View Poll Results: So who twists their own wrenches?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Level 1 - Basic (oil change)

8 7.77%
  • Level 2 - Intermediate (suspension bushings)

55 53.40%
  • Level 3 - Advanced (engine/tranny swap)

30 29.13%
  • Level 4 - Owner (I only drive it)

10 9.71%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I can:

-replace thermostat
    -replace cabin air filter
    -replace light bulbs
    -change oil
    -change spark plugs
    -change fuses
    -maybe drain ATF?

But I can't do anything too advanced at this point. I'm still learning a lot about my car.
    2000 V70XC 2.4L Turbo - Emerald Green -245,000 miles

I love to work on my Volvo XC70 02 !!

The problem is that now most electrical work require a computer setup/reset done at the dealership only. I have been out of passenger door opening, passenger door electric window and now rear view mirror passenger side because changing the module is not sufficient you still need to visit the dealer for computer reboot (or whatever they call it).

All cars are becoming more computer dependent and soon we won't be able to do anything on it besides changing the oil and filling it with gas.

you name it I have done it and then some
    2012 Ford Fusion 2004 V70XC 01 V70XC -M66 1998 C70 T5-M66

I do 95%+. Some things are just not cost effective to buy tools, etc, to do. I am now semi-retired, but spent most of my working life as a licensed Master Auto/Truck and Motorcycle mechanic. I have been a line mechanic for BMW, M-B, Nissan, Pontiac, Hon/Yam/Kaw/Suz, Polaris, SkiDoo, Triumph, (both Meriden and Hinckley), Ducati. Worked in many race and prototype shops, body shops and been in the antique/vintage motorcycle parts and restoration business for what seems a lifetime. I currently run a small (very small!) business restoring, buy/sell British vintage bikes out of my shop behind the house to augment my paltry retirement. I have found that I much prefer working on bikes rather than cars. You stay a lot cleaner with bikes, they take up much less room and the people and events involved are just more fun. I'll be 63 in a few weeks and crawling under cars is getting to be a real pain. I do all my own mechanical, save for precision machining, painting, powdercoating, buffing and polishing, and tuning on the bikes. Bikes demand that the work done must not only function properly, but it has to look "right", too. It is much, much more exacting and I like working to high standards. With cars, you can shut the hood. Unless you're building a high end street rod or similar, lots of things are just not seen. No one will call you out for marking up a bolt head; on bikes, everything you "goober" sticks out like a sore thumb. Besides, if the weather is nice enough to take out your street rod, or muscle car, etc, it's nice enough to ride a bike and I would much rather ride one of my Norton Commandos than some car.

iam lucky my brother in law is a vw speciallist and he has ALOT of experience there isnt anything he doesnt know. So iam his unofficial apprentice, and all i know is down to him. cheers ben! Was actually thinking about buying an LPG conversion kit. Anyone fitted one themselves ?

I change my vote to cat A although I have done my radiator abs module. I'm getting into this more thanks to all the help from these forums. Donate every now and then to keep them alive. Think of the money you've saved.

1999 V70XC Silver - IPD Sway Bars, IPD TCV, SNABB intake, Amsoil Dry EA nano-fibre panel filter
    2008 C30 T5 Cosmic White Manual - Fun fun fun
    1983 - Volvo DL wagon - RIP - Volvo saved my life.

Use snow tires.
    AWD + all season tires + snow = stuck in deepr $#&@

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123