Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My 08 XC70 started squeeking just last week - coming from the cargo area. Read on another forum ( I think it was the European car forum?) that others were having similar noises in thier Volvo XC90 models. One owner found the problem was coming from the tailgate latch (2 centering plastic plugs either side of the latch). The owner sprayed latch with silicone.
    I greased my latch with Vaseline - it worked - no more squeeking from the cargo area.
    Last edited by daveash; 08-22-2012 at 03:21 AM. Reason: pressed enter before completing reply

If you've narrowed it down to the rear hatch look (carefully) at the actual latch, the portion attached to the tailgate
    See if it's worn on the inside or outside edges.
    First try a liberal use of thick grease on the latch.
    If that fixes it or helps a lot, you may need a new latch
    It may just need an adjustment but I've had a couple that only a new lock replacement fixed it.

I just had a frustrating one.
    The 04 V70 I bought for myself but sold it instead (last May) had this awful squeak that no one could fix.
    The friend I sold it to gave it back to me three times until we finially found what was wrong.
    The bushing that went between the bolt that held the back seats together was cracked so every time the left rear seat was up, it created these awful noises that were really tough to find. (sounds in the rear travel).
    Yours though sounds like the hatch latch itself, either worn or out of adjustment
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

The noise can drive you crazy when you are trying to identify the source. I am trying to hunt the culprit and so happy when it was apprehended. Lol.
    DC

2002 V70XC - Polarartic/Oak, ESR, 5AT Geartronic, leather package, factory towing kit, tinted windows and screens, tracker, sunglass holder, center console cup holder, nylon cargo barrier, luggage net, Ipod connectivity, R instrument gauges 150k kms to date

Canada: Calgary Alberta - Ottawa Ontario - Pender Island BC

Please keep posting on any solutions you come across. I love the XC but those squeaks have been persisting for too many years. I recently removed every interior panel from the back seats onwards. All to no avail. The XC has become my daily driver as our Avalon was stolen last week (grr) so i'd love to reslve this once and for all.
    '04 XC70 Canadian Premium and Sport packages, Black
    '06 XC70 Ocean Race Model, IPD to 240 hp, 18" rims, Deep Blue
    Other rigs: '06 Toyota Avalon, '15 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12