOLD '03 XC70 to my son
    SOLD '03 XC70, '04 S60R, '07 S60R

I picked up my car in June 04. After reading about those protectors, I asked at the factory, but they were not available for the price ($12) stated here. I forgot how much it was, but it was close to $ 100, therefore I didn't get them.
    ....that was June 04.
    hd; '04 XC70 OSD, 2.5T, autom., silver/charcoal.

Quote Originally Posted by hd70
    I picked up my car in June 04. After reading about those protectors, I asked at the factory, but they were not available for the price ($12) stated here. I forgot how much it was, but it was close to $ 100, therefore I didn't get them.
    ....that was June 04.
    The $12 was for fog light protectors not headlight protectors.
    Regards -- Barry Sharp
    ==============
    Current: MY2012 XC70 T6/Twi Bronze/Espresso Brown/Polestar/Platinum/BLIS/Tech/ABL/Scuff Plates/Front&Rear cameras
    Traded 2011 C30 R-Design
    Son's '01 S60 2.3L T5,Maya Gold,96Kmi
    Son's '03 XC70 Platinum Green (OSD)
    Daughter#1 2011 XC60
    Daughter#2 2010 XC90
    SOLD '86 745 GLE 6-Cyl-Turbo Diesel,Graphite,255Kmi
    SOLD '03 XC70 to my son
    SOLD '03 XC70, '04 S60R, '07 S60R